The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread

This results in a fresh install because the LUKS partition wasn’t able to decrypt.

Look at sailfish germany
post 369-373…

Thanks. I do need some more info on this because i never touched an android phone before. What i’m used to (with my FP2) is to boot and keep volume up (or was it down?) pressed during boot. Does it work like that on the GS5 too?

The boot procedure to get into fastboot is similar (power + volume up). BUT, you need to make sure that the phone is unlocked first. That you have to do in Android. and that’s an exercise left to the reader.

What is sailfish germany?

@Seven.of.nine I think the user mean the german thread.

1 Like

Ok, that sounds good.

Just one question to be sure: From what i’ve heard with android you’ll have to create an account at google before you can actually use it. Is this setting reachable without creating an account? It would really be a deal-breaker if i’d have to create one.

I can’t speak about every phone, only about those which I owned, but: there was always a possibility to skip the step where it wants to link your phone to a google account. It keeps nagging you during the setup-process but you can skip it.

But I have never owned nor touched a GS5, so I can’t tell for sure, only 99.99%.

Updated Volla 22 4.4.0.72 to 4.5.0.18 and everything seems to be working fine. Please note: still in many cases the phone requires several reboots before the sim card is recognized, Bluetooth BLE devices are not recognized (e.g. smart watches) and there is no battery aging protection setting.

Yes @pa4wdh as @pansen-jim says, you can usually skip that step. and I did with the GS5 (I bought the ‘light model’ with 64GB space/4GB ram. 219 Euro.).

Yep, that seems correct … quite confused about the SIM and BLE issue!

Thanks again @poetaster and @pansen-jim for the information.

Last week i found a shop where i could but the GS5, but a few days ago the status on their website changed and says it’s not available anymore :frowning:. They do have the Lite version and as far as i can see the only difference is the built-in storage so i’ll see if i can get my hands on a GS5 Lite.

Oh guys, this becomes temptating…
Does the GS5 have a good GPS?
And are the pictures nice?

The GS5 GPS get’s a fix in about a minute. The GS290 and GS5 both had better GPS (judged by driving through France last summer) than the xperia 10II. I found, subjectively, the 290 had a better sensor, but haven’t actually tested this. The picture quality of the GS5 is certainly sufficient for my needs. the 6000x8000 pixel pics are really sharp and color reproduction accurate. The GS5 has audio output that’s ‘hot’ so it tends to distort if the volume is full up and you play rock’n’roll on the speakers but that’s better than being too quiet :slight_smile:

EDIT: Currently, I would NOT upgrade the GS5 to 4.5.0.18 (well, I did, sigh) since the browser is less stable than it was with 4.4.0.72.

The sim thing seems to be that the setting for PIN is lost. On reboot or cold start, you have to go to Settings and enable PIN, get the SIM prompt, enter the pin and reboot. Then it’s set. I ‘believe’ the PIN setting goes away when you power down.

Thanks!

Do you mean camera sensor?
Is it good in low light?

I have to compare the specs and sizes of both GS but it looks that with a good GPS and a nice camera, one of them could be a cool replacement of the XA2. (which is almost perfect, out of the medium GPS and not-very-sensible camera).

edit: and about the Volla, no big differences out of the brand, price and pre-installed multi-boot, is that correct?

I think the GPS sensor on the 290 was a bit better. But both are fast in comparison with the sony.

Volla is no different but for the branding. I’ve purchased (and re-sold) from Volla just to support them, I keep the Gigaset phones :slight_smile:

It’s ‘ok+’ I’m not sure how best to test it. I have a couple of low light shots on it now and they’re ok. You mean, ones without flash, or?

Yeah, without flash.
My point of comparison is the XA2, which camera is worse than the N900 in low light!

If you like, you can redo that and sell it to me, in order to double support :rofl: :innocent:

Ah, got ya. It’s much better :wink:

And I don’t have any volla phones now … future.

1 Like