The screen goes black and that's it

Thanks, Have done that.

Got an error about Alien-dalvik

Failed to stop aliendalvik-sd-mount.service: Unit aliendalvik-sd-mount.service not loaded.
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.ZMAjXS: line 32: syntax error near unexpected token fi' /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.ZMAjXS: line 32: fi’
error: %preun(aliendalvik-control-9.3.0-1.armv7hl) scriptlet failed, exit status 2
error: aliendalvik-control-9.3.0-1.armv7hl: erase failed

And finished with

UPGRADE NOT COMPLETE - Retry 1 of 9
Waiting 1 seconds before retry.
REFRESHING CACHE AND DOWNLOADING PACKAGES
Refreshing: 6%^C

@ninepine

Try to stop Android Support under Settings and then rerun “version --dup” as root. Should work now.

No issues now. “NO UPDATES FOUND” so looks like all good.

Many thanks again.

Mike

If you manage to begin uninstall before the screen turns black (which is possible), and the screens turns black after you clicked the cross, then you get back the screen after it uninstalls (it continues uninstalling while the screen is black).

Had same problem with Phonehook!
Your solution really helped, 10s for unlock, the phone, and uninstall Phonehook, to get out of the black screen problem. As soon, as Phonehook get uninstalled, the Screen goes back to operational state, and it was the only problem with the Upgrade!

On the OP:

There seems to some issue with patches which causes the screen to blank after activation.

Specifically, Jolla has apparently broken all “overlay apps” in this release.

On a freshly flashed system:

I installed Patch Manager but no patches.
Installed “Battery Overlay”

On activation of Battery Overlay, the screen blanked.
On reboot, Patch Manager autostarted Battery Overlay and blanked screen

3 Likes

Can confirm that, same issue here with phonehook and battery overlay.

I can confirm. Same problem, same solution. Quick uninstall of Phonehook did the trick, and the uninstallation continued even if the screen did go black (before getting back to normal when the uninstallation was complete).

I am having trouble uninstalling phonehook. I have managed to connect to the device in recovery mode via telnet. /dev/sailfish/home does not exist so I mounted /dev/mmcblk0p28 and chroot into it.
However, when I try running pkcon remove phonehook I get:
“Failed to contact PackageKit: Could not connect: connection refused”
Also, devel-su requires password which I don’t know(developer mode is disabled on device).

Any suggestions on how to repair the device?

You can disable phonehook by simply renaming the two directories associated with the program:

cd /usr/share/
mv phonehook phonehook.old
mv phonehook-daemon phonehook-daemon.old

After that, type ‘exit’ twice and then ‘2’ to reboot. You should be fine from there.

I have the blank screen of doom also (Xperia 10)
It is too quick to manually uninstall Phone hook or get into terminal
Just enough time to press media transfer and load up onto PC
Tried deleting phone hook file - didn’t work
What is the best method from here?

@djhowls you need to do a combination of what @Louis posted earlier and I posted yesterday. Let me put it all together for you.

First boot your phone in recovery mode. You’ll need your Sailfish installation files for this. Follow the instructions here, up to the point where you telnet to 10.42.66.66:
Xperia X devices How to use the Recovery Mode

Then follow these steps to rename the phonehook directories to prevent it from loading:

telnet 10.42.66.66  
 (option 3 for shell)  
mount /dev/sailfish/home /rootfs/home
chroot /rootfs
cd /usr/share/
mv phonehook phonehook.old
mv phonehook-daemon phonehook-daemon.old
exit
exit
 (option 2 to reboot)

Your phone should boot normally from there. If you also have OKBoard installed, you’ll also have to either remove it or disable it in settings.

2 Likes

What should I mount if I don’t have /dev/sailfish/home ?

I don’t think you need to mount home at all for this, since @ajwatt never does anything in /home.

Another “overlay apps broken” victim. Just uninstalled Phonehook through SSH and ‘pkcon’; that did the trick. It’s a shame Battery Overlay doesn’t work, it’s one of my favorite apps. I’m gonna miss it 'til the next upgrade :sob:

This community is great and alive! Thanks! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What about coderus’ patch ‘Extended volume control’?
Will this also trigger this problem?

At least not with my XA2.

1 Like

I just released phonehook version 0.10.0 , which includes fixes to work with SFOS3.4

7 Likes

Thanks a lot for update! :relieved: I’ll check it out later.

Edit: Works fine with my XA2 3.4.0.24

Hi guys, sorry if i sound retarded…but im not exactly skilled with new technologies. so i will briefly explain what my problem is:
My phone is a sony Xperia 10, monosim, i bought it a month ago from jolla devices store, it had preinstalled sailfish version 3.something. i bought a license online, so i obtained sailfish X.
About a week ago my phone was offering to update for sailfish 3.4.0…i launched the process, the phone restarted, i could see it loading (completing loading bar) very slowly untill it stopped completely. i did restart the phone…and this is were the problems start. the screen blanks…goes black…right after i type the pincode. I did not install phonebook on this phone (as i now it can be a reason for his problem), so i don’t know what i should do to be able to use my phone again. does someone have maybe a “step by step” guide to fix this problem? thank you very much in advance for any help you could provide!