VoLTE provider support

Updated, added molly’s and Gorden’s results

2 Likes

Just tried with VoLTE on my 10 II, and failed to register at all. However, I’m roaming so my situation is a bit nonstandard. That said, as far as I can tell each part should support LTE.

• SIM Operator: Comviq (SE), supports VoLTE (sv)
  • Network: O2 (“o2 - de”) (DE 03)
  • Device: Xperia 10 II
  • Result: failure to register at all (seemingly stuck trying to register forever)

Quick look at journal logs and correlating with the changing of status didn’t reveal anything that stuck out to me (but I’m not entirely sure what I should be looking at). Happy to provide further diagnostics if it’s useful, but I also understand if roaming is a secondary concern for now!

1 Like

Can you try removing your Sim, putting it back in and then reboot (maybe twice)?

I tried VoLTE on my Xperia 10 ii. I am in the USA and I have a service provider called Red Pocket with active AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards. Neither SIM is working for VoLTE at present on the 10 ii with Sailfish. Under “Cellular network” settings, the “4G calling (beta)” option just keeps blinking (Not registered). I contacted Red Pocket customer service and they verified that the phone model and SIM number are correct in their system. Hoping this is just a glitch that gets fixed. I am really looking forward to using the 10 ii with VoLTE support.

3 Likes

For info, in France, I tested 2 sims:

• RED sim under SFR operator: registration does not work
  • FREE : registration does not work

In both cases, I rebooted in case that could help but it did not.
For info, using Android OS, VOLTE with the first sim (RED) does work but not with the second one. Indeed FREE said that VOLTE with SONY phones are not working with their network, apparently because the manufacturer did not adapt the OS for FREE (that could mean actually that it may be easier to have it working with SFOS).

That is using Xperia 10ii

I am keen to give VoLTE a go on my 10ii. Is it the same as the 10iii to enable it?

Yes, same “4G calling (beta)” option under Settings / System/ Cellular network

Like other X10II owners above, Registration fails to complete on Telia EE network. Carrier instructions say just Enable and Reboot, should work. But so far it doesn’t.

Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: imsradio0 < 7 requestRegistrationChange
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: 0000: 76 65 6e 64 6f 72 2e 71 74 69 2e 68 61 72 64 77 vendor.q ti.hardw
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: 0010: 61 72 65 2e 72 61 64 69 6f 2e 69 6d 73 40 31 2e are.radi o.ims@1.
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: 0020: 30 3a 3a 49 49 6d 73 52 61 64 69 6f 00 00 00 00 0::IImsR adio…
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: 0030: 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: imsradio0 > 4 requestRegistrationChangeResponse
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: 0000: 76 65 6e 64 6f 72 2e 71 74 69 2e 68 61 72 64 77 vendor.q ti.hardw
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: 0010: 61 72 65 2e 72 61 64 69 6f 2e 69 6d 73 40 31 2e are.radi o.ims@1.
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: 0020: 30 3a 3a 49 49 6d 73 52 61 64 69 6f 52 65 73 70 0::IImsR adioResp
Jul 14 11:49:10 Xperia10II-DualSIM ofonod[2768]: 0030: 6f 6e 73 65 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 onse… …
Jul

EDIT Carrier tech support said VoLTE wasn’t enabled for my SIM on their end. But even after getting it done, phone still isn’t able to register just yet. Debugging continues.

Those with X10ii devices that aren’t registering, could you see if you have a value set in the system property ‘persist.vendor.somc.cust.modem0’ or 1 if your SIM card is in the second slot. Enter this in the terminal:

getprop persist.vendor.somc.cust.modem0

If there’s a value there beginning with an S followed by some numbers, it might help us fix some more providers with your help.

2 Likes

Both my SIM cards have this value set, in my case it’s:

• S256.2 (SIM1, Saunalahti)
  • S256.1 (SIM2, Elisa)

This on a X10ii (neither SIM registering).NetMon shows both SIMs have VoLTE support.

In that case, this PR might help: Add modem configs for Finnish providers Elisa and DNA by LaakkonenJussi · Pull Request #889 · sonyxperiadev/device-sony-common · GitHub
You can add those directories and files manually in /vendor/oem/modem_config/. To be clear, they’re just text files with one line each and no newline at the end. It’ll have to be a local change for the moment, but hopefully we can solve a couple of other issues and get more providers into the next release (with some others!). Please let us know if it helps.

3 Likes

Thanks for quick reply.

In my case, I already have directories S256.1 and S256.2 (under /vendor/oem/modem_config/) with modem.conf in there, containing mcfg_sw/generic/euro/elisa/vlvw/fin/mcfg_sw.mbn as suggested so nothing to add.

Device: Xperia X10ii
Software version: 4.4.0.68
Network: Videotron (Canada)

Does not register, the 4G calling registration dot keeps flashing in the settings.
SIM is for sure VoLTE compatible, as tested in iPhone. Also tested another SIM, same results: does not register.

getprop result is S478.1

No such folder exists under /vendor/oem/modem_config/

NetMon says under “VoLTE”:

• SMS Capable: X
  • Voice Capable: X

Under "Modem:

• Powered: ✓
  • Online: ✓
  • Emergency: X
  • Lockdown: X
  • VoLTE support: ✓

Device: Xperia X10ii
Software version: 4.4.0.68
Network: Alditalk (Germany it’s using o2)

It registers fine, but drops down to 2G at the start of the call. When the call is finished, it switches back to 4G instantly.
EDIT: Incoming calls stay on 4G. The problem seems to only be with outgoing calls.

getprop result is S77.2

NetMon says under “VoLTE”:

SMS Capable: ✓
Voice Capable: ✓

Under "Modem:

Powered: ✓
Online: ✓
Emergency: X
Lockdown: X
VoLTE support: ✓

I can provide a log if that would be helpful.

1 Like

I wonder if that will just suddenly be able register itself in a day or so, when the operator does something. I think it worked for jussi at some point anyway.

2 Likes

I have switched to Lebara (UK) since another member confirmed that VoLTE works in that network. I was able to use VoLTE (10III) succesfully with 4.4.0.64 and with 4.4.0.68. However what I have noticed is that sometimes during the call the connection will drop to 3G. At that time I ran both the NetMon VoLTE (with 4.4.0.64) which displayed “auto” for registration but crosses for the registered/voice/sms fields.

With 4.4.0.68 I have checked the settings during the call when it dropped to 3G (after approx 20mins of talking in 4G) and the 4G calling (beta) indicator was flashing slowly (as if it is attempting to register).

I wonder if other people have seen this behaviour, i.e. the connection drops to 3G at some arbitary point during a 4G call. Also it doesn’t come back to 4G unless you hang up.

Very interesting. That would mean SRVCC works and is great news.

The signal strength probably warranted it, and it not going back is likely the way it is configured.
There is a general correlation (albeit not strict) between newer technology and higher frequency, and thus an inverse correlation with coverage from the same number of sites.

Not dropping calls is a very important requirement, and is even regulated in many markets. So going back to a technology with less coverage and one that just recently even proved to be insufficient is probably not prioritized or even enabled. This may/will change when 2G/3G are starting to get shut down for real, but so far most places will have a complete overlap in coverage and will get the best performance behaving this way.

3 Likes

PL Play x10ii NetMod:
VoLTE
Not registered
SMS capable : x
Voice capable : x
Modem
Powered : ok
Online : ok
Emergency : x
Lockdown : x
VoLTE support : ok

PL T-mobile x10ii NetMod:
VoLTE
Registered
SMS capable : ok
Voice capable : ok
Modem
Powered : ok
Online : ok
Emergency : x
Lockdown : x
VoLTE support : ok

Ok, trying an Xperia 10 II in US with StraightTalk MVNO using AT&T network, SIM in first slot… I’d been using the SIM in a pinephone on Volte since the 3g shutdown in February, and it’s working (to the degree that the pinephone works, of course).

Enabling 4G calling in Settings gets the blinky light. Tried multiple reboots, then removing and replacing the SIM and several reboots again for good measure, but nothing more than blinking.

And running this . . .

gets me . . .

S263.1

Can you see any path under /vendor/firmware_mnt/image/modem_pr/mcfg/configs that might match your network? I can’t on mine, but I don’t see many providers outside of Europe and Japan on there, so it might be a variant thing?