Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

I see a lot of ‘The group was updated’ but still no ‘xyz joined via an invitation’ or similar. Is that expected?

I am in your category 1. However, I am unable to link an ipad as a secondary device. It fails with a generic error message on the tablet. Is it your thoughts that linking/adding secondary devices to a primary whisperfish account should now be working?
Thanks for all the work and the continuing updates,

1 Like

That is still intentional. We don’t support group update messages yet (which provides that info) and fall back to updating the full group instead.

I have just linked Signal Desktop with my old Whisperfish install so at least that works still. There is a delay when SD waits for some reply from WF which we don’t yet provide. Signal for Ipad can be more sensitive to those, perhaps that’s the cause…?

We don’t have any iPads to test with. Could you retry the registration with Whisperfish verbose logs enabled and send them to us (censored)? (Wiki link in the fiest post.)

1 Like

After getting your message, I thought I should try linking signal desktop, and that worked well. No problems, the link was completed successfully.
I tried the iPad again, leaving some time between attempts, and still no luck. I recorded logs, censured and posted here Linking of iPad as secondary device currently seems not to be working on beta 25 (#652) · Issues · Whisperfish / Whisperfish - Signal on Sailfish OS · GitLab .
I tried a few times whilst logging, though attempt 2 & 3 hit a rate limiter, though I think attempt 1 did not.
Let me know if I can try anything further or collect any more logs,
Thanks again,

2 Likes

Hi, today, I updated Whisperfish to the new version. Since I previously had it linked as a secondary device, I performed a reset an linked it agein. This worked perfectly fine, so thank you!

But since everything is working again with the new version now, I noticed that in groups, the Signal profile names are shown instead of the ones from my contacts. I did select the option to prioritise device contacts, and for direct messages it works, but in groups for some reason the profile names are shown.

Does anybody else have this issue?

Signal (Whisperfish) profiles and Sailfish OS contacts are linked together by using phone numbers. As Signal does not deliver phone numbers any more by default, they can’t be matched. This is actually a very good point, thanks for bringing it up!

There actually is a way to still link users in Whisperfish with contacts in Sailfish OS, but I can’t recall how I did it… It had to be done manually for every contact though. Anyway, stay tuned!

3 Likes

When reacting to messages, WF used to display the reacted smiley underneath the message instantly. Nowadays I need to swipe to main screen and back to message screen for it to update.

If I remember right … this started to occur when updating to Beta.24…(maybe Beta.23?)…but anyhow Beta.24 and Beta.25 are atleast affected… :slightly_smiling_face:

Hmm, yes, I noticed that too but didn’t make an issue yet.

1 Like

I noticed that too - it should work as before but it does not… I’ll bisect the issue some time during the weekend, I think.

Don’t bisect too far, migrations are scary :slight_smile:

Thanks for the clarification! I’ll wait for you to implement that.
Should I open an issue on GitLab for this “problem”?

If there is anything else I can do, just tell me.
And thanks for the great update! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You may definitely open an issue on Gitlab for that!

1 Like

you can somehow link them to an existing user. i have some contacts with a phone number that is actually a signal profile guid

2 Likes

btw it seems that i can start a conversion with anyone that i have in a group: great!

3 Likes

Ah yes, that’s what I did! Thanks for refreshing my memory :laughing:

I think we should be able to file some custom field in the Sailfish contact database for it too… That’s probably what should go in said issue :’-)

3 Likes

Yep, you click their name and off you go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Done! Contact in groups don't use device contact names, even if the setting tells Whisperfish to do so (#657) · Issues · Whisperfish / Whisperfish - Signal on Sailfish OS · GitLab

2 Likes

Hi, I installed Whisperfish-shareplugin-v2-0.6.0.beta_.25-0.aarch64.rpm on Xperia 10 III SFOS 4.5.0.25 via file Browser RPM MimeHandler. After launch, Whisperfish cannot connect, nor can I find a way to generate a QR code for a connected additional device on the Signal app, which is on my other Android phone.
I wanted to uninstall the Whisperfish app directly from the phone, it says it’s uninstalling, but it actually stays installed and the icon doesn’t disappear. I tried pkcon and zypper but it gives me the following identical results:

[root@Xperia10III Downloads]# zypper rm harbor-whisperfish-shareplugin-v2-0.6.0.beta_.25-0.aarch64.rpm
Reading installed packages…
Package ‘harbour-whisperfish-shareplugin-v2-0.6.0.beta_.25-0.aarch64.rpm’ not found.
Resolving package dependencies…
Nothing to do.

and nothing happens. I also tried installing it with pkcon and zypper but it gives me the messages below:

[root@Xperia10III Downloads]# zypper in harbor-whisperfish-shareplugin-v2-0.6.0.beta_.25-0.aarch64.rpm
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
‘harbour-whisperfish-shareplugin-v2 = 0:0.6.0.beta.25-0’ is already installed.
No update candidate for ‘harbour-whisperfish-shareplugin-v2-0.6.0.beta.25-0.aarch64’. The highest available version is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies…
Nothing to do.

How can I uninstall Whisperfish? I installed Molli and it works very well.