I wanted to buy a Jolla smartphone. I saw that a new version is coming out in October:
1- Is it an easily repairable smartphone?
2- Is the manufacturer’s support and after-sales service good?
3- Does it allow you to share your internet connection with other devices? (I travel a lot, and this is essential.)
4- Does it allow you to use banking apps or authenticators like Microsoft’s without any problems? (I use my phone for work to pay and protect many of my accounts.)
5- Does it support Android Auto?
6- Does it have a charging limiter and bypass charging?
Easier than most but not specifically designed for that I think (has replaceable battery, camera module, etc.)
Currently it takes quite a long time to get a hold of them because it’s a tiny company overwhelmed with requests.
Yes
Generally it allows running banking apps, but it depends on your specific bank if they block non-Google alternatives. NFC payments don’t work (yet). I’ve heard of people using Microsoft authenticator apps but it probably again depends on specific app and version.
There are native authenticator apps if you mean 2FA. So no need to use something from android.
Just a warning though. Its not a phone for the average joe yet and you are better with android and ios if you want everything to work -especially in far away lands or whatever.
To add to point 2, my experiences with Jolla’s customer service in the past have been very good, even after warranty had already run out. Not to mention you can actually talk to them on this forum, they actually read and follow and reply to the posts here, and if they’re in your area for some reason, you can just go talk to them. But of course, right now is a bit different because they have thousands of Jolla Phone-related emails to catch up on, on top of assembling and sending out every single phone themselves. So it’s a good thing you posted on this forum instead!
There is already a teardown guide at iFixit of the new Jolla Phone. It looks very straight forward, nothing glued, backplate is cliped but easily removable. Battery is screwed in place.
There are or likely will be the following replacement parts in the store: back plate, battery and camera cover. I would hope that the daughter board with the USB-C connecter will be there too but that is not certain. The rest will be for the time being a matter of customer service.
Ie, this is not the level of a Fairphone but I’d consider repairability good overall.
ad 4) There is a native Yubikey app available taht works very well. I did not find support for Token2 yet (these are currently my favourite security keys).
If you want to protect anything important, it would be wise to move away from Microsoft solutions for this.
Unless you want to be in a position where they can lock you out of everything as they (or anyone who can make them do stuff) please.
MS Authenticator works partly. I just tried on Xperia 10 III, but with log-in into the MS account I just got the OTP für the microsoft account. Loading a cloud backup from another device wasn’t possible. Notifications don’t work (but that my be related to the lower Android version than on new Jolla Phone).
Nevertheless as others said above: Avoid Big Data and use a native OTP generator.
Just a headsup on 4- If your work requires MS Intune you won’t get it to work. Atleast I haven’t got it to work. That means I can’t use MS Authenticator for my work account and my work Teams-account doesn’t work either.
Yes, fully messaging, audio and video calls (Edit. well haven’t tested the audio and video call with Jolla phone, but those worked with my previous phone)
no, carlinkit is for converting wired android auto cars to wireless. android auto is a walled garden, and there will probably never be android auto for sailfish, especially with seafarix.
for calls and music, simple bluetooth works great for every carkit i’ve tried, from 2009 to 2026 models. caller ID works, steering wheel media buttons work over avrcp, etc, but of course voice commands like google assistant do not.
for me, i just use a phone holder that i bolted onto the radio cover with machine screws, and audio over bluetooth. brodit/proclip makes a universal USB-C charging holder that i like.
WOW. Hadn’t notice that. If they manage to pull this off it will be great. And appart from the UI its the same OS. I don’t see a reason not to be able to use this with SFOS.
5. So far I have not been able to transfer contacts from Jolla2 to uConnect that Stellantis uses. I can answer and make calls, but it is blind by typing numbers in manually.
I might be wrong, but there are devices that you connect to the car’s screen and already have Android Auto integrated; you would just need to share your smartphone’s internet connection.
yea, you could also use literally any android phone or tablet.
but that wont put your apps on JP2 on the screen, or put calls/notifications on the screen+speakers.
if this device is clever, it might also handle calls over bluetooth to it, and internal gps + internet over wifi for navigation/etc.
or maybe you can hook the phone to the car over bluetooth, AND the carlinkit over the wired android auto.
(btw, that specific device requires that your car has a wired apple carplay)