[Strategies] Bringing more sailors to SFOS

Fair enough. I think I’m a bit spoiled since the experience on SFOS since 4.3 on volla/gs290 (and now GS5) has been really nice. A lot of the issues I see reported I don’t encounter. Some areas, however, I have no knowledge of (volte, for instance). The downside on the volla front is that there are serious issues with opengl which are very frustrating for me as a developer. For my son (who is ten and loves games), they disqualify SFOS off the bat. It’s a too and fro.

In the end, I’m trying to do what I can, as a developer, to make more things work. Not least, because I want my Son to be able to play on SFOS as easily as he does on Android. No mean feat, but, what the hell … here we go!

1 Like

That’s true I also see a progress. in 2018 tested SFOS on X and it was really bad. Now it’s way way better but some basic things are still not polished fully to give it a “randome Joe”. We have to remember that many of us are aware and knows the limitations and also are somehow technical to some extent. So it’s not a problem for us to apply a patch or even make one, dig in the console etc. Yet this is something that shouldn’t be needed at all. Just look for Ubuntu, how long journey the made. Right now you barely touch console. Practically not at all which wasn’t the case with for example Ubuntu 10 or 9.
So yeah, the path is good, the progress is not so great but this is probably the outcome of what I mentioned in other comments - Sony.

1 Like

let’s please stay focus on the topic of this thread which is user strategies for sailfish os, if you wish to talk sailfish os issues, encryptions best practicies, how sailfish os should handle encryptions, please create your own thread or switch the discussion to an appropriated one.

5 Likes

Sadly, IMO, i think the problem is that it’s hard to recommend SailfishOS simply due to how slow it is. I’ve been holding onto hope that its performance would improve, but it doesn’t. I can live with bugs, but i struggle with low performance, especially with how slow it operates by simply only using the browser. After being with SFOS since Jolla 1, I’ve finally removed it from my Xperia 10 and reflashed it with Lineage. I plan to come back once i can find a cheap Xperia 10 III or IV, in hopes of a faster experience.

1 Like

How would you measure this slowness?
Is it render-only?
I have had similar feeling, but it was rather the internet connection.
Comparing is difficult. Interesting would be to compare with Firefox on Android (same engine), with the same mobile network.

Just simply that each operation takes a couple of seconds to complete, while the same operation on android is pretty instantaneous. Like clicking links in the browser, it seems like it has to think for a bit.
I don’t think rendering is an issue at all.
I’m pretty sure Firefox was better via Alien-Dalvik than the native browser as it was always my go to, but it’s been a little while since I’ve compared it so i can’t say for sure. Firefox is faster on Lineage (on the same device).
I can’t completely blame SFOS as the device is on the lower end of performance, which is why I’d be keen to tryb it on the 10 III or IV.

1 Like

Hi tn71, I’m sorry to hear that, I haven’t face the same issues. Regardless of it, please keep in mind that this thread is about what you can do to help (like bug reports).

It would help if things would actually work.

• Dual stack internet is broken for some people/certain networks, and there seems no way to fix it.
  • Apps crash all the time, seemingly because memory management is fudged and running out of memory is all too common.

Personal peeves:

• I can’t even use a HR monitor when exercising because the BT profile for it is missing in SFOS.
  • No version for Fairphone, meaning that I have to buy a new phone every year or so because something breaks. (most often USB or headphone connections, but also screens)
1 Like

Hi 0nn0, just as i told before, could you please keep this thread on how you, an user, would help the operating system. Thank you

1 Like

I forgot to add that. Well, before you can attract people, you need a working user experience. So I’d say that pointing out problems is a first step that I can help in. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed doing bug reports (in the correct thread and more detailed) is a strategy to make the OS better. But here we are talking about bringing to knowledge the OS, regardless of it’s current status of usability. Have you talked about it with your colleagues/friends about it ? Not maybe to tell them to abandon in the next second their phone and migrate to SFOS, but just regarding the fact that, there is something else out there, maybe that won’t suit them perfectly, but there is.

a question:
let’s say that we spread even more info about SFOS and new people will come, how do you want to handle the FUD that will be spread over the network about missing functionalities, bugs and so on that exists for years?

1 Like

I always talk about SFOS to my friends/family/colleagues.
But they often are lazy and don’t care.

Maybe I am not very good in giving an efficient argumentation, although I am convinced.

What would perhaps be useful to promote SFOS:
A clear list of risks/bad sides about using GAFAM tools.

People often answer
“And what? I have nothing to hide”
or
“Even if ‘they’ have my data, what will they do?”
or
“Anyway, we are teacked by the operator with antennae”.
etc

Yes, maybe, that would be of some help: a thread or a wiki, listing articles and studies about ‘dark sides’ of standard OS’s, practices and projects.

2 Likes

The thing is that most people just want to buy a new phone , which is working out of the box. Even the setup steps are often too much.
And if they are interested, they just want to install an app…and it shall work. MicroG et al is too difficult.

I think that the most important thing is the feeling: “It’s so cool! I am technique affine, and don’t bother flashing and setting up MicroG.”

My motivation:

• Hey, it’s Linux.
  • Hey, it’s Linux.
  • Most parts are open source.
  • I have Bash/Busybox.
  • I can hack.
  • I can debug.
  • It’s cool to be able to use Android apps without Android
  • It much cooler than the iPhone, since I have so much control as a user.
7 Likes

Hear the same here but I found lately that there’s one thing that make them think. It was the latest rumor about that Roomba vacum cleaner that made a photo of a lady in a toilet and then that photo was leaked :smiley:
You can also tell them about manufacturers of vacuum cleaner selling plans of their apartments to Ikea and Amazon, there’s article about it.

I found out that these two are triggering some peoples. You can try this.

1 Like

<sarcasm_on>
You forgot:

• hey, sometimes calling doesn’t work
  • sometimes mobile data won’t work
  • sometimes you’ll lose audio during call
  • phone will be slower than normally
  • camera is limited

</sarcasm_off>

As if those don’t happen on android, in fact you compiled bugs from xa2/10II/10III and my mother’s xiaomi experienced 3 of them in the last few months alone. Since it had last software update over a year ago it’s not going to get better (but she relies on spying crap like facebook/messenger etc so won’t be recommending her sfos)

no idea, have company phone, didn’t experience any of that. My second half the same, never such problem.
Actually I never ever experienced any of such issues in any of the phones I ever had in my entire life. And I had something as rare as Motorola E6.

There’s even more issues on android, like having to restart the phone regularly to keep it stable and responsive, issues with bt/nfc transfer (samsung of my sister vs xiaomi of my mother would just not talk to each other and eventually had to use usb cable and laptop) aside from the whole spying crap on top. Pretending android is flawless is absurd
Edit: out of curosity checked sonyxperia subreddit, just from the frontpage:
Unusable after sftware update
Green line on display
Useless notification
Recording long videos overheats phone
Gcam not working
Overheating
Battery drainage issue
Overheating in -15C
Intense bugs
Battery drain
Camera issues
Minimal volume too loud
Unuable after software repair
Issues with LDAC
Battery issues x2
Megathread for issues with android 13, 168 comments (this is two months old)

Yeah how can one ever recommend this

2 Likes