Telegram trouble

Ah, yes, thanks for reminding. I just not understand well why I need virtual sandbox to run Linux packages at Lunux OS.

Flatpak is a package format like rpm or deb or whatever that runs nativ on linux. So I don’t get the question to be honest.
It is just that no one build telegram for SailfishOS packages as they are a bit older.
The flatpak is maintained and works quite ok.

Though also to be honest. This version has limits as the flatpak support is a bit experimental and missing portals still. So you cannot upload files with it for example.
I would really recommend using yottagram or fernschreiber from openrepos which run fine and have plenty of features.

Thanks for the response. But I see that all packages in openrepos have normal *.deb or *.rpm format.
So my question was: can I open Telegram official website, download package for Linux system and install it using pkcon into the phone. And why if not.
So, your answer is because of ‘bit older packages’. Can I ask you for more details?

P.S. I wouldn’t like to use unofficial clients.

There only appear to be x86 and amd64 packages available from the direct soure. You may drop an email to telegram if they were willing to crosscompile to armv7hl. A armv7hl built might run if wayland-compliant.
You might check that on a x86 SfOS platform before, like the Jolla tablet.

2 Likes

PS: What is your problem with unofficial telegram packages, especially as telegram is a security nightmare anyways?

Thanks, but how is Librem 5 able to run desktop Telegram? It is based at ARM (
librem forum).

You may drop an email to telegram

sent few days ago, no answer for now )

Is the app open source? Probably someone built it? Or they might also be using the flatpak package mentioned above?

Seemes like people are utilizing qemu to emulate a x86 environment on the Librem 5.

That’s quite a big workaround and I barely see any advantage to using one of the free clients available on openrepos.
I’m still using Depecher and it’s quite ok except for not supporting private conversations. I haven’t seen a reason to change to one of a the newer clients like yottagram or fernschreiber, but if those support more features I will probably switch. Don’t know if someone ever messed around with qemu on sfos yet, but you are free to do so, that’s the advantage of opensource:)
2 Likes

Ive just tried the Telegram Desktop flatpak package on my Gemini PDA and I really dont think its an alternative to the native implementations. Its pretty unstable. Voice calls doent appear to work (the app immediately crashes). Not to forget its a Desktop interface. Thats ok on the gemini but probably sucks on normal mobile phones.

1 Like

Seemes like people are utilizing qemu to emulate a x86 environment on the Librem 5.

It emulates Librem 5 PureOS at x86 Windows/Linux host machine for testing purposes, doesn’t it?

P.S. Ah, seems I understand you. You think they use x86 image inside PureOS to run x86/amd64 desktop apps. Seems, you are right.

Gemini PDA

your device can use android 4.4 apps by using Dalvik and extra 50 euros )

There is no AD available for the Gemini. I’m also using a XA2 with AD and it’s working flawlessly. Since I’m trying to use as few Android apps as possible I’m not using the official TG-client on this device too, though.

2 Likes

Seems, AD is only one way to use SFOS as an alternative to android/ios. TG-client is not only one app that people are forced to use: skype, slack, multi-factor authentication apps, etc. But it would be great if companies provided their apps for ARM chipset officially. It is mutually beneficial.
ARM is the most popular architecture in mobile phones, isn’t it?
Is rpm package that is built for SFOS applicable for other Linux devices based on ARM or developers have to use special SFOS SDK?

You can always try to get a sfos-arm rpm to run on other, related distros like OpenSuSE and chanches are there that it might run, especially for command line apps. You may have to use the nodeps-flag then. I admitt I never tried that. I did install some fedora and OpenELEC rpms on my Gemini PDA to gain libwidevine compatibility for DRM-encrypted content, and that was no big deal. There is a SfOS-SDK available and it is recommended to be used for development.

1 Like

Because a lot of software on SFOS still is legacy.

Seems I know why Telegram is not updated anymore. SFOS was sold to Russian goverment Corporation “Rostelecom”. And few years ago Pavel Durov who is owner of Telegram left Russia because of pressure on his business (he was owner of big social network based in Russia).

Can you explain your point, or is it only trolling?
What part of your your critics concerns Sailfish and what concerns Telegram, Linux, ARM, Flatpak, Spending 50€ on Software, …?

The Facts (most from this thread):

1. There are rapidly improving 3rd party free, OSS, native Telegram clients available on SFOS.
  2. There has never been any restriction or explicit support for Telegram on the OS side of SFOS, and nothing changed there in the last years.
  3. Jolla partly is owned by Russians since I think something around 2 years or so and partnering closely with Russian OMP. (This is even mentioned in change logs and not a secret)
  4. You can Run a “Official” TG client on SFOS with AD or Flatpak (yeah, this one seems to be crappy, but somehow working and is not a fault of SFOS, isn’t it?).

Opposite. I think SFOS is only one real alternative to Android and iOS for now. I just wondrer why Telegram stopped official updates. And I suppose that is because of Jolla russian relations.
They kicked Durov off his business in Russia.

Jolla partly is owned by Russians

Their part in Jolla is greater than 50%, isn’t it?
p.s. I am ok with AD solution. It is pitty only that it seems to support Sony X which is old enough.

What do you mean by “Telegram is not updated anymore” and “Telegram stopped official updates”? There never was an official Telegram client for Sailfish OS.

3 Likes

Really? I’ve seen “harbour” release somewhere, so expected that is an official one.

harbour also contains 3rd party apps

1 Like