T-Mobile Network Denied on Xperia 10 II

I just installed SFOS on a new international 10 II (dual sim.) I was able to connect to the internet when the device was running Android, but now that SFOS is in it spins while trying to connect for a bit before the network status flips over to Denied. Does anyone know what causes this? It seems some others are using the device on T-Mobile fine, but I have this reproducing on two of them now and T-Mobile wasn’t able to help much (I thought there was some weird carrier lockdown going on with the first, bought a second when I had spare cash.)

Can you install ofono log, turn it on, then toggle airplane mode on and off? Post or dm the log.

Last night I had some time to do some experimenting:
I was able to successfully use the SIM while on the stock sony image.
After flashing to sailfish it started with the “denied” messages.
I then flashed to AOSP, same problem, so whatever the issue is is “beneath” sailfish.
I’ve just now beaten it back into being flashed with the stock sony image, which was a total nightmare, and it no longer connects.

Since the 2nd 10 ii isn’t running Sailfish this is from my first one: at the start it had 4g connectivity, could make calls, etc. Then it got kicked off the network and would only get “Denied” when trying to connect. log

I think I made some progress in the last few days. The Sony rom fails until I update Carrier Services. I’m guessing T-Mobile made some configuration changes within the last few months which SFOS and the underlying Android install can’t understand. If there’s some way to extract whatever SFOS would need from the Sony rom I’d be happy to help.

Did you already try to set your data access protocoll to ipv4?

That allowed it to connect temporarily but then it was kicked off. Also going around town the Xperia 10 ii running stock Android was kicked off of the network, though I think that may be because the stock firmware doesn’t support T-Mobile’s VoLTE?

ofono log with data set to ipv4: http://tekk.in/ofonoipv4.tar.gz

I seem to remember @robthebold was having this problem with the 10ii back in August, any ideas? (@hackman238 was a big help then too, as now)

1 Like

Seeing if I was the only one was part of my intent in asking the question. I seem to have it working for now (maybe the last 3-4 hours or so?)

The magic trick seems to have been putting in an unrelated sim. In my case it was a Simple Mobile (T-Mobile reseller) one. We’ll see if this holds…

EDIT:
Nope, back to Denied shortly after making the post.

1 Like

The instructions there seem to no longer work, sadly:

[root@Xperia10II-DualSIM defaultuser]# zypper install --force ofono-ril-binder-p
lugin
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Forcing installation of 'ofono-ril-binder-plugin-1.2.6-1.4.3.jolla.aarch64' from repository 'adaptation-common'.
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: This request will break your system!
  the installed ofono-binder-plugin-1.1.5-1.4.2.jolla.aarch64 conflicts with 'ofono-ril-binder-plugin' provided by the to be installed ofono-ril-binder-plugin-1.2.6-1.4.3.jolla.aarch64

Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
  ignore the warning of a broken system (requires:droid-hal-version-xqau52)
  deinstallation of ofono-binder-plugin-1.1.5-1.4.2.jolla.aarch64
  deinstallation of patterns-sailfish-device-adaptation-pdx201-0.1.24.3-1.7.2.jolla.aarch64
  deinstallation of patterns-sailfish-device-configuration-xqau52-0.1.24.3-1.7.2.jolla.aarch64
  deinstallation of droid-hal-version-xqau52-0.0.2-1.3.152.jolla.aarch64
 Solution 2: do not install ofono-ril-binder-plugin-1.2.6-1.4.3.jolla.aarch64

1 Like

Indeed, my Sony 10 Xperia II has been suffering from the same issue, that is Network status is denied. A fix of reinstalling ofno drivers did resolve issue temporarily. Red Pocket an MVNO of T-Mobile, SIM card was replaced, and the same issue on phone with Sailfish OS.

I apparently received a call from T-Mobile on Friday stating that they had an actual engineer look at it and determined that the Xperia 10 ii “is incompatible with their network.” At the moment I have a Google Fi sim coming to use as evidence that it is compatible, if it does in fact work.