VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

that is correct. there is no band 12 in xperia 10 iii, but there is no VoLTE on anything else yet.
however, i have great cell reception now (on VoLTE, my 3G has been getting increasingly bad) and okay-ish mobile internet (2-6mpbs)

For now I’m using 5 III without Sailfish. May be they’ll add support for it eventually.

Nothing official yet. My impression is that X10III will be sorted out first, then the other models will get considered.

4 Likes

In metropolitan areas speeds have been reasonable on T-Mobile. Performance and coverage in rural, semi-rural, suburban is slow and can be very spotty. This is because these areas are primarily served by band 12. Indoor performance is also poor, but I would expect in most cases indoor performance can be offset with wifi (except for calls).

I am doubtful VoLTE will be difficult to enable on the 10 II now that the bindings exist in Ofono. Officially I know nothing, but I would expect 10 II to come soon after the 10 III is considered stable and out of beta. That’s my guess.

That’s another reason why wifi-calling would be mandatory…

1 Like

Agreed on wifi calling. I think the US market really would be best served by VoLTE on the 10 II, 1 II, 5 II, 1 III or 5 III. In all honesty it may even be possible to enable on the XA2 down the road for those who can get their carriers to whitelist their IMEI. The 10 III isn’t a bad phone, but it’s not at all suited for the US market.

Enabler for VoLTE on 10 ii accepted yesterday in the repo : https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-config-sony-seine/pull/55

18 Likes

Here in the US, that is the best news I’ve heard in quite some time.

I mean, it’s been informative testing out a bazillion FOSS-ish OSs on the it’s-come-a-long-way-but-still-pretty-rough-yet pinephone since 3g disappeared . . . but it’s not good for domestic tranquility when I can’t reliably get calls from my wife.

2 Likes

call quality has been AWFUL on T-Mobile in the USA, and getting worse, for the last 10 months or so, until i got my Xperia 10 III.
with VoLTE, even without band 12, i’ve had excellent coverage + call quality in my suburban area.

8 Likes

With a custom build, I’m able to get VoLTE registration on TMobile using a 10 II. Calls and SMS don’t seem to be working correctly yet though.

4 Likes

That’s interesting. Which custom build are you referring to? Got a 10ii myself, and I’m eager to test this out:)

2 Likes

So yesterday T-Mobile shut down the final 3g networks operating in the US. The only phones functioning today should be ones with 4g HD Voice or VoLTE funtionality.

Is anyone successfully using a sailfish or lineage device today?

tmobile did not shut down 3G yet, on long island, NY, at least. i just made a call on 3G (shut off VoLTE and hit prefer3G, and tailed ofono logs to make sure).

Not sure then. We are past the announced deadline of July 1st for it to be turned off. Anyone else?

1 Like

This is very good news . Does this mean that the xa2 isn’t far behind?

Likely nonvolte devices with lte will still work, but be data only, given tmobile sells a lot of sims for IoT

2 Likes

Well, I didn’t see any such commit yet in the repo for XA2 : https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-config-sony-nile

1 Like

FYI all, VoLTE calling, SMS, MMS and Data working on T-Mobile USA and US Mobile using a Xperia 10 ii. See details here: VoLTE provider support - #110 by hackman238

7 Likes

10 III works out of the box, but still having MMS issues… 10 II and 10 III both had issues working MMS with T-Mobile from what I’ve seen.