Status Volla Phone with SFOS

Hi,

does anyone know more about the Volla Phone with SailfishOS than is in this video? Sound like a nice device that might be available soon. I hope that it would support newer Android versions than my Jolla C. If someone has some insights here please share!

Thanks.

2 Likes

Actually I did not see any committment by Jolla to provide Android support at all. I think this is currently at the level of a community port.

3 Likes

@piggz is working on SailfishOS port for Volla phone.

5 Likes

A community port with Aliendalvik? It won’t come.

2 Likes

For your info

Seems like they are still on schedule: Next month they start to deliver devices. I am quited excited about the first hands on. :slight_smile:

September Update: Production start and Software Release

1 Like

I do not see a “more privacy” hardware than in any other phone. I am sceptical. Like the Cosmo Communicator companies keep advertising their device as “privacy concerned”, but leaving everything to the community.

Which hardware do you mean? Almost everyone is doomed by virtual monopolies like broadcom’s…

I build embedded systems and see the only way forward as being something like the open risc approaches. But almost everyone is doing ARM. And that’s a closed ecosystem by design.

Exactly. But nothing open for GSM. By law :frowning:

I’m not sure I understand what GSM as a standard which predominantly limits our use of the spectrum as it is auctioned off by the state (a problem to be sure) has to do with open hardware.

There are even several, legal, implementations for base stations in software like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBTS. Clear, they’re not doing conventional switching but VOIP, still. And of course not to forget (I’m in Germany) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmocom especially BB which is the only current mobile phone base band processor that’s completely open. The CCC uses it to provide cellular at festivals.

The problem with open hardware as I see it is virtual monopolies and anti-competitive behavior by foundries.

Since it’s titled Status:

short update:
was able to conect phone with my helmet headset.
magic earth running iin waydroid gives me turn by turn voice navigation even when display is off. i can do navigation easily a full day long :slight_smile:

only problem i had:
i disabled mobile data in sfos in swiss, however i got a nice bill, seems that mobile network continued to run in waydroid

update: just checked my bill, it was one connection with 1.7 mb in swiss that caused a bill of 25 bucks :frowning:
was i just too late with turning mobile network of ? maybe
we would need a separation for roaming eu-roaming / rest …
but maybe no problem with waydroid here

1 Like