Some android apps have only partial or flawed gallery access on 4.1.0.24 (Kvarken)

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes (sort of - different breakage)

DESCRIPTION:

Some android apps (eg Signal) can see only some items from the gallery (for example). Others browse the entire list but in arbitrary order (eg Discord) instead of in date order.

PRECONDITIONS:

N/a

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Launch Signal (for example)
  2. Hit + to add a file in a channel/conversation
  3. Select ‘Gallery’

EXPECTED RESULT:

Gallery contents are shown in some predictable order

ACTUAL RESULT:

Gallery results are mostly missing: There are placeholders for most of the items but selecting them just causes the file upload process to abort.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

In the previous release quite often there were some gallery itemns missing, but you simply couldn’t see them at all in the affected app(s). Also there are far more items missing now.

3 Likes

try rebuild/clear tracker database, in sailfish utilites ( android app do not show pictures, because it deleted from your device, but tracker do not understand it )

Already did that and rebooted, no effect.

1 Like

hw, on most cases it hepls me…

These are not deleted pictures. They are all still there and other android apps can see and use them.

oh… seems problem with signal. maby it uses some non standart Gallery widget … Can you attach same picture as document ( not using gallery ) ?

Yes, if I chose “file” rather than gallery. However in this case there’s no preview so I have to look up the filename in the native gallery first.

yeah, it not comfortable way…

Mee too. Some images in the camera folder on my SD card are invisible to Signal and Threema. Native apps like Fernschreiber can see them. As far as I see only rather new pictures are invisible.

Applying the fix listed here (as root) worked for me…after a reboot:

Already encountered that fix - but the ownership is correct already (and some apps have no problem so I don’t see how it can be an ownership/permissions problem)

Try making the ownership of that directory (and all files) ‘nemo:media_rw’.

Same problem here (XA2 4.1.0.24).
Sometimes, when I try to choose a pictures, Signal gallery crash in a quick blank screen.
Maybe a similar problem with Whatsapp gallery wich is crashing very often.

This fix seems to have fixed some gallery problems (for Whatsapp / Insta …) but unfortunately not for Signal…

I have the exact same issue on a XA2 dual sim with sailfish 4.3.0.12.
Deleted .cache from defaultuser + reboot → that did not help
Used the “clean index” option from the sailfish utilities → that did not help neither
In both cases, the gallery took a while to display again the pictures. While signal dsiplayed the pictures (some of them) ok…
It seems it concerns pictures that I’ve downloaded from an email but the permissions seems to be the same as pictures taken from the device.

Permisson groups are not the same in the Picture folder and the mail attachment folder for. ex.

My observation is that only pictures taken by jolla camera are ‘black’ in signal. Advanced Camera pictures (from the time it worked) shows up in Signal gallery. Same for screenshots and other pictures.
Other Android apps seem work correctly.

The w/a to send pictures via signal is to share to android Photo Editor and then share again to signal.

After the post on the other thread I did an experiment - I changed aspect ratio for a pictures in Jolla Camera app from 16:9 → 4:3. Made a picture and it appeared in signal.

Seems like “wide” pictures have something signal can’t read for some reason. But do not know which side the problem exactly lies on.

adding to this; i changed from 16:9 to the cropped 4:3 and my pictures still appear normally as they should in signal. so i think its not that simple…

grrrr. Changed resolution back and forth and ended up not working for both aspect ratios.