SMS Says 'Sending....' forever but message actually sent

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): Sometimes
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): XA2
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Unknown

DESCRIPTION:

Sometimes when sending an SMS message the status is set to “Sending…” and remains there forever, even though the SMS message has actually been successfully sent and received on the recipients phone.

PRECONDITIONS:

Unknown
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Send an SMS message
  2. Wait for the status message “Sending …”
  3. Wait for the Status message to confirm sent - never happens, but message actually sent

EXPECTED RESULT:

“Sending …” disappears when message has been sent

ACTUAL RESULT:

The sending message stays there forever on the SMS

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

6 Likes

It happens on my Xperia 10 too.

Previous occurrences
https://together.jolla.com/question/193754/sms-sent-but-status-permanently-sending/

1 Like

I get this sometimes on my Xperia 10 II running 4.1. Seems to happen more with some contacts than others, but I’ve got no idea why.

Issue occurs on my XA2+

Yes, happens to me sometimes with XA2+ running 4.3

I thought this issue were gone, but I experienced it just the other day, on my Xperia 10 running 4.3.

When I experienced this almost daily, it was mainly with one contact which I had large conversation history with.

Happened to me this week to multiple contacts.
Restart network nor reboot helps. Keeps Sending… forever.
Xperia 10 II, 4.4.0.64 Vanha Rauma

It happens to me when I reply immediatly to a SMS I have just received. It says “Sending…” but the SMS has actually been sent. (on XA2+).

1 Like

No updates or comments from Jolla on this? It’s still happening on my Xperia 10II running 4.4. I seem to have more connectivity problems that I used to.

Yep happens all the time X10iii 4.4

I wonder if this is anything to do with 4G/3G switching.
I think that like volte, my phone might have to change to 3G to send an sms

As far as I recall it happened on the JP1 too so very old issue.

I also seem to recall that it has something todo with the phone not receiveing a confirmation of receipt from the network.

Still doing it with 4.5.0.18…

(I tried sending when phone was on 4G. The phone folds back to 3G to send a text. This did not cause the issue - which I have previously speculated could be a cause. Of course it could still be an issue if the 3G signal is much weaker than the 4G one, which it quite often is, but not when I did this test.)

Yep … Twenty characters

Same here.
4.5.0.18 on Sony Xperia 10 II

I found a similar report in our internal tracker

2 Likes

This issue has been happening for me since - I believe my N9 days. It’s random, sometimes I can resend, other times I just delete the message.
X10 III here

I think my issue is slightly different. For me the messaging app says ‘Sending’ implying that it is still trying to send the message, but in actual fact the message has been sent and successfully received.

Its just that the status label hasn’t been updated to ‘Sent’, maybe due to a problem with processing or receiving an acknowledgement or whatever. So in my case it is unnecessary to cancel and resend.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same issue a couple of months ago when I texted a bit more vigorously i.e. exchanged multiple messages with the same recipient in a quick sequence (imagine IM over SMS).
But I have not spotted it on sporadic / isolated SMS-es.