VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

@teleshoes : …coming for at least some phones and some markets…

What (tf) is ‘some markets’ in this context?? Are there different OTA updates or flashing image downloads, depending of the country where one is?

When my wife recently put her SIM card into a VoLTE capable phone that she got from her sister, after an hour or so she received an SMS saying that VoLTE compatible phone has been discovered and VoLTE and WoWiFi services have been enabled. That’s on T-Mobile Poland.

On my XA2 Ultra, while playing with it with Lineage 18.1 installed (which also supports VoLTE), I didn’t get any such SMS. Which may mean that they have some sort of whitelist and only enable it on selected devices…

i dont think there will be, of course, but VoLTE requires specific configurations that are dependent on the carrier. bearing in mind that i didnt say that there would be any markets it doesnt work in, it is at least possible that VoLTE will only work in the markets that jolla is focused on, at least out of the box.

also bearing in mind that i am not jolla and have no information you dont have, i expect there to be just one image per device, with only certain carriers VoLTE-supported, and with only certain devices having any at all.

i certainly dont expect to be able to get VoLTE on T-Mobile in USA working out of the box.

1 Like

Got such sms after switching to Xperia 10 II with Sailfish. I suppose that it depends solely on device IMEI.

It’s quite possible that phone model detection by the operator is solely IMEI based. My BlackBerry Passport (which was a test unit that BlackBerry gave me as a developer device) has IMEI number starting with 0044 rather than 35 and when I use it there is an information in my online account of the operator’s portal “Unknown device”. All other devices with normal IMEIs (including 4G routers and such) get correctly recognized.

Anyway, no such SMS on the XA2 Ultra probably means that the operator is not going to support this phone model despite it being fully VoLTE capable when Lineage OS 18.1 is installed… So even if Jolla provides VoLTE support to older models like XA2, they may not be enabled to use VoLTE by operators…

I’d presume that if VoLTE has been implemented VoNR and VoWifi should work as well since it’s all the same.

Technology Demo? Was it already demonstrated working?

Yes, see the latest blog post.

1 Like

Oh yes, seems to work (as long as it’s not just a pimped status bar:-)).
I’m case someone else wants to watch the demo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c2E69IAAvzc&feature=youtu.be

Maybe not immediately, but after VoLTE is implemented, the hard part of the work for VoWifi is hopefully done too.

2 Likes

Let’s hope for 4.5 but i did the same for 4.4. Since it is already a pain in the ass to make a call or receive one.

2 Likes

Seems they’re really doing it this time…

Xperia X is not compatible with 4G LTE? Since when?
P.S.: Vodafone Italy has switched off 3G a couple of years ago, and I am living with it since. Also finding a nice set of bugs in SFOS though.

Their databases of which phones are 4g compatible are essentially 1) limited by the necessity of not spending so much time researching every single phone ever made, and 2) designed to sell new phones.
Sadly, many phones will have 4g compatibility, but won’t be activated by the customer service people who don’t know anything except what their computer screen shows them, (but if you can get your sim activated through a different phone, it will work in the other phone).

except it wont, tho. i have a tmobile 5g-branded red simcard on one line, and it works ONLY in tmobile white-listed phones. (my old 4g-branded white tmobile simcard works, with VoLTE, in all phones that support VoLTE that ive tried, including Xperia X, XA2, Xc, and XZ2c)

if i put it in an Xperia XA2, it will find the network, connect, and then 30s later it will disconnect, and be unable to make calls, send texts, or do anything else, ever again, IN ANY PHONE, resulting in a permanently-broken simcard just by inserting it.

i did this in the tmobile store. service rep went through 3 simcards before he told me to stop.

2 Likes

[Non-constructive comment]
Aren’t these practices a bit insane?
(Tech side working but disabled by willingness, I mean)
[/Non-constructive comment]

3 Likes

insane? i dont think so. planned/forced obsolescence is a perfectly rational, profit-motivated strategy. its just that if consumers know that you’re doing it, they will leave, even if it hurts them.
telecoms have used the 2g/3g sunsetting as the perfect cover to force virtually everyone to upgrade. they’re getting away with it by offering ‘free upgrades’ to incredibly sh1tty phones that no one wants.

fukk3n evil, is what is

3 Likes

I guess they’ll just keep evolving and adapting to try to make everything as controlled as ppossible

1 Like

I would have switched to another operator for much less than that.

1 Like

And you could easily work-around this bullsh*t given you could change IMEI on your phone.
But “oh no”, it’s illegal in EU, boooo.