VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

I am sure some of you have already seen this, but Jolla better step it up. Ubports has been making huge progress on Anbox (now WayDroid) for Ubuntu Touch, and now they are investigating (and likely will) bring VOLTE to Ubuntu Touch.

Although Jolla will likely just take all their opensource work on VOLTE and implement it.

8 Likes

I posted this in another thread a few minutes ago, but just as an FYI, AT&T Prepaid will no longer let me call with the Xperia 10 Plus I have that is running Sailfish X 4.1.

Inbound calls go straight to voicemail, and outbound calls over 3G all go straight to AT&T customer service. I’m sure if I were to talk to them, they would try to sell me a new VoLTE-ready phone. My account is definitely in good standing, and actually I had money in my balance. They had warned in a previous text that this may happen at some point, but I didn’t think they’d actually do it until next year.

I already have 3CX set up and tested with Telnyx, so I initiated a port out of AT&T for now. Unfortunately it was about a month sooner than I planned, but my hand is forced it seems (so long as I want to use Sailfish X, anyway). I currently have a data-only T-Mobile prepaid SIM in my Xperia 10 II running Sailfish X, so I am going to try making that my primary phone. I’ll use that with the SIP-based setup to see how it goes. I suppose T-Mobile could decide to boot me at some point too, but since it is a data-only SIM, I hope they don’t mind letting it stay on the network past the 3G shutdown.

Data only should be fine.

I wonder if google voice would work in Alien Dalvik (with microg). At least that would be a workaround, but with all of Jolla’s restrictions on AD, I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t work.

this note on Sony’s XA2 page

AT&T announced that it is phasing out its 3G network to make room for newer technologies to improve the user experience. As a result of this change, certain Sony® Xperia® phones will not work on the upgraded AT&T network after February 2022.

We are working closely with AT&T to minimize disruption for our customers. Sony is working on solutions to help keep Sony customers on the AT&T network. This page will be updated with additional details in the near future. Please bookmark this page and check back periodically.

5 Likes

That is interesting that Sony has a dedicated page about that. If you check this PDF, you will see only recent Sony devices will be allowed to stay on the network, where the 1 III is the most recent. I assume the 5 III will be added as well at the very least.

In any case, like I mentioned, I was well aware this change would happen, since AT&T was texting me back in Q1 of this year about it. I thought they would wait a bit longer though, like perhaps Q4 until they started taking action though to redirect all outbound calls to customer service. I suspect they are doing tower work well before February 2022 in places where they know they can get everybody off older phones. I happen to live in a pretty rural area, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I was one of a handful of people still using an old phone, and so they decided now was the time to try to get those older phones off the network.

1 Like

Very nice to see others making progress here too.
But i must say i’m a bit skeptical about the SIP stack choice. Duobango (what a name!) hasn’t had any commits for over two years, and was pretty slow before that. Nothing is that done/stable…

Edit: and it still boggles my mind that this is not handled by the modem.

From my repo-sloughing i have seen that Jolla has already taken similar steps, with P-CSCF (as someone found previously) and opening up the authentication interfaces in ofono that were mentioned in the report. There is also a SIP stack, sofia-sip, on the way. And at least from my 10000 meter view it looks a little bit more nimble and up to date.

2 Likes

If I remember it correctly Sofia-SIP was developed by Nokia back in the day so this would make sense.

4 Likes

I think it would make much a lot of sense for Jolla, to pick up the phone and call the (very open source and collaborative oriented) people from sysmocom and talk to them about there choices and Jollas thoughts and clarify, if it wouldn’t be a good idea to work on the same stack together! (Even if there are differences in the HW interfaces.) Most likely NOW would be one of the last chances to join efforts before everyone sunk a lot of money in a “individual” solution.

5 Likes

Finally. It is long overdue.

3 Likes

It would be ideal if some enterprising person would set up a SIP service for SFOS users at a reasonable price but I guess there are simply too few out there to make it profitable.
Sadly, I don’t have the time to look into this myself but I’m happy to help.

2 Likes

SIP seems to be a business only proposition at this point.

I did get a Pinephone and checked it out. It was the 3gb/manjaro/KDE version. Unusuable out of the box. I flashed the internal eMMC with Phosh/Mobian and it is usable but far from a daily driver.

1. Even with the 3gb, it is quite slow.
  2. Twice in one week the phone “died” during the course of the day and it required removal of the back plate, battery, and pushing the reset switch to bring it back to life.

Maybe someday, but it will take months.

Currently running Lineage Mermaid which works pretty well, waiting to see what Jolla does with VoLTE.

Offtopic, but build pmos. It is much snappier

Has anyone brought this up in the community IRC meetings? Just curious, i usually miss them cause time zone differences, but it would be good to raise the attention there.

4 Likes

It was brought up a few months ago. You can read the reply and discussions in the minutes: Community meeting on IRC 25th Mar 2021 - #5 by attah

The gist of is, they are looking into it but don’t have anything to share.

3 Likes

3G is going down in Finland at end of 2023. Please support VoLTE to prevent Sailfish phones from dropping to more easily eavesdroppable 2G calls. DNA, Elisa, Telia

8 Likes

First of all, thanks for providing sources. I wasn’t aware of such schedule even existing…

1 Like

… since before Jolla started in 2013: By Nokia.
And an almost working sofia-sip is part of SailfishOS for long (since before 2015): SIP (voip) native integration - together.jolla.com
But the last time Jolla did work a tiny bit on this was in 2015 per SailfishOS 2.0.1, while their roadmap once stated VoLTE will be ready in April - May 2015. One may still install and configure it to the point where it mostly works (although without GUI), except for receiving calls (for both, see aforementioned link).

BTW, there once was a “Jolla’s biggest customer”, who direly wanted this feature (VoLTE): Intex, the Indian company which sold the Aquafish phone (basically a rebranded Jolla C with a slightly different modem). Because JIO, India’s low cost mobile network provider started with 4G (“LTE”) and never offered voice services, only VoLTE (which uses the data channel). Many, many Indian SailfishOS users were extremely frustrated in 2014 - 2016 (then they vanished), because they were never able make calls with their Intex Aquafish phone and a JIO SIM card.

8 Likes

Um, my 8 year old calls me with his watch. Sometimes he calls me to get me to serve dinner. Never underestimate the utility of Vocalized commands.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what’s up but on my Xperia 10 II and on the Spanish Movistar network, I seem to get HD voice calls, or at least it sounds way better than when I call numbers that I know don’t have HD voice enabled. This I believe happens on 3G, so it can’t be VoLTE, right? Is there something in the works that might have enabled these higher quality phone calls?

1 Like

I just got a text from H20 wireless that 3G will be shutdown in the US by FCC mandate Feb 2022. Time is ticking on this issue. :frowning: