Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

Hi
did not want to create a bug already now:

i am running whisperfish on volla phone with dualboot.
whisperfish consumes constantly 10%+ cpu. actually 12-13%.

am i the only one ?

1 Like

Interesting! Iā€™m only seeing about 0-1%, but Iā€™m not constantly monitoring. Running OpenRepos release, or master? Feel free to file a bug with your setup (possibly with a guesstimate of your database size), usually thatā€™s a better channel than the forum to discuss. Also: does this happen right after starting, or after network switching, or ā€¦ ?

For the starters, thanks for the great app! It is sleek and working properly.
I guess I found a bug (at least not mentioned here). I filed it in GitLab (my first one ever and without any logs). The issue is quite straightforward: if I change the ambience, Whisperfish does not change font colours etc. XA2 Ultra with Koli, I have had Whisperfish since 0.5 I guess.

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually a known bug, but the developers donā€™t have a fix for it yet:

1 Like

Dang, didnā€™t notice.

No problem; closed yours as duplicate.

Iā€™ll repeat it: please upvote the issues that apply to you, because I use the thumb-up-counter as priority list.

2 Likes

PSA: OWS is tying off groupv1 support as fast as I am writing groupv2 support. I estimate a few days before groupv2 starts to work. Weā€™re very close now, the UUID-rework is mostly done.

The new Signal Desktop now shows a nag screen and hides the text input. Android and iOS clients might do the same. Weā€™ll get there very soon now.

12 Likes

I get

bash: zypper: not found

What do I do?

I just posted it on OpenRepos too: Try

pkcon install zypper

That should install zypper, and from there you should be able to continue.

Sorry for the inconvenience. This will not be necessary in SailfishOS 4.1 :slight_smile:

With all the work you put into this, donā€™t be sorry. Thanks for the help! Seems to be working now.

Strange thing is that I had some messages on Signal before and thus some contacts, but there is nothing there now. Doesnā€™t seem to know that some of my contacts use Signal.

Cordially,
Martin

2 Likes

If you did a clean install, everything starts from scratch indeed. Contact discovery is on the wish-list, but currently not (re)implemented.

https://github.com/Michael-F-Bryan/libsignal-service-rs/pull/52 and https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/issues/133 if you want to upvote some stuff on Gitlab :wink:

1 Like

My Android app doesnā€™t see any contacts either. Soā€¦ No problem. Iā€™ll try to get the ones I need some other way.

Iā€™ll see if I can get access to upvote. Thanks!

1 Like

Update, with great news! I have implemented a very basic Group V2 system. Itā€™s limited to ā€œbeing addedā€ to groups (invitation donā€™t work, invite links donā€™t work, inviting others donā€™t work, etc), and of course talking in it.

Weā€™re doing the final clean-up, and I will then update OpenRepos with our first (and hopefully only) beta version.

To all that can and are willing to test: please join us on Matrix/IRC. If you know how to start an app from command line, know how to copy-paste logs from a console, and are not afraid of a bit of Linux trickery in case things go haywire (probability is low there), please come and join us on Matrix/IRC and give me a ping. Feedback is crucial here, if I release it to OpenRepos with many bugs, weā€™re going to face a lot of unnecessary bug reports.

21 Likes

Great news! Thank you for your hard work!

I understand that weā€™ll be able to join a Group V2. What about groups we are already in and that contacts convert in Group V2, would that work for us?

Yes. If your contacts get a message that you canā€™t be directly added to the v2-ified group and you need to be invited first, you can use Signal Desktop to accept the invitation.

Indeed, what @nthn says; either someone adds you to an existing group, or they have invited you. In the second case, you can accept the invitation from Signal Desktop. If you canā€™t do that for some reason, you can ask them to add you again (but that hasnā€™t been tested by anyone afaik).

If everything moves smoothly with the people that are currently testing, and when Iā€™ve fixed the above four bugs, Iā€™ll pull out beta.1 by the end of the week.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve just tagged 0.6.0-beta.1. Itā€™s on OpenRepos by the time your read this! It is still beta quality software. Be aware that it may :fork_and_knife: your :fish: , it could :poop: a :brick:, and send unwanted :framed_picture: to your :family_man_girl_girl: . Be prepared to submit bugs.

Highlights:

• A revamp of the whole UI. Itā€™s seriously impressive, thanks to @ichthyosaurus
    • Note that many new UI elements have been added, but some of them (reply/quote, notably) are not yet implemented.
  • Linking with Signal Desktop (go to Settings and pull down)
  • A revamp of the back-end database, which paves the path for implementing all the fancy new Signal features.
  • Implementation of GroupV2. You can now be added to new-style groups; invitations do not yet work. Group upgrades also should work.

You can check whether your group is of the ā€œnew typeā€, by swiping to the group overview page (also revamped by @ichthyosaurus). Itā€™ll show a little text on top to tell you about the upgrade status.

These are only the highlights, please do take a look on Openrepos to check the full (and huge) change log.

Some notes w.r.t. GroupV2

GroupV2 (ā€œnew groupsā€) is a huge beast. This beta version enables you to join these groups and talk in them. Ironically, thatā€™s actually the easiest part of GroupV2. We had a lot of technical debt to pay off (inheritance from Whisperfish 0.5 and our ad-hoc rewrite: DB migrations and UUID-based sessions) before we could implement it all though. These are some important things to consider:

1. You can only be added to a group. You cannot be invited, you cannot ā€œjoinā€ a group or request to be joined.
  2. Groups can be updated, but:
  • It may take a few minutes (up to a few hours) before your other group members see you as group-v2-compatible. Send them a direct message to kick off the process.
  • When the group is updated, you may see ā€œunknownā€ members (without phone number, but with a hexadecimal UUID). These people map on members that you miss, and it will resolve itself over time when these people start talking or send you a message. Speed up the process again by sending them a message.
  • If the group is already updated, then you can be readded. Ask a group member in a direct message to add you to the group (not invite, but add). The old group will automatically be merged with the already upgraded group.
  1. You cannot at the current time alter your own profile. Iā€™ve been egoistic though, and Iā€™ve made my own profile hard-coded with a :tropical_fish: as emoji, because SailfishOS, of course.

Once again, upvote the features that you want most on Gitlab, request new stuff, report bugs, and upvote bugs that affect you. Closing the feedback loop is important, keeping the loop tight reduces bugs and their impact on others.

Happy chatting!

Ruben

17 Likes

There are now also people from KDE and beyond working on Whisperfish to make it available on Plasma, Ubuntu Touch, etc. Not that much related to Sailfish but more good news nonetheless :raised_hands: :partying_face:.

13 Likes

Right, I was 100% planning on putting that as a highlight, but glanced over that :slight_smile:

More developers from more backgrounds for more features for all of us!

6 Likes

I have used Whisperfish in the past and have now a big problemā€¦how do I keep the history, when currently using the Signalā€™s Android app? Is it somehow possible with a linked desktop client?