The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread

What country are you in? In Germany, there are a number of ebay sellers with Android 11 rephones. Most are customer returns. ebay.de/str/nesatec for instance. I’ve found around 20 pieces so far.

You all have kind answers. But think of your mum or your aunt. My problem is that I’m not able to port. I use Sailfish for about 10 years because I like it. As a non-tech I face sometimes problems that are easy for most of the community members but not for me.
Hopefully Sailfish will come with a licensed official port to the GS5/Volla 22 or the Rephone.
much better: if Jollyboys contacted Gigaset for a special Sailfish phone.
I am Dutch.

Well, I am about to sell my working Rephone. I would like to have 200€. Please PN if interested. Shipping in Germany only.

My mom rarely turns her cellphone on :slight_smile: My aunt can be reached on Fridays. Seriously, you can still find new (often returns) xperia 10iii on the market (I just found 3 for 200 euros on ebay) so you could get a device with support.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no, I don’t fancy a Sony anymore. I was one of the unlucky ones with a 10 III that had an echo while calling after Sailfish was installed. I want to sell it, together with a Suncase. It works well, it is in mint condition, apart from that echo.
Since Sony produces devices with a narrow ratio, I will not buy another Sony.
The ratio of Gigaset phones is better.
So my question stands: if I buy a Volla phone now, will it be possible to get Sailfish on it through multi boot lateron or do I have to buy a new Vollaphone when Sailfish is ready for it?

I live in the capital of NL and I am looking for a GS5 with Sailfish that functions well.
I already have a few not functioning devices in the drawer.

I don’t know if SFOS is useable in multiboot but I seem having read that somewhere here. IIRC @Kea, VPN and perhaps GPS under Android were counting in your choice, or?
Make sure that this will be possible on the phone you will get.
(OT) About the XA2, mine (back to daily use) is not slow as you describe and still pleases me very well. Did you try to reflash yours?

1 Like

I did try multiboot with a GX4 (volla x23) but did not manage to get it installed properly.

I’ve been switching between rephone/GS5 for most of this year and the GS5 is stable. Since it’s a volunteer port, and @piggz uses it himself (with a GX4 pro), you need to understand that it’s as complete as the developer is willing/able to make it. It’s usable as a pure SFOS device. It has some issues (minor), all of which are documented here. I think I’ll add them to a wiki page when I have a minute.

Your safest bet in terms of recent hardware / software and proximity to what the developer uses is to spend a bit more and buy a GX4 pro / Volla X23.

1 Like

@Kea You can buy a new Volla or Rephone or Fairphone and flash it easily. See here:

Also a lot of other devices are compatible, there is a long list.

On the mentioned Internet page you can download UBports Installer software and install on your computer.
In UB Installer you can alternatively choose to flash SFOS, but not for all listed devices. So please be careful and check before buying a new phone. Example: for Fairphone 4 only Ubuntu Touch and postmarket OS is available. You can check without having the phone, only start the UBports Installer software, choose a phone and when you come to the ‘Install’ page, there is a choice for what OS to install. See if SFOS is available there for this phone.

Very important is to check that you have the right Android Version, which the Installer is asking for. Look in the description.

I have a VERY annoying problem since I use the rephone. Everytime I reboot my phone my settings to show my phone number when I call someone is reset to “Nach Netzwerk festlegen”. If I switch to flight mode and turn on nework again, this doesn’t happen. Can anybody confirm this. Is there a way to force this setting. Or is there a cli command to set it it the way I want. Than I could make a small start script.

I have been using a Rephone (thanks to @Pingutux ) with SOFS, directly installed to the phone (not via SD card).

Compared to the VP22, which is still unlocked and SFOS runs only on the SD card, the Rephone works much better. Everything is smoother, faster and I have no real problems with the memory. On the VP22, SFOS is however at 4.4 while on the Rephone I have the latest 4.5.

On both phones, I have problem listing to music with any music app if the app was running when I had a call. The respect app has to be restarted.
What really does not work is taking videos on the rephone, this is really a pitty. It has been mentioned already, but is there really no way to make it work? How das Volla OS / Ubuntu Toch works with taking videos? Does anyone know?

I have sometimes the problem, that the FP sensor stops working. Only reboot helps.

Waydroid works nicely. I can use DKB and Ing DiBa banking apps (haven’t tested a transfer yet). However, after starting waydroid, SFOS is not able to get a GPS fix as the sensors might be blocked. This is known and should be fixed for waydroid on ubuntu touch

For a ported device, this works brilliant (waydroid does what I need) apart from taking videos.

A happy new year to all :slight_smile:

Rephone with UT works with video.

Your picture of UT shows OTA 21 - that is an old xenial 16.04 build. New UT like Rephone, Volla 22 run on Focal 20.04. Aktuell on OTA 3.

So this might either be an unrelated bug or a regression with waydroid.
However, it seems it might be a bit unclear with a more recent version:

And of course, I don’t know how well SFOS and UT compare with respect to waydroid or how I could dig deeper into the issue.

Waydroid is very experimental on both. If someone realy needs android, waydroid is not yet the way to go. In this case the official sfos on xperias with android support is the right way.

Yeah, I think experiments need protocoled results, even computer experiments. Hence, I was writing this. And even more, if there is a chance to fix it. Although I have not figured anything out. But using waydroid similar to official android way with several open windows is with some tricks although possible and I suppose even having the Icons in the app grid.

Since Rephone and UT work with video, could there be chance to make video recording work on SFOS?

And furthermore, sometimes the fingerprint reader doesn’t work anymore. This:

does not help, as the service is called
sailfish-fpd-community
but restarting this doesn’t help either. So the only way to make fingerprint work again is restarting ( similiar to the GPS problem after waydroid, but without a real reason).

I’ve observed this but very rarely (less than one time every couple of weeks). Do you have it more often? On a Volla/GS5 or rephone?

I had it once in half a year using the Volla Phone and several times within 1 month for the rephone. Right now, for example. So I could try something :slight_smile:

I don’t have an idea yet, but I’ll ask @piggz I think it’s not such a big deal since other issues exist.