VoLTE provider support

It is with great pleasure that I can confirm, VoLTE works flawlessly on T-Mobile, in Puerto Rico <3

5 Likes

I appreciate your efforts, @stever8! FWIW I got no service for my 10iii with a Verizon or AT&T SIM.

Google Fi USA VoLTE works :slight_smile:

Voice incoming: ok
Voice outgoing: ok
SMS incoming: ok
SMS outgoing: ok

6 Likes

Sony have this note on their specs for the 10iii with respect to operating frequencies/bands.

"Availability may vary depending on country, carrier, software version and user environment."

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to gather software versions and countries of intended sale etc to see if there’s anything there affecting the ability to get VoLTE working on Sailfish.

One of our local operators also has a requirement for the sim card to be used in a working 5G phone on their network prior to that sim being used in a phone not provided by that operator. This is to get 5G provisioned on the sim. I know we’re talking VoLTE rather than 4G or 5G but wondered if there might be similar requirements around VoLTE for some providers, which might be causing issues.

I am on Lycamobile an MVNO on O2 (UK). Run the commands but registration status was “false”. I didn’t try to use the phone in this state since it’s not even registering, so just switched back to turn it off and updated the wiki.
EDIT: After RTFM, my provider doesn’t offer VoLTE in the first place :slight_smile:
EDIT2: Since the carrier doesn’t offer VoLTE I removed the entry from the Wiki (it’s not a real test of the functionality).

1 Like

Sorry for my absence these past few months. Quick report of my testing from the context of San Antonio, Texas, USA

10iii - XQ-BT52

• T-Mobile (USA)
    ** No coercion, call for whitelisting or IMEI tricks needed to register
    ** VoLTE working for all services
    ** Lacking band 12, service is next to non-existent in semi-rural settings
    ** Lacking band 12, service is extremely spotty in suburban settings
    ** Indoor service in metropolitan areas can be mixed
  • ATT (USA)
    ** Needed to apply coercive action to get device IMEI whitelisted
    ** VoLTE working for all services
    ** Lacking band 12, service is next to non-existent in semi-rural settings
    ** Lacking band 12, service is extremely spotty in suburban settings
    ** Indoor service in metropolitan areas can be mixed
  • Verizon (USA)
    ** Could not get the device registered using coercive action or IMEI tricks

^Coercive action meaning a demand by my lawyer to the carrier’s legal office though official channels.

5 Likes

I won’t disclose what came to my mind when reading about “coercive action” being necessary to get the phone on the network but sending lawyers is the second best thing I guess :grin:

1 Like

It’s still useful information for anyone wasting time trying to make it work, the more we know the better.

2 Likes

Updated the Wiki again, SIM1, Lycamobile MVNO on O2 UK doesn’t offer VoLTE, SIM2, Q-Telecom MVNO on Wind GR didn’t work either. They have a whitelist of devices where VoLTE can be turned on, no Sony devices on the list.

So I just came across Magisk VoLTE enabler where is is telling us that the (android) phone itself may have volte and vowifi disabled.

Don’t have time to try it just now, but might be useful for someone else before I do.
Since it seems to be patching an android text file/property, it surely must be applicable to sfos. (i.e. its not something compiled inside a binary blob)

persist.dbg.ims_volte_enable=1
persist.dbg.volte_avail_ovr=1

And by directly editing a file…

Hi there. I recently purchased a new xperia 10 iii and installed SFOS. Here my small contribution in the development of VoLTE support:

Vodafone (NL):

• call outgoing: ✕, 4G indicator is dropped, call functions as usual though
  • call incoming: ✕, 4G indicator is dropped, call functions as usual though
  • sms outgoing: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing
  • sms incoming: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing

Ben (NL):

• call outgoing: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing
  • call incoming: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing
2 Likes

Thanks, updated the wiki with the info you provided.

My two penn’orth, for statistics)

Xperia only registered a week/two after I turned on VoLTE. I don’t know if it was a Vodafone/Lebara issue. However, as soon as I noticed that the phone was registered, I checked calling/sms. One more thing, the “HD” icon was displayed on the called party’s phone.

Lebara UK:

• call outgoing: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing
  • call incoming: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing
1 Like

Telekom (DE)

call outgoing: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing
call incoming: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing
sms outgoing: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing
sms incoming: ✓, 4G indicator keeps showing

Hi Gordon,
you could update the table by inserting a line, if you please :-).

Updated, added molly’s and Gorden’s results

2 Likes

Just tried with VoLTE on my 10 II, and failed to register at all. However, I’m roaming so my situation is a bit nonstandard. That said, as far as I can tell each part should support LTE.

• SIM Operator: Comviq (SE), supports VoLTE (sv)
  • Network: O2 (“o2 - de”) (DE 03)
  • Device: Xperia 10 II
  • Result: failure to register at all (seemingly stuck trying to register forever)

Quick look at journal logs and correlating with the changing of status didn’t reveal anything that stuck out to me (but I’m not entirely sure what I should be looking at). Happy to provide further diagnostics if it’s useful, but I also understand if roaming is a secondary concern for now!

1 Like

Can you try removing your Sim, putting it back in and then reboot (maybe twice)?

I tried VoLTE on my Xperia 10 ii. I am in the USA and I have a service provider called Red Pocket with active AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards. Neither SIM is working for VoLTE at present on the 10 ii with Sailfish. Under “Cellular network” settings, the “4G calling (beta)” option just keeps blinking (Not registered). I contacted Red Pocket customer service and they verified that the phone model and SIM number are correct in their system. Hoping this is just a glitch that gets fixed. I am really looking forward to using the 10 ii with VoLTE support.

3 Likes

For info, in France, I tested 2 sims:

• RED sim under SFR operator: registration does not work
  • FREE : registration does not work

In both cases, I rebooted in case that could help but it did not.
For info, using Android OS, VOLTE with the first sim (RED) does work but not with the second one. Indeed FREE said that VOLTE with SONY phones are not working with their network, apparently because the manufacturer did not adapt the OS for FREE (that could mean actually that it may be easier to have it working with SFOS).

That is using Xperia 10ii