Starting camera is slow in 4.2.0.19

Any hint/workaround on this one? I pisses me off every time that I need to wait ~10 secs when I need to take a photo…
I have not had such an annoying issue with SailfishOS since the Aqua Fish camera focus was ticking by itself.

1 Like

No :frowning:
Get used to it.
Wait 4-6 months.
And hope for a fix in next release…

2 Likes

Two Workarounds:

Use an Android App. These tend to be somewhat faster.

Take your time, think about the picture, choose your motives wisely. :wink:

1 Like

The problem is described in this blog post

Slow loading time of native applications is caused by sandboxing. Every sandboxed application needs to load their own copy of libraries, which results in longer starting times and increased memory consumption. Issue is said to be addressed in future release 4.3 and will cover selected jolla apps.

1 Like

I do have to wonder about the whole idea of libraries. If every app needs a separate copy of libraries, it’s just going to be a whole lot worse than totally static compilation of programs.

It seems to me that full static compilation actually results in smaller faster programs, that are less brittle with time and OS version changes. Shared libraries seem to be something that is only beneficial in theory, but all downside in practice.

And that’s before sandboxing…

1 Like

Did anyone have experiences with the 4.3 EA?

I am not dare enough to update my daily driver XA2, but this issue is really, really PITA so I might reconsider living dangerously this time…

XA2 Plus with 4.3 EA.
About 7s to get first picture.

1 Like

Many thanks for checking it, and I am very disappointed to hear your results :frowning:

1 Like

checked on Jolla C, it’s 6s.

1 Like

“Lucky guys”

on my just vanilla updated X the camera does not start at all

Guys, it is 2023 I know that the XA2 is not a flagship device at Sailfish OS anymore, but take a look on these two videos (taken with a licensed 4.5.0.18):

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8r2B2e7YKgs?feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ReIImXb0M2M

It takes eight-ish seconds to turn the camera on.
Every time.
No matter if it is started from lock screen or from an app.

Any advice how to improve it without using an Android apps would be welcome.
I would happily turn off/get rid from the sailjail if possible to speed up my camera start time.

I am considering abandon the platform due to this issue.

1 Like