VoLTE provider support

I tested my Xperia 10 iii on T-mobile in Tampa FL (USA) region and VoLTE works fine for voice and SMS. This is on SFOS 4.4.0.68.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing

On my Xperia 10ii/O2 Germany VoLTE works fine for incoming calls, but for outgoing calls there is still some funny behavior: Sometimes the phone does still switch to 2G, most of the time it does not. Sometimes, there is a calling tone, most of the time there is not. Sometimes, the entire network stack crashes after calling/calling attempt, and, guess what - most of the time it does not:-)
Just my 2 cent

Chris

Can you try to collect logs after this happens?

Yes I will try. I have to find out again how to do this first, though;-)

Look here [wiki] Collecting debug information

same, or at least similar, on 10 III, tmobile usa.
outgoing calls on VoLTE never have audible ringing tone. (everything works correctly, phone says ringing, etc, just cant hear it ring)
calls on 2g ring normally.

i have to restart ofono once a week or so, but i have always had to restart ofono occasionally.

Running 4.4.0.72 on a Sony Xperia 10 ii in the USA. Ordered a US Mobile 4G GSM white sim card and nothing seems to work. Blinking 4G Calling(beta) light.

Have an output of: S264.4 from the scripts in the above responses.

Anyone have any suggestions?

How did you make it work? Seems to load indefinitely for me.

Hi, I just execute these commands as root:

echo mcfg_sw/generic/euro/vodafone/vlvw/cz/mcfg_sw.mbn > /vendor/oem/modem-config/S174.1/modem.conf
echo mcfg_sw/generic/euro/vodafone/vlvw/cz/mcfg_sw.mbn > /vendor/oem/modem-config/S174.2/modem.conf

and restar the phone… After the restart, enable VoLTE in setting and it works. If not, try to look to your Ofono logs.

1 Like

DK Telmore (tdc-net) 10 III 2022-12-8 ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ X

As far as I remember it worked under the previously OS version.

Sadly didn’t work, but thanks anyway!

OK, still trying to get my 10 II to work reliably on T-Mobile in the USA where 4G is(mostly) required. I’ve made a little more progress understanding when it fails and kinda why.

Some background since I last was flailing around in July and August:

In addition to the Xperia, I’ve got a Pinephone running PMOS/Phosh (Edge). This device has Volte support in the modem hardware/firmware. I can pop the T-Mo SIM in the Pinephone and boot it up and it will connect to the network over 4G in a minute or two. It always gets registered, although there are a lot of dead zones for the device and it frequently loses LTE connectivity. Upgrades to the system software and the modem firmware have improved this, but not solved it completely. I wrote a short script to poll the modem manager software and notify me by playing an audio warning when this happens, so now I’ve got a pretty good idea of where the poor reception areas are and when I’m offline. This has helped in further diagnosing the SFOS/Xperia issues . . .

OK, back to the Xperia. Just putting the SIM in the Xperia 10 II doesn’t work. It won’t register with T-Mobile. What I can do is put the SIM in the Pinephone, wait for it to register, then pull out the SIM and pop it immediately into the running – and preferably recently rebooted – Xperia. Now the 10 II will register on the T-Mo network and can be used. This is good until I take the phone somewhere that the Pinephone would lose its LTE connection. The Xperia drops off the network too, but unlike the Pinephone, it doesn’t reconnect when service is restored. Rather, network status becomes: “Denied”.

The reboot, put the SIM in Pinephone, wait for service, then swap SIM back to Xperia procedure usually works to get service back on the Xperia, but this isn’t really practical when out and about to carry 2 phones just so I can swap the SIMs twice to restore service. Also, I don’t know when the service drops on the Xperia, so I can be incommunicado unawares for quite a while.

I post this to see if anyone’s got other ideas, and for anyone in this situation to see if their issues are similar. I’d also like to know if anyone knows a method to check the modem status in SFOS from the command line which I could check occasionally to notify me when the modem gets denied. I’d also also like to know if anybody’s got any suggestions on how to get the Xperia to get un-denied without the SIM switcheroo trick.

3 Likes

I did find a way to get MMS messages on T-mobile in the US. I am on Xperia 10iii SFOS 4.4.0.68. If I have Wifi connected at the same time as VoLTE, and set the MMS access point settings to Protocol: IP (IPV4 only), I can send and receive MMS images. It is at least useful some of the time!

Okay, so having tested some things today:
I think that the denies are to do with T-Mobile’s frequencies. The 10ii supports all but two of them from what I could tell.

At home I was able to get my phone to connect to t-mobile, data worked fine, calls worked fine, texts worked fine, but when I left my house today at some point I lost connection. What I think is happening is:
Phone works fine somewhere with supported frequencies.
I move to somewhere where the only signal is over frequencies the phone doesn’t support. Instead of just me having no signal in those places, it sets a “phone not supported” flag internally at T-Mobile locking you out of the network even when you do get somewhere with signal.

2 Likes

That makes no sense. How could they possibly detect that?

Well cellular telecommuncations aren’t exactly my specialty, but there has to be some sort of negotiation with the tower when connecting, right? If I had to guess it’s just “If phone doesn’t successfully negotiate to join the tower → mark this phone as incompatible with the network”

It just so happens to be mine…
A frequency band is either supported or not. If no supported bands are available, you can’t communicate at all.

Theoretically it can decide to not like what the phone is capable of; but only after having been able to actually communicate. (But since it could communicate, and it is a fairly normal/capable phone… why would it?)

1 Like

Well I’ve certainly got no good guesses for the behavior that I and other people have seen, none that explains that other people with identical hardware running the same firmware with the same configuration seem to have no problems. iirc nothing too productive came up in ofono logs before when they’ve been posted either. @robthebold 's post indicated it might have something to do with dropping the network, which is definitely a common thing here, but that wouldn’t explain why I’m able to take the sim out and put it back in, reboot the phone, etc when I have good signal.

@flypig I’m not sure of the percentages, but would it be worth adding a caveat on the T-Mobile entry for the 10ii that these problems have occurred and that T-Mobile’s official position (at least from what their engineers told me,) is that a 10ii as a device isn’t accepted/supported for BYOD on the network?

Thanks for performing the testing and digging in to this. I think it’s good to make clear anything that helps other users understand capabilities or potential difficulties. Could you propose a short and pithy way to describe the phenomenon? If it’s hard to encapsulate in a sentence, then perhaps it would be better to add a link to your post instead?

1 Like