VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

yes, afaik, emergency calls will not be possible on SFOS after 2g and 3g shutdown

Removable SIM cards do exist. :grinning:
Means you can port the number away to a SIP provider of your choice, throw your current SIM card in the bin and install a new data SIM.
This has saved me probably thousands of $ in roaming charges over the years.
Does not mean it must be the prefect solution for you - I just thought there may be people around in this thread who are serious about SFOS and would like to keep their phones past the VoLTE deadline.

Please don’t see it as criticism or something. I’m not against VoLTE and would even pay Jolla a reasonable amount for this feature if I had to.
You may also have completely different priorities and this is perfectly fine.
I just wanted to make clear that the world is not necessarily about to end after the demise of 2/3G

We are not their core market and I guess no amount of moaning will change that. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Maybe they will first shut down only 3G to get a lot of frequencies free for new 4G + 5G base stations. 2G has a lot of benefits regarding range and reliability.

The idea is all calls go through volte. Phones without won’t be on any network

1 Like

I agree, we aren’t. They will lose their core market though if they don’t get on it.

My whole point, while I was a bit salty, was the implications that “why on earth wouldn’t you use sip,” and “why on earth wouldn’t you have a data only sim in a phone.”

I do believe/hope you were at least a bit tongue in cheek with those. I absolutely concede and agree they are partial solutions.

As far as roaming, I always used FB messenger for calls while in other countries, although both tmobile and Google fi have been very good to me with calls overseas as well.

I would love to stay with Sailfish, just like I wanted to stay with the n900 (even lost money on the neo900 that never existed) but if I can’t use a phone as a phone…

Most likely I would try to daily the painphone errr pinephone which has volte. UT has been making great progress on anbox as well (while likely not polished like AD it’s an alternative…although AD has its own issues).

Still I have a few years before it becomes a huge issue for me.

If you read this: Beeline switches off 3G network on 2,100 MHz band in Moscow - Telecompaper Jolla has all interests in getting VoLTE working as fast as possible. As Russia wanted to switch the whole administration from Android to SFOS, and if the biggest customer cannot phone, SFOS looses its basis of existence. Its also a bad advertising, if you regularly bring out new OS versions for newer phones, that the user will have to install himself, but with this step, he will convert his phone from VoLTE capable to non capable. So i am quite sure we will see VoLTE coming, the question is just when, and how long we will still have to wait. Hopefully not that long that many sailors leave the ship…

8 Likes

You mean this long? :frowning:

1 Like

Your mean in Russia? They will certainly implement VoLTE when Ростелеко́м say they should…

Yes, partial solutions at best. Coming with a whole host of drawbacks and additional costs if you don’t have the infrastructure already in place and not exactly easy to set up. But a possible life line for those who may get kicked out of the network otherwise.

N900 had SIP built in from the start. I even remember using it quite extensively on Symbian before that. Sailfish was a large step back when it comes to SIP when, for whatever reason, they decided not to implement it at all.

1 Like

@Peterleinchen you are right. But at the time you didn’t needed VoLTE. Now the situation is different. And like i say, if their biggest customer wants it, they will get it. Also new members will perhaps just join with VOLTE which has been established as a standard by other mobile OSes and manufacturers…

3 Likes

I’m not sure why you keep harping on sip.

1. Normal calls worked fine on the n900 until it was basically dead.
  2. I specifically mentioned MMS with regards to the n900 as a prime example of the maemo (now most of jolla) team ignored an established protocol to their detriment.
  3. This thread is about volte.
1 Like

Depending on how much of the signalling the modem will actually handle there is a certain chance Jolla will have to also implement SIP, as one of the transport protocols used in VoLTE is exactly that.
But I will shut up about it now, promise :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sony’s provided ril library contains VoLTE stack, And RILD has VoLTE, but Ofono lacks support telling RILD to register to IMS and make calls via IMS. Ofono needs same functionality that has in RILJ (java part of Android Ril stack).

3 Likes

Hmm.

Possible US work around:

T-mobile has the Digits app which allows multiple phone numbers, likely with sip.

I wonder if anyone has tried to call with it. Obviously it requires Alien Dalvik.

With all the restrictions Jolla puts on Alien Dalvik though, for instance blocking mms/sms access for Android apps, which is a pain, I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t work…is worth a try though.

1 Like

Just heard that /e/ plans to support VoLTE. I hope that Jolla will do the same. If it is true that telecom is going to end 2G and 3G ,how can we make calls with a Sailfish device?

sigh…
/e/ is android (its a fork of lineageos). yes its true 2g/3g are ending in many (most) places, some very soon or already happened, and you cannot make calls with a sailfish device if your telecom shuts down both 2g and 3g. (your service will be largely degraded if 3g service is shutdown, even if 2g remains)

3 Likes

Thanks. One little comment: /e/ is a de-googled fork of lineageos
As far as possible, they say.The functionality is very good, at least on a GigasetGS290, but not as beautiful as Sailfish and no local apps.

Regarding /e/ : you’ll get basically the same setup in Aliendalvik if you install the opensource microG instead of the official proprietary Google Play Service.

Absolutely. The business world still relies heavily on voice calls, and incoming calls are invariably voice. As far as using Google Fi, Google Voice, Facebook Messenger, and Whatsapp…you’re not seriously recommending that security minded invididuals who take the time to install adb, unlock the bootloader on a handset, flash that handset, and discusses related issues on here should or would actually want to use any of those services, do you?

5 Likes

I’m afraid you’re barking up the wrong tree. :grin: I’m one of the anti-big-tech Taliban on this forum.

7 Likes

btw, restarting ofono is sufficient to get the android data link working for me when it gets disconnected. ymmv, of course, might be a different, similar bug. anyway, i have a button binding to restart ofono when i click camera button 4x quickly. it takes about 4s from clicking to establishing LTE link in google maps

7 Likes