WayDroid on SFOS?

Does waydroid lives along AppSupport/AD?
Would be nice to contain some apps in a different android-world.

Can you repost the logcat … possibly logcat will show unable to connect to vibration service, which is normally disabled. On supported ports, we enable it, so you may need to do the same.

1 Like

Thanks, very kind.
Yes, logs joined in one single file here

(When files will be deleted again, logs are also readable in my posts edit history #113 and #116)

after a few months of using it on my XZ2c, i gotta say, i love waydroid and i wouldnt go back to aliendalvik if i could.
the speed improvements alone are worth it, but having a full native-like android install instead of a closed source emulator is so handy.

problem: when i open using am start from waydriod shell, the application starts in freeform window mode, instead of normal window mode (non-immersive fullscreen).

nothing ive tried has helped, including disabling freeform mode from system settings, trying to run-as the same user as the launcher, setting different intent flags (setting windowed mode flag DOES work, for everything EXCEPT getting it to start in normal mode), reflashing SFOS + reinstalling waydroid, etc.

has anyone experienced this? any ideas for something else i could try to fix it?

@Levone1 , regarding the link in your post # 109, this link

https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1568645&postcount=22

doesn’t work. I’m very interested in running full Linux distros on SFOS!
What can I do to make it work?

1 Like

If you have X or Xc, will need to recompile kernel, with missing flag set. Should work after that. If you have never compiled a kernel before, expect a pretty big job to try to figure it out. If you know what you’re doing, it’s not.

So it’s not a version thing… just a flag?
Circumstances makes me doubt this.

That last comment was OT - referring to lxc Linux container, not (necessarily), Waydroid. I don’t know how closely connected the functions are… In the lxc thread on TMO, @edp17 said that if certain kernel flags are set, lxc container will work. One is missing on SF kernel for X…

Someone on Openrepos told me years ago, (when I was trying to figure out how to use Qemu), that you can ssh into Linux distro. Maybe something like this - XWayland Victory! - maemo.org - Talk

Oh yeah and then there was this - How to install a desktop Linux on a Sailfish device for a convergence use case? - together.jolla.com
NeilDK says debbootstrap will work…

1 Like

TMO is very sensible to VPNs in my experience. The link works for me.
Here is the thread (instead of single post) link:
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1568645#post1568645

1 Like

I use VPN, so most likely this is the reason. I will tomorrow try without VPN and then report here if it works.

It will! TMO never fails! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Btw, don’t forget to write down the steps of your linux-on-SFOS attempts to be able to report when it’ll be successful. Very interested too.

1 Like

Let me explain. The older phones are using older kernels (like the X or XC). As the kernel evolved new features were introduced. This means, on newer kernels that can be a flag to switch on but it is highly possible that on the kernel what is used by the X or XC that feature is not supported. This means you (or somebody) has to take all related changes from a newer kernel and backport to the old one. Then the flag will be available on the older kernel too. It sounds like a simple task and sometimes it really is, however, backporting a single flag could be very complex work if that flag depends on another feature, which then depends on another one, which then depends on another one and so on.
In this context, a missing flag can be a version thing.

3 Likes

Any news on gemini pda? Waydroid would unleash the missing force of it…

Hi i have Xperia 10 ii with last update and i want to install waydroid but i don’t know how.
Can you help me step by step ?

Thanks

Have the same problem as @panfila , on Volla phone, need help please!

Installed Waydroid just now from Chum, and now Browser doesn’t find network (Server not found + yellow frame) any more. As well, AllRadio doesn’t work any more, doesn’t play the stored radio stations and finds no new stations in the list.

But in fact the network itself works, because Mail, Jolla Store, Storeman, Chum have network, VPN and ping (in CLI as devel-su) to some internet server also works.

What have I done wrong? What can I do next to fix this?

1 Like

Thanks very much @miau for the link to the ‘User usage’! I will continue there…

Browser’s and AllRadio’s network access didn’t come back after 2 reboots of the phone, but a network reset by ‘Hilfsprogramme’ did it! Now it’s working fine again.

Installed now also the waydroid-runner from Chum, and now Waydroid appears on the app grid. Again a few reboots and a network reset by Hilfsprogramme were necessary, but is now OK again.

If I tap on the new ‘Waydroid’ Icon, something starts (spinning circle for 2 seconds), then ‘Android session finished’ appears with a button ‘Start Waydroid Session’ below.

Again, two reboots of network were necessary until Browser and AllRadio worked again.

Next step: ‘Install waydroid-gbinder-config-hybris or waydroid-gbinder-config-mainline depending on the type of device you have’, Unfortunately I don’t know exactly the command to do this. May I please ask for the correct syntax?