VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

Did you have any special settings to get T-Mobile to work on your phone? I just got a T-Mobile Sim and get no network connection.

new tmobile 5g sims appear to use a whitelist, and will not work on any Xperia phone, even in android.
i was able to insert one into an Xperia XA2 running android, make a single call, and then the sim card would not work in any phone at all ever again.

you need a 4g sim, which you can buy on the internet and then activate in the tmobile store.

3 Likes

This just fuels my personal conspiracy theory that all mobile operators secretly hate their customers :grinning:

7 Likes

Just updated to 4.4 on an Xperia 10. I can’t see any VoLTE support, can you?
Is it only on the 64 bit devices?I haven’t tried it yet on my 10ii…
Or did it not make this update?

1 Like

So far I am still able to get service using 2G! More reliable than the 4G service, too — my phone actually rings now when I get a call!

This whole situation is so ridiculous I can’t believe it.

2 Likes

note that in my previous comment, i am talking about the type of SIM card, not the actual service. tmobile has old “4g” sim cards and new “5g” sim cards. this is just a name they give different versions of their sim cards; both sim cards permit 2G, 3G, and 4G service, but only the 5g sim cards work on 5G, and only the 5g simcards appear to have a phone whitelist.

tmobile has finally sent me a notification that it will drop 3G service in july.

SFOS 4.4 release notes do not mention VoLTE at all, for any device.

It’s very interesting fact that 5G will bring new SIM cards and the old ones will be unusable for 5G. Didn’t know this until now.

edit: Q: who in the world needs 3G? 2G is highly important in parallel to 4/5G for better reliability at least for talking and sms, and availability of very cheap very small phones but 3G is IMHO for nothing.

Except you have a phone that does not support VoLTE and no 2G coverage any longer…

2G is switched off in Switzerland!

This story does not sound as if it is going to have a happy ending for sailors.

2 Likes

Why would 5G bring new simcards? Till now not the case in Germany - works with regular sims.

In France, my operator proposed me to upgrade my plan from 4G to 5G (for +3€/month) without changing the sim card.

ok, thanks for info @Inte and @phklrz , so it seems not to have a technical reason but more contract related reasons, to control who gets access to 5G network and who not. In a sense, you have to get a new contract period, new SIM, in other words you have to pay for it.

on the other hand this is good news, so no technical SIM card related barriers.

Which country are tough referring to?

to be clear, there is no TECHNICAL reason you need new sim cards for 5G. T-Mobile is presumably requiring it for 5G service, in order to enforce its whitelisting for new customers while grandfathering in the folks that will use 3G on non-VoLTE devices until the official cutoff date.

the “5g” simcards are just how T-Mobile refers to their new simcards, which behave demonstrably differently than their old simcards. (T-Mobile reps do say that the new technology requires a new simcard, but theyre obviously just lying)

1 Like

So who read the blogpost to the end and found this?

6 Likes

Yes, hopefully it’ll come soon, and it’ll improve call quality and internet stability after a call.

2 Likes

I was wondering if VoLTE will include VoNR on Xperia 10 III, or if we will have to wait for 4G to be phased out before getting it.

I suspect that the implication of the “Jolla urgently looking for new ownership” thread is that it isn’t coming.

they never said VoLTE was coming until a few months ago, and now they have given a timeline for it and a technology demo of it. even from my fairly pessimistic perspective, i think its safe to say that VoLTE probably is coming for at least some phones and some markets in the near-ish future.

i dont see how the desire for business restructuring has much to do with VoLTE. jolla already claims to not be russian-market-driven. they are just looking for someone in europe to buy out rostelecom’s piece of jolla ownership, so that putin’s stain doesnt make international cooperation impossible. even if the target market was going to change, VoLTE is not more important in russia, it is less important (3G will last for at least 3 more years in russia).
perhaps i am wrong; am i missing something here?

1 Like