Sony Xperia 10 V - First impressions

I hope I have made clear why I am not going to buy a 10 V so soon after the 10 III. Isn’t it odd framing reasonable and serious criticism about Jolla’s strategy concerning new devices i.c. the 10 V as whining?
Why not simply and openly saying: we will not change our strategy, we keep going like before?

1 Like

because it’s not really legitimate criticism: jolla needs to sell licences. to sell licences, they need to have a device available to purchase by people who might like to use a licence. they develop SFOS X on sony mid-range devices (for lots of good and readily understood reasons), and these devices are refreshed annually and produced for just a year.

if you want to complain about the entire strategy of relying on annually refreshed devices, with all perilous eco-baddy’ness that involves, then that deserves it’s own discussion.

6 Likes

’ I.c. the 10 V’ means in casu the 10 V. This is the context: the next Sony device supported by Jolla.
Finally, after 10 years having used Sailfish and after about 8 eight years of posting the same ideas, you have made clear to me that Jolla’s strategy will not change. Good to know, thank you.

3 Likes

And just make that clear: What were your first impressions of the Sony Xperia 10 V?

3 Likes

It has the same ratio as the 10 III : 21:9. This is a no go for me, because I have trouble reading texts on the 10 III. Some texts are cropped.
The fingerprint button is on the side at the same place, another issue because it only works sometimes in the dark on my 10 III. Fingerprint on the back op my XA2 plus always works, both with Sailfish.
The battery has more capacity, which is nice.
Perhaps the speakers will function better than of the 10 III.
The back side is made of plastic, that’s while it has a bit less weight than the 10 II.
I know something about plastics, but that’s off topic.
The LED notification does not function anymore. Wonderful, because that was a nuisance to me. However, to those who relied on it, this really is a change.
So the 10 V is slightly better compared to the 10 III but not much.

3 Likes

It seems it’s currently cheaper to buy 8GB ram model from amazon US (340$ + 90$ shipping/customs to EU) than buying 6GB in EU, all EU online sellers seem to have 440euro base price now, was around 380ish a month ago (found one place with 380 still but only for the violet colour model, black/white/green all at 440)

1 Like

Maybe the price will drop since 10 VI will launch in about a month.

I don’t know where you are located, but in Germany, you can easily get it for around 350€:
https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/202834143_-xperia-10-v-sony.html

2 Likes

I’ve checked my national (e)shops and gigantti that was linked here, it seemed all of them conspired on 440euro now, while it was 380 just a month ago, currently only one colour left in that price and outlets that were offering black ones for 380 just list 440 now, glad to see you can save 30euro for 2GB less in germany still
Edit: I’ve no clue if any EU operator supports the extra lte 1000/100 band (or if sfos will too)

1 Like

Don’t you think that may be the Euro is inflating?
I don’t think, I know it.

4 Likes

Now 399 € at https://www.gigantti.fi/product/puhelimet-tabletit-ja-alykellot/puhelimet/sony-xperia-10-v-5g-alypuhelin-6128-gb-musta/625938. If you bought it in the last 50 days and didn’t open the package yet, you should be able to get 50 € refunded by going to a store and showing you still have the product unopened.

3 Likes

I the Xperia 10 V official new devices for Sailfish OS?

We are expecting 10 IV and 10 V support announcement soon.
Nothing official yet though.

Really, we haven’t seen any new device announcement from Jolla for quite a while and have been overdue for quite some time.

I’m not sure what is going on financially with Jolla but I suspect they are not doing well, partially because of the geopolitical events that has happened for the past years. This is also what you get when you don’t develop a store for your system. 10-30% (Apple takes 30%) from the sales revenue is good money.

They did get funding, so their situation is better now.

About the store, i bet the income wouldn’t even cover the costs. But i’m not against it though.

The current model just makes more sense now.

1 Like

And I don’t. Some others do and then again others don’t.

And when was the announcement of hardware due since you seem to know it’s overdue.

Speculation does not help.

1 Like

A lot of things happened last year with restructuring and everything, but Jolla is still alive and secured some fundings.

Good news about support for vi and v!

22 Likes

Looks great, though does that suggest no AppSupport for the time being?

Yes, I think we get Sauna for 10 IV and V but without AppSupport and the next version without old devices will have Android support. So I think The android api level will be updated soon but only for new devices.
I want to buy the XQ-DC72 but this model seems to be not supported :frowning: