SFOS support for new xperia devices

Probably not: there are four licence groups. A licence from one group cannot be used on a device from another group. 10 and 10 II are in different licence groups (information from: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003837053?mobile_site=true)

3 Likes

Yeah, shame as I wanted to get it via the discount :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not 100%. Jolla transfered an unused X (group 4) to XA2 (group 3). So, as of my understanding, they did it, but they didn’t have to…

Existing customers have (so far) always received a hefty discount on a license for the latest supported device during the first couple of weeks, even if you only ever bought a Jolla phone you’ll probably get a nice price cut on the license when it’s out.

3 Likes

Ended up buying a licence for Xperia 10 (which I own), then we’ll get one for the Xperia 10 III (or II) when I get one of those devices. Need to support Jolla :slight_smile:

1 Like

btw, then I’ll go search again, but haven’t find anything yet, what was the Jolla rationale to support only Xperia 10 devices? I understand they use it as ‘reference’ device, fair enough, but I’m sure people would love Sailfish on more powerful devices (for example Xperia 5 or even the 1) as they too get added to the Open Device program by Sony.

And with the big news that Android system is now signed, that might be quite a push for people to get serious about Sailfish as an even better alternative to Android or iOS.

They’ve never explained their rationale, but I suspect it’s because a cheaper device will appeal to a larger base.

There is a community port of the last gen Tama devices (XZ2, XZ2c, XZ2 Premium, XZ3), and they’ve asked Jolla to license Android Support for it, but nothing has come forth yet, and with Waydroid making leaps and bounds into that space, you wonder if Jolla have lost a potential source of income.

3 Likes

In better response to yours and everyone else, I would suggest… running tests. And the first test I would do is on the web engine with Octane 2.0.

Octane primarily tests JS functions, but they can make direct calls to the CPU and GPU.
A few tables under the spoilers here, containing the scores of both my Thinkpad T440s and my AMD Ryzen PC, both on Firefox.

Thinkpad T440s, Intel i5-4300U, Manjaro Linux, Firefox

Octane Score: 3519

[Richards]
Core language features

[Deltablue]
Core language features

[Crypto]
Bit & Math operations

[Raytrace]
Core language features

[EarleyBoyer]
Memory & GC

[Regexp]
Strings & arrays

[Splay]
Memory & GC

[SplayLatency]
GC latency

[NavierStokes]
Strings & arrays

[pdf.js]
Strings & arrays

[Mandreel]
Virtual machine

[MandreelLatency]
Compiler latency

[GB Emulator]
Virtual machine

[CodeLoad]
Loading & Parsing

[Box2DWeb]
Bit & Math operations

[zlib]
asm.js

[Typescript]
Virtual machine & GC

AMD Ryzen 2600, RX480, Windows 10, Firefox

Octane Score: 21702

Richards
Core language features

Deltablue
Core language features

Crypto
Bit & Math operations

Raytrace
Core language features

EarleyBoyer
Memory & GC

Regexp
Strings & arrays

Splay
Memory & GC

SplayLatency
GC latency

NavierStokes
Strings & arrays

pdf.js
Strings & arrays

Mandreel
Virtual machine

MandreelLatency
Compiler latency

GB Emulator
Virtual machine

CodeLoad
Loading & Parsing

Box2DWeb
Bit & Math operations

zlib
asm.js

Typescript
Virtual machine & GC

And then finally, the Octane bench on my Sony Xperia XA2 H3123, Sailfish OS 4.1, Aliendalvik disabled.

Xperia XA2, SFOS 4.1, no Aliendalvik loaded

Octane Score: 4479

Richards
Core language features

Deltablue
Core language features

Crypto
Bit & Math operations

Raytrace
Core language features

EarleyBoyer
Memory & GC

Regexp
Strings & arrays

Splay
Memory & GC

SplayLatency
GC latency

NavierStokes
Strings & arrays

pdf.js
Strings & arrays

Mandreel
Virtual machine

MandreelLatency
Compiler latency

GB Emulator
Virtual machine

CodeLoad
Loading & Parsing

Box2DWeb
Bit & Math operations

zlib
asm.js

Typescript
Virtual machine & GC

I would like someone to post the bench on their X10ii if possible, so we can see the difference it makes just between a couple of years in hardware innovation.

PS. I had to tediously copypaste the results text over to Notes to get it all, so have fun with that.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m sorry for not having been around for a while … life happens or however the saying goes …

since I’ve read about the “10 III Dual-SIM” to be supported now too; When would you suggest to buy that? It has been announced but it’s not working yet and you cannot buy it yet from what I can see.

also: Can anyone tell me more about the camera in the “10 II Dual-SIM” and how well it works under Sailfish? I shall try and get a “10 II Dual-SIM” or “10 III Dual-SIM” next; and @olf ? you’re right, it’s now more difficult to get one … why is it that all the nice things have to be sold out so fast?

1 Like

Xperia 5 III is now listed in Sony’s open devices here: https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/supported-devices-and-functionality/

Any plans to support SailfishOS on it in the future?

interesting kernel/device support graph at the bottom of that page.

seems like the xperia 5 II might be a more realistic option, in sharing the kernel 4.19 kernel with the xperia 10 III, where the xperia 5 III jumps up all the way to kernel 5.4:

1 Like

It most probably that mark IIIs are AOSP12, not currently supported by hybris patches (even if launched with 11)

1 Like

Linux 4.4→4.9→4.14→4.19→5.4 are always increments in +5 releases steps: There is no “jump”, because Linus Torvalds rolls over after x.19 or x.20 (so there is at most 1 release variance): No real “major” release of Linux exists since v3!

BTW, these are simply kernel.org’s official “longterm release” versions, which most Linux vendor use (except for Canonical, they prefer to have NIH).

3 Likes

sure, but until Jolla support an Experia AOSP device that uses Android 12 / Kernel 5.4 i imagine that any community device support will have an easier time if that devices’ AOSP uses the same building blocks as a pre-existing Jolla SFOS device, i.e. the 5 II because of its similarity to the hardware adaptation already accomodated for in the 10 III.

Any news on Sailfish starting to support newer AOSP?

3 Likes

So, how are things?
I remember someone said that jolla won’t go into flagship devices because they are costly and so
Still if Jolla would adapt Xperia 1 III and 5 III I would buy one of those devices and happily buy another licence. Im sure Im not the only one here.
We are what we are with our mindsets driven towards linuxes.
We sailors live in ram hungry environment.
Os alone likes to eat it not even adding android apps on top of it.

So we have, within reach, platforms that offers 8 or 12GB of RAM! and much faster CPUs.Many users here will go for em Im sure so what are the jolla motivation to leave those and focus on low-mid range device?
I live with 4GB of Ram and a lot of combined swap on my Xperia 10 II and I believe there will be not that much memory improvment when switching to 10 III. But if we go to 5 III (8GB) or 1 III (12GB) we can focus on those device for a long, long time never running out of memory which can cause system to misbehave.

What are yours opinion? Should jolla go for metioned platforms? How many of you would buy device + licence? How we can convince Jolla to go with that?

On top of all of this I can contribute to the project with some donations. Heck, time when we were trying to free up some more kb of ram on N900 are gone and this ram wonderland is so close only if Jolla could see it

5 Likes

I’d be in for 5 II. And I just noticed that the Android Kernel on both 1 II and 5 II is the same as for 10 III.
I’m no dev, but I ask myself if it is that complicated to bring SFOS to that device as the binaries do exists and the underlying kernel is the same as for 10 III. (But as said, I may think to easy.)

7 Likes

Im no dev too, but kernel-wise it seems easy, hardware seems to be the same too, only more RAM.
5 II also seems like good platform, I would be in for it too, especially if our thinking is correct.
Can someone elaborate to this?

1 Like

stop dreaming, people

6 Likes

Maybe that is possible by a patch, like that patch that make the official jolla Xperia X Image running on my x compact.

1 Like