VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

I feel rather relieved that this thread “suffered” a lot from the forum database rollback. Please, let us all stop discussing the Pinephone here, because the thread is about “VoLTE support in SailfishOS”. And please, let us choose our words wisely and stop personal attacks. It doesn’t help the cause.

17 Likes

Anyways, VoLTE is (going to) causing a huge waste of devices. Big pollution, big resources usage.
The brand/distribution/OS that will adapt VoLTE to a wide range of phones will mark really good points on an environmental preservation point of view.

e.g. The XA2 is a very cheap device now. But working perfectly (yes, ok, but still) for a simple daily use.
You get one used for 80-90€. Good for that price, no?

Maintaining usability of simple and cheap devices is a must today, for those who (want to show) care of environment.

7 Likes

Well I mean there are certain people that are certain their incorrect information is somehow accurate, and are bashing those who actually speak correctly.

Come on, all good now.
Besides, my impression was rather that all were right but just not able to see each other’s point.
Doesn’t matter, anyways. Thumbs up and all hopes for the next release:-)

4 Likes

VoLTE uses SIP. And SIP is a beast - independent of the used stack. So better don’t expect a bug free support in the next release.

1 Like

So, if Jolla is only enabling VoLTE for the Sony open devices that don’t have compatible US 4G or 5G bands (10ii and 10iii)…then can we port a new release of SFOS with VoLTE capabilities to a phone that is compatible with US networks after the shutdown?
Recognizing, of course, that VoLTE activation differs from phone to phone, as mentioned above. It’s not a simple solution, but this problem has no simple solution after all.
This list looks like it hasn’t been updated in while; is anyone here on the relevant IRC who could give an update?

1 Like

Beast? SIP is a fairly simple protocol.

Then you haven’t used it :wink:

Not personally, but I designed hardware on which my colleagues developed SIP calls. I dealt with far more complex protocols.

SIM card based authentication and other VoLTE specific extension to SIP. And also SRVCC won’t be easy as it’s hardware(modem) dependent. So it’s much more than simple SIP implementation.

if the phone and it’s modem can VoLTE under Android and also one half of the complete system is the original one (Sony binaries), why it’s so difficult to implement VoLTE into SFOS? Sorry for this housewife’s question, but I really don’t understand this but I want to.

2 Likes

Just follow through on your reasoning and you have the answer. Enough of it is implemented is the Java-garbage that is Android (as opposed to Linux with strange drivers) for it not to be useful here.

1 Like

As I pointed out before at least for the GeminiPDA-release there is quite some VoLTE-related stuff already in place in SfOS as well: https://forum.sailfishos.org/uploads/db4219/original/1X/e1c432984c63aff88d4235fd23e6a3b7d06dc7dd.png

1 Like

True. I am hoping the extra time Jolla is taking with this one leads to a bug free voLTE experience for at least some!

3 Likes

Has anyone given these instructions a try? [Guide][WIP][H930EU] Get VoLTE/VoWiFi functional and available | XDA Forums Or know what needs changing for an Xperia 10? I got some of the way through before backing off as I didn’t want to brick my daily driver… but all the files and folders they mention are there and accessible with permissions…

1 Like

I believe those instructions are to enable VoLTE functionality on an Android device, so it won’t work on a SF device.

3 Likes

“That of course could change in future years.”

Earth could be invaded by aliens in future years. Given the current rate at which cellular networks are being drawn down and upgraded around the world, there are no future years left. This strategy will result in a massive loss in the established Sailfish userbase.

2 Likes

So I’m very curious for the next update to 4.4 !

1 Like

Well, after what we’ve experienced in the last two years I wouldn’t be too surprised :grin:

2 Likes

And how do you know that they haven’t already been here for years? I was always a bit suspicious of my mother in law :joy:

5 Likes