Weather-App and Widget Connection Problem

Can we please do the Meecast stuff in a separate thread? (Wasn’t there already one?)

3 Likes

Fix the Sailjail line. It’s two lines. You edited the file but used the echo ‘…’ > … syntax. So remove 'n , n and ’ - n means new line (Enter key).

2 Likes

I have the same problem in XA2 PLUS, I had not realized that the last update was on 08/23/2023 at 1:57 am, I hope jolla gives you a quick solution

Exactly, the desktop file has errors which is why you don’t see the icon/entry in the launcher.

1 Like

I think this is the currently most useful meecast thread: [4.4.0.58][Meecast][Bug] Event view not working - #31 by carmenfdezb

3 Likes

Yes and it solve my problem :slight_smile: But i have always the hope to have the Jolla app will back soon.

Thank you for sharing. Jolla Weather works great with this trick.
For 32bit devices people, the lib path is lib instead of lib64.

Will Jolla push a single rpm update to address this issue? Or is the plan to provide it with the next “major” update?

6 Likes

I am just happy it stopped when the weather was nice, so that a sun icon with 17 degrees is shown now every day.
I really hope we get the service back, because any other option just doesn’t work.

9 Likes

Just curious how meecast is working with Foreca, is it scraping html instead of api, or is adoption so low some kind of endless trial key keeps working? If you click on location and then rightmost icon it also gives hourly forecast, so should be possible to pipe that data in to the OG widget to get daily graph, got kinda used to it

1 Like

meecast uses Xpath to scrape. Not pretty, but it does work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just ordinary user. I don’t want to solve every week some problem in terminal with linux syntax. Sailfish is good system for me, don’t need Android or iOS, don’t need excellent speed or every second app on the market. But I just want to have system, which doesn’t surprise me with bugs. In this topic you wrote, go for meeast and so on, but is only way to hide the original problem.

5 Likes

I’m kind of surprised about the (lack of) handling of this problem.

It has been reported three weeks ago by several users (here, and on the Jolla Store as well). We have been given a very short (official?) answer from Jolla (by @rainemak) 20 days ago that they do know about it, they are working on it, and nothing since then. According to the discussion here it seems to be a simple API key renewal issue. How long could it take to fix this?

The Weather application is an official, pre-installed Jolla product, part of the base OS and the base functions, and it’s even part of the opening Events screen. I would expect a little bit more activity and feedback from the developer/provider/supporter on this matter. Or is this function abandoned for good now?

EDIT:
I wonder which app will be the next to stop updating. Clock maybe? :wink:

14 Likes

My guess is that this will probably just be left to die.

Jolla tradition is to be rather silent.
If in addition they are under special admin mode, they can only comment less.
I guess that temporarily they can’t allocate funds to pay 3rd pties (like Foreca). Still on the speculative side, either they survive that admin mode and resume activities or they cease to exist the way we know them. Whereas I like their Weather app, its status is less a concern in these circumstances (at least for me)

2 Likes

“You failed to pay your subscription fee to time updates!” → Enjoy never ending weekend

1 Like

Well… I wouldn’t care either (though I loved the icons), but it was one of the last functions still worked properly. It has now gone and we are left without any feedback. And that worries me.
If I were them I’d give a proper description about the problem (e.g. no funds to renew subscription), and suggest everyone to take care of their own API keys (which I’ve done anyway). Or any other kind of feedback would be appreciated.

But the api keys are only valid for 1 month, right?

The free trial lasts for 30 days, but you can have as many accounts at foreca as you wish (I haven’t tried it yet). Or you can subscribe to any of the paid services: the cheapest one is for 990 eur/year. Almost free. :wink:

4 Likes