The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread

I’m drying.
Searched for “You must have at least one SIM slot enabled” (pops up when one tries to disable both SIM slots). But as error messages, they are stored elsewhere than in the searched files.

Maybe something interesting here?:

/usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Settings/Networking/SimDependentSettingsToggle.qml
/usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Telephony/SimErrorState.qml

Unfortunately I don’t.

I’m guessing such things are managed through some Android daemon/utility, qcrild or so?

radio     3767  3133  0 Jul02 ?        00:01:30 /odm/bin/hw/qcrild
radio     3770  3133  0 Jul02 ?        00:06:03 /odm/bin/hw/qcrild -c 2

I’d try killing that second one on a hunch, but it probably will restart through doid-hal-init.
(and these are from a Sony, not Volla)

Maybe that’s a question for the porters IRC or XDA?

1 Like

Well you can probably hack the first one to disable all the checks.

I wonder why switching both sims off is guarded against though…

1 Like

There is also the ofono-tests package which has all kinds of tools, including a ‘disable-modem’ one…

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the tip. Might help us gather some info for @piggz

Vibration solved: It was set too short. Discussion and details here.
…hmmm… Setting the vibrator to vibrate longer makes a real difference. It just works. But after a while, it stops working at all and doesn’t even respond in CSD tool anymore. Hardware problem. the trick was necessary for my GS5 and works.

Really cool to have ths port!
By the way @piggz, I know you mentioned Paypl and IBAN but from Switzerland, both charge fees to money transfer. Is there another way, a free one tha I could use to buy you some beers and coffees?

heh, not sure, what else is there? any suggestions ? :slight_smile:

Hmm, dunno. People talk about cryptocurrencies… No experience with that but I could make an effort. Always curious.
On the other hand, I heard that mining was not so climate friendly, so…
Someone? About how to transfer some money for free?

I just had to do this today, but with a single sim GS5. After reboot, without PIN/SIM, I ONLY

1. went to the settings for PIN code,
  2. noted it was off,
  3. turned it on,
  4. entered pin, nothing happened
  5. with it still open at the PIN prompt rebooted.

On reboot, it was there. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the settings for PIN code not being read or being reset. Just to confirm, rebooted my Rephone just now. Came up without PIN/SIM. On the frist repeat of the above, it was not set on reboot. The second time, I closed the Preference app before reboot and got my PIN prompt. @piggz can you think of a reason why the PIN code requirement setting might be turned off on reboot?

Are you guys able to use a VPN on the Volla22/GS5?

Ok, it could of course be a completely different phenomena with 2 sims. I just, for the heck of it, went to the settings,

1. UNchecked PIN code, authorized with PIN
  2. REchecked PINcode, authroized with PIN
  3. Close Preferences
  4. Rebooted
    Phone came up with with both authorization screens and the SIM worked immediately. That was the GS5. Maybe, with SIM working normally, try that?

:joy: :smiling_face_with_tear: :grimacing: :weary:
I tried. No way for me.
Even the trick that worked 3 times the other day isn’t working.
Deleted my post and ordered a talkie-walkie and some envelopes :crazy_face:

Some time later…
It worked after multiple reboots and PIN fiddling. Puzzling!

VPN dont work!!! :sleepy: on Gigaset

1 Like

Ok ,thank you.
And wifi hotspot to share mobile data, is it also not working?

hello sir,
hotspot mobile data its ok :+1:

1 Like

Did you remember to buy some stamps? I always forget those.

I’ve repeated the procedure just to test and it works consistently on two devices. I think it’s probably different with two pins? did you get prompted for two PIN codes or just one?

What VPN provider? Settings?

Yes, exchanged my GS5 for 15kg stamps😁

Generally, both SIMS are working, hence two PINs asked, or none.
Perhaps yes, procedure is different for double SIM models…

As Vpn, I tried ProtonVPN with router configuration and some per-server configuration files. At least some of them were working on my XA2.
Here, when I chose the file, press accept and click on the VPN line to connect, complain toggles between ‘idle’ and ‘Problem with connection’

Mullvad VPN with Openvpn file…