Sony Xperia 10 V - First impressions

If you want a flip cover to the X10V, I can recommend this one.
Fairly thin and magnetic.

5 Likes

What I truely hate about the Xperia 10s is the on-off-button on the side, exactly where in so many situations/positions I naturaly place my fingers to grab the phone. Pressing there a number of seconds shuts down the phone without confirmation from me. … :frowning:

Moreover the plastic in the back cover of my current X 10 ii is much too slippery, (having dry skin accentuates problem of holding/grabbing the phone), makng the phone actually slide off horizontal planes. The Xpera 10 III feels similar, but I haven’t bothered to install SFOS and take it in use (due to some serious SFOS function issues with the III). Haven’t yet unpacked my new V and checked whether there are any changes to the plastic quality, (awaiting official announcement on SFOS application).

I would also rather have the USB charge port on the top surface in stead of current position at the bottom.

Seriously? My DD since August 2022. The only serious issue I ever had was no mobile data two years ago during a trip to austria (worked alright this year).

2 Likes

Yes, seriously.
I’ve understood there to still be problems with echoing and MMS.

EDIT: - and color banding and, most importantly, power consumption.
Have I misunderstood?

Yeah, probably should give it a go and see if those are really such huge issues, all have workarounds, and most are overblown (color banding - really? Took me a while to even notice as you need specific dark colour ambience and lowest display setting to even be noticeable, took me a while to reproduce and actually see what it was about. Echo - just keep volume at 1/2-2/3 or can now use android 13 binaries as those supposedly fix it if you have hearing issues, or just loudspeaker/headphones MMS not even sure, I don’t use it and don’t remember any posts, battery - again one user mostly complaining about his 4g operator and seeing some weird cell switching(?) causing drain on LTE)

4 Likes

Thank you. I never found out how to reproduce this.

And I totally agree. Many problems are far more visible than evident. A typical iPhone user loves the wellness feature of having the opportunity to digitally detox a few hours a week while a member of this forum simply cannot live with having to reload his phone every other day. This forum pretty much focuses on problems and solutions and it is really good at that. But you might get a wrong impression of the general usability of SF.

Sailfish is far from perfect but a lot better than good enough. It was on the X, XA2 and is on the 10III.

btw: the last mms I saw in Germany was actually a sms with a url. I am not sure wether that service… wait… Vodafone has stopped the service in January 2023. Telekom and O2 will follow by the end of 2024.

5 Likes

It does seem to be your operator and XIII (or maybe even your operator and your XIII) as just like in your bug report thread eson stated, others have 4G on 24/7 and don’t get that, me included.
And the rest is again subjective, 2/3 volume works for me even in noisy environments, I don’t use adaptive brightness, but use static 15-20% and only switch to 80-100 when needed, so never hit this bug, and again it took me a while to notice the effect even when knowing how to reproduce and what to look for, it is still insignificant. So yeah, espen, unless you’re hard of hearing and regularly browse photos in the dark with adaptive brightness, both bugs might scound scarier than they are (and again supposedly already fixed for 13)

I bought the 8gb XQ-DC72 device off the following ebay listing:

Before I pulled the trigger I checked the sellers feedback, where there was nothing to give me any doubt.

Although the item is listed as being located in Switzerland, the address given in the ebay confirmation email is in Hong Kong. I suspected that might have been the case from the delivery schedule given in the listing.

Happily the phone arrived 8 days after purchase, with no customs fee, well wrapped and in good condition.

Sony’s packaging is as pictured earlier in this thread, and I’d like confirmation from @eson or @demislition that there was no plastic used at all.

It was very eco-friendly, to the point that there are no accessories (no cable, charger, etc), and the screen was protected by a lightly sticky paper covering.

I don’t think the device has been tampered with by the seller, and the reason is thus:

As @eson says, Android sucks! The device had a 54% charge when I turned it on, and was at the usual fresh startup screen where you have to choose the language. I went through a very basic setup, didn’t create or sign in on any accounts, and decided to shut it down and put the thing away, only I couldn’t! Holding the power button didn’t bring me the option, instead Google wanted me to sign in/up for some application.

Absolutely disgusting :frowning:

I tried holding down the power and vol up/down button, but that only seemed to restart.
I ended up just putting it back in the box, and if the power runs out so be it, I’ll recharge the device and run the preflash tests towards the end of the month just in case the Sauna release brings support for it.

Anyway, that was the reason I don’t think the seller had tampered with it, as I think you’d have to go to the lengths of doing a factory reset to get to the state it was in when i first powered it up.

1 Like

https://helpguide.sony.net/mobile/xperia-10m5/v1/en/contents/restart_reset_device.html

Forcing the device to restart or shut down

1. Long press the power button and the volume up button at the same time until your device vibrates.
  2. Depending on whether you wish to force the device to restart or shut down, proceed as follows.
  • If you wish to force restart the device: Release the buttons at this point. The device restarts.
  • If you wish to force shut down the device: Continue pressing the buttons. After a few more seconds, the device vibrates three times and turns off.
4 Likes

I haven’t opened mine so I can’t confirm what’s inside, but the package is effectively two half-shells held together with a cardboard sleeve. The shells do have a plasticky feel to themselves, but it does look like they are some sort of hard cardboard.

1 Like

Instead of that it has an all-plastic back, rather than glass like previous models.

As for lack of any accessories, I wouldn’t call it eco-friendly, either, because in many cases it then takes buying them separately, each of them in its own packaging (often blister pack), foil, manual / leaflet, receipt, etc.

I was ridiculing it mostly because for every person that comes out of the woodwork and brings random papercuts/bugs etc in unrelated threads (see the recent AI thread) there are hundreds that use sfos daily on the XIII and either don’t get impacted by them because of their use case, find them to be not that important/significant etc, and don’t find the need to reply, but as you can see, narrative is mostly created by the complainers, I’m sure espen is not the only person who believes XIII is not fit for daily usage

2 Likes

Off topic… Nothing is related to Xperia V .
It’s a mess that every thread ends in the same way.

4 Likes

You are right, no plastic here (In the packaging).

There is however one other thing regarding your purchase. I have a strong feeling that the XQ-DC72 might not be officially supported by the Jollyboys. It is intended for the Asian market and some components may require different drivers than the one we can buy in Europe (XQ-DC54).
I don’t know for sure though so let’s hope my suspicions are wrong.

2 Likes

Half this thread is OT now, so please @Jolla, move those posts elsewhere.

3 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation.

I’ve mentioned buying Xperias off ebay before and other people have reported poor experiences, having received used or opened devices, so I just wanted to show that there are good sellers out there, and provide an option for those interested.

I’m not too concerned about Jolla supporting this device, in the past they supported the XA2 in several size and RAM configirations, and feel confident that if they do offer a release for the 10V, the differences with this version are so minor, it won’t be a problem.

1 Like

It’s not that hard actually. Connected to ‘Emma’ you’ll get an option to just wipe out user data and reboot into factory state. At least I got that option. But then again, I didn’t upgrade to Android 14.

2 Likes

Using the V for some time now I can definitely see an improvement over the III.
Performance, camera, battery life, sound, even the annoying slipperiness of the III.
Not quite sure how much of that will still be the case with sailfish thought.
But battery life is really great so I believe that even with the typical battery butchering we see on sfos, it will still be an improvement.

6 Likes

Every two years a new device isn’t eco-friendly at all. Imagine what an electronic waste and use of precious sources it will be if every person during a lifetime buys a new device that lasts only two years. Jolla could and should coöperate with Fairphone or Gigaset in order to become more eco-friendly. Gigaset would be a fine option because they stick to jacks and sd-cards, also better than clouds and wireless in-ears on batteries.

6 Likes

Again, Off Topic.
Can you all please keep your posts in the right thread?
This thread is about Sony Xperia 10 V, and nothing else.
Whining, complaints and other irrelevant things, are best posted in the threads concerned.

Oohh yes, I know I’ve been off topic myself some times. :wink:

2 Likes