The screen goes black and that's it

What should I mount if I don’t have /dev/sailfish/home ?

I don’t think you need to mount home at all for this, since @ajwatt never does anything in /home.

Another “overlay apps broken” victim. Just uninstalled Phonehook through SSH and ‘pkcon’; that did the trick. It’s a shame Battery Overlay doesn’t work, it’s one of my favorite apps. I’m gonna miss it 'til the next upgrade :sob:

This community is great and alive! Thanks! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What about coderus’ patch ‘Extended volume control’?
Will this also trigger this problem?

At least not with my XA2.

1 Like

I just released phonehook version 0.10.0 , which includes fixes to work with SFOS3.4

7 Likes

Thanks a lot for update! :relieved: I’ll check it out later.

Edit: Works fine with my XA2 3.4.0.24

Hi guys, sorry if i sound retarded…but im not exactly skilled with new technologies. so i will briefly explain what my problem is:
My phone is a sony Xperia 10, monosim, i bought it a month ago from jolla devices store, it had preinstalled sailfish version 3.something. i bought a license online, so i obtained sailfish X.
About a week ago my phone was offering to update for sailfish 3.4.0…i launched the process, the phone restarted, i could see it loading (completing loading bar) very slowly untill it stopped completely. i did restart the phone…and this is were the problems start. the screen blanks…goes black…right after i type the pincode. I did not install phonebook on this phone (as i now it can be a reason for his problem), so i don’t know what i should do to be able to use my phone again. does someone have maybe a “step by step” guide to fix this problem? thank you very much in advance for any help you could provide!

Phonehook isn’t the only program known to cause the issues, do you have AlienDalvik-Control or any other apps that uses overlays installed?

You need to get to the Recovery Mode shell, uninstall these programs and probably have to unlock your home-partition, mount it, chroot into the /rootfs and try to fix the uncompleted update by installing the remaining packages.

Here is my struggle to fix Xperia 10 from failed upgrade back into working, maybe some of the step there helps you get started.

1 Like

the Problem happens when the overlay is of type Item, changing it to ApplicationWindow does the magic

2 Likes

Thanks guy. It was definately Phonehook. Had to uninstall it during the 3 seconds windows that i was given :grimacing:

I experience the same problem. As I do not use Phonehook or Aliendalvik Control, maybe the problem is caused by another app that uses overlays, as explained by @avhakola.

As I’m using Screentapshot2, I tried to remove it, even if it’s not always active. I can SSH the device over USB but I have the following error:

[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ pkcon remove harbour-screentapshot2
Failed to contact PackageKit: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PackageKit: Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)

Any idea on what to do?

devel-su rpm -e harbour-screentapshot2
or maybe
devel-su rpm -e --noscripts harbour-screentapshot2

1 Like

Thanks, unfortunately, I have other errors:

[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ rpm -e screentapshot2
error: package screentapshot2 is not installed
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ rpm -e harbour-screentapshot2
error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock (No such file or directory)
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ rpm -e --no-scripts screentapshot2
rpm: --no-scripts: unknown option

Edited above post regarding

• missing ‘harbour-’
  • hyphen in parameter --noscripts (will never learn where to use hyphen and where not :wink: )
  • wrote that ofc devel-su is needed
1 Like

Thanks, Peter.
I’m now root but when sending the command, it requests another password and the only one I know is not valid:

| Sailfish OS 3.4.0.24 (Pallas-Yllästunturi)
'---
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ devel-su
Password: 
[root@Sailfish nemo]# devel-su rpm -e harbour-screentapshot2
Password: 
Auth failed
[root@Sailfish nemo]# devel-su rpm -e harbour-screentapshot2
Password: 
Auth failed
[root@Sailfish nemo]# devel-su rpm -e --noscripts harbour-screentapshot2
Password: 
Auth failed
[root@Sailfish nemo]#

@Jordi
either authenticate once as root (can be noted by the user name in front of the #) and then do not try to devel-su again
or use this commands as user nemo and devel-su for each command on its own

Maybe backing up what you need and reflash is easier way to go?

1 Like

Thanks, that did the trick! (stupid me, Noob here).
But removing this package did not repair the device. I also removed other packages but no luck.

Do we know which app use overlays?

After bricking/reflashing 3 sfos devices i realized that harbour-tint-overlay also causes the issue when i dared to update the 4th one in my household (successfully).
Deinstalled phonehook, battery-overlay and Aliendavik-control in all the failed update attempts but did not realize harbour-tint-overlay was still installed.
Maybe it helps someone else.

1 Like

Latest Phonehook (0.10.1-1) works with 3.4.