USB port will now only charge on Xperia 10iii

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4.0.64
HARDWARE: Xperia 10iii
UI LANGUAGE: English UK
REGRESSION: Yes

DESCRIPTION:

USB will only charge. Won’t enter Developer or MTP mode and shows as Currently not Connected,

PRECONDITIONS:

Attach Windows 10 or Linux Mint 20.3 laptop to phone via USB 3 port Phone indicates Charging but not connected for Developer / Media Transfer etc,

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Attach PC / Laptop connected UBS cable
  2. Phone indicates charging only
  3. Laptop and phone fail to recognise phone as being connected. Previously successfully connected to phone with these laptops.

EXPECTED RESULT:

Phone enters selected USB mode. Laptop shows Xperia 10iii device as being connected and allows file transfer etc.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Phone shows as Charging only

MODIFICATIONS:

None

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Successfully flashed 4.4.0.64 to my Xperia 10iii phone purchased new in 11/2021 and having previously run Android 11 and apps successfully for some months then flashed Sailfish when released on 18/5/2022.

Following initial flashing blue light remained on so completed setup by using Linux terminal and “fastboot continue” command.

Have subsequently downloaded sailfish and Andrpod Apps to phone and used phone successfully for App related and network functions but now when I connect to either of my Laptops (Win 10 and Linux Mint) it is not recognised. Have tried two different USB cables and different ports and have removed phone case to ensure physical connection is sound. Cables and Laptops work successfully with my Xperia 10ii.

Concerned that this could be a physical defect to USB Port that has arisen as suggested in USB Functions Broken but before I attempt to get a repair (if warranty is valid after flashing), need to see if there are any tests I can do re software to check USB functionality please.

Re-flashing doesn’t seem to be an option given USB won’t connect.

Any suggestions appreciated thanks.

1 Like

Same problem on mine.
After any boot, as root (devel-su), run:

systemctl restart usb-moded.service

for reasons unknown, it doesn’t start correctly after boot.

You can observe the difference using

journalctl --follow

if usb-moded isn’t properly working, you’ll get:

Aug 08 21:21:49 Xperia10III usb_moded[3199]: no backend is selected, can't set dynamic mode
Aug 08 21:21:49 Xperia10III usb_moded[3199]: Neither configured rndis0 nor fallback usb0 interface exists. Check your config!
Aug 08 21:21:49 Xperia10III usb_moded[3199]: no backend is selected, can't unset dynamic mode
Aug 08 21:21:49 Xperia10III usb_moded[3199]: mode setting failed, try charging_only
Aug 08 21:21:49 Xperia10III usb_moded[3199]: switch to charging mode failed
Aug 08 21:21:49 Xperia10III usb_moded[3199]: failed to activate charging, all bets are off
Aug 08 21:21:49 Xperia10III usb_moded[3199]: mode setting failed, fallback to undefined
2 Likes

I have a different behaviour. usb-moded reports “unknown connection type reported, assuming disconnected”.