SFOS 4.5 feedback thread

A hint that says that you need to start the App Support once (i.e. only the first time after the update) directly from the settings menu first before you can start an Android App (because initially all the icons disappeared). Most users (including me) are used to indirectly starting App Support by clicking on an Android App icon …

Btw, there is start AppSupport on boot switch in the Settings → Android AppSupport.

Hope this helps some.

1 Like

After a week using 4.5 I have to say that the Android connectivity worsened in almost every aspect for my X10II.
Handover from Wifi is not working properly e.g. for Threema or Telegram or Android Browsers, I had to restart the Android support a couple of times. After phone calls in 2G, when Network has to catch 4G again, the Android apps also often struggle to reconnect. This was all working in 4.4, it’s a bit disappointing to have that regression now.
edit: However, Threema calls and Telegram calls connect flawlessly now, even between two Sailfish clients. This was a one-in-five until SF4.4.

1 Like

I don’t believe I’ve successfully sent an MMS on t-mobile US since late last year. And watching some ubports telegram talk about US providers there seems to be a similar or perhaps identical issue there too.

I also noticed today that the download button of an episode in gpodder is missing. As it is a python base app, I will try to investigate what the cause might be.

2 Likes
  • SFOS 4.5.0.16 and 4.5.0.18 (Xperia 10 III)
    Signal Android app gives notification of a new message two times.
    I press the clear button in the event screen but the notification re-appears.
    Anyone else getting this? I didn’t find anybody reporting it…
    This was introduced with 4.5.0.16.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Apropos of nothing, I’m having a good time with SFOS 4.5, but I see many others with the exact same phone having a rough time with the software. I wonder why this could be the case? I’d imagine since the hardware is exactly the same, that the end result should be mostly consistent? I’m not even referring to cellular network stuff here.

1 Like

I’m not having such a good time with SFOS 4.5. Battery consumption is terrible. Where I had about 4 days of (easy, mostly idle) use with 4.4, I now have maximum 24 hours with 4.5. :cry:

2 Likes

Look at this

1 Like

Updated XA2 U DS OTA from 4.5.16 to 4.5.18.

Browser now plays sound but video freezes now while sound keeps playing. Browser is also very slowed up when opening a web page and scrolling.

Battery use is terrible.

Every reboot produces a different problem with either wifi on and sim off or the other way round or both off or sometimes how it should be with both on.

Don’t judge me on this one. Cant remember if i had spellcheck and word suggestion but keyboard is not suggesting words or doing spellcheck. Capitalising the first letter just started working now while typing this.

Bluetooth seems to be working now but took forever to find a device that was previously paired.

In OSM Scout, no GPS.

Edit
Did a clean install and flashed 4.5.0.18.
Most issues I had, are gone now. Except problem with OSM Scout. Still cant get gps lock.

1 Like

Mullvad dont work on XA2… shit

1 Like

I reply when my 10 arrives, not impressed by the feedback for now :o

Good luck. Please don’t forget that negative feedback is way more visible as most often we don’t bother to report positive one.
I have 10 also and it works nicely for me.

4 Likes

I can confirm the missing icon in GPodder

In RPN Calc (also Python) the delete button is missing as well. Like in GPodder you can tap on the black space and have the function

I encountered two new bugs in 4.5 in the UX around the handling of the app drawer:
First, when I have the second page of the app drawer open, then close it (by starting an app or by an edge swipe) and immediately open the app drawer again by a swipe from the bottom edge, the second page comes up directly instead of the first page.
Second, when I try to tap an app icon in the bottom row, the top menue frequently opens instead of the app starting.
My device is an XA2 Ultra.

Is it this bug?

I guess, but I understood the release notes such that this bug is supposed to be fixed now, thus I thought it would be useful to mention it anyways.

I know, negative feedbacks do more loudness then positive ones. I’ve a strong familiarity with iOS forums where every releases people start whining about how bad Apple is. So I am way more then prepared for SFOS, that I believe could be more stable then latest iOS hahaha :smiley:

1 Like

I do hope you’ll not be disappointed.
Freedom and privacy do have price ;).

3 Likes

Gpodder has a pull request in github to fix this. I fixed it myself on my phone in qml. The name of the icon had changed.