SFOS 4.5 feedback thread

I forgot to add that I did have to remove and re-pair bluetooth in my older (2004) Honda. My newer (2013) did not require this. All other paired devices (headset, speakers, Fujitsu-Tens Eclipse AVN unit) all worked without any effort.

I did notice a need for more swap, so I’ve bumped my sdcard swap file from 512M to 2048M. Sort of a nuclear increase- I probably could have got away with just bumping to 768M.

Also, registration to NordVPN using OpenVPN working more reliably. It used to fail occasionally.

Frankly, for me 4.5 is the best release so far - I have yet to find regressions. (I am using two SFOS devices as daily drivers, a 10ii and a 10iii) Therefor, I am curious what the six regressions are you experienced. Further above, you mentioned for regressions that I do not have (mobile data is relaibly for me, Android support is even improved for me, notifications are fine and Bluetooth also works for me on both devices)
Apparently we have quite diverging experiences and I wonder why …

4 Likes

the 6 regressions are on Xperia 10 III. i also have an XZc and an XZ2

1. some android apps cant see sdcard anymore. sdcard isnt always mounted and available to coolreader when android starts. have to open it, close it, open it, and then try to select the sdcard dir. sometimes it crashes. (on 4.4, its just always there)
  2. media scanner/service use 100% cpu, forever, as soon as android boots. waited 5 days for it to finish, it never finished. i have .nomedia files everywhere, so i have no idea what its doing. i think maybe its hanging and busy-waiting because of the sdcard mounting issue
  3. element, and some other android apps, install just fine on 4.4, and crash on open on 4.5
  4. cannot SEND mms, at all (receive works fine, and the ‘waiting’ bug really is fixed)
  5. cannot bluetooth, at all (works fine on 4.4)
  6. when i have ANY notifications, at all, no further notifications make any noise (or unlock the screen, or show a banner) until i clear all notifications

the 3 android regressions i might be able to workaround by downgrading aliendalvik. i believe i can make this work
bluetooth and notifications i havent had enough time to debug, but i think i might be able to fix them or workaround. i can try bluez, and i can see look at the notification qml and dbs and maybe see whats going on.

MMS, i have little hope for. its virtually unused outside of the USA, and the only carriers that work on saiflish here do weird awful things for MMS. T-Mobile, my carrier, requires IPv6 for MMS, and doesnt work over wifi. sailfish is notorious for routing and DNS issues at the best of times, and mms-engine has some bugs about which rmnet interface it selects/etc. T-Mobile has a website where you can look at your messages which doesnt work on aliendalvik chrome or on the sailfish browser, or as an android app, so i have to log on to that website on my laptop every time i get an MMS, which is about twice per day. (MMS is abused for multi-user messaging here, and is by far the most common groupchat implementation)

2 Likes

I have found that the T-Mobile USA “DIGITS” Android app allows me to view MMS messages perfectly and is very convenient. It’s also nice for checking voicemail. When I get an MMS and see that infernal Waiting… message, I just open the DIGITS app and can instantly view it. My only gripe is that it requires MicroG or full GPlay services to run correctly, but is better (for me, at least) than going to my laptop to login every time I get one.

1 Like

I am posting my upgrade experience with 4.5. I have an Xperia 10 III with two different SIM cards installed that is my daily driver and an Xperia XA2 Ultra with NO SIM card that I only use for checking email, calendar, and web surfing at certain times. I will not use anything other than Sailfish and am overall pleased with the upgrade. I do have a few issues, though:

Battery drain is dramatically worse on both of my devices. I used to end each day with around 70% on my 10 III and now I end at 40%. The XA2 Ultra is not used as often but even idle drains 15-20% in a day.

My WhatsApp notification sound is extremely quiet now, it is not the normal Jolla chat notification. So I have to check for the light frequently or I’ll miss messages.

My 10 III stopped working at 100% during the update and had to be force rebooted with volume-up + power. No issue on the XA2 Ultra.

My Android icons on both devices disappeared at first reboot and re-appeared after 2 minutes, but in the wrong order and with my stacked Android apps moved out of their stacking.

That said, it’s improved several other things for me, most importantly the mobile hotspot on the 10 III is much more reliable, fast, and stable. In general mobile data issues have disappeared for me and I’m really happy with it. I use two different carriers from different countries and I’ve found it works great with both. Overall, I’m happy with the update and I’m not complaining. Sailfish is getting better and better with every release and every new device, I’m just sharing my experiences with others if it’s helpful.

Xperia XA2 - Dual sim

1. same issue. but after several restarts this problem is gone. So far now the applications see SD card. Hopefully it will not come back.
  2. I have this feeling also. Specially there is no navigation app which works for me. There were here some advice to install pure maps. So I tried it and it end up with fail as expected. Here is the thread about Pure maps and OSM Scout server instalation. So far nobody answer it. Which comes to main point. I have OS on my phone without navigation. Well done !
  3. MMS never works for me on Sailfish. But I was at least able to receive it
  4. I had also problem with bluetooth. At beginning helps command “systemctl restart bluetooth”. Then it stopped to work. Then also helps “Settings → Utilities → Bluetooth restart”. Sometimes executed several times.

I have exactly opposite feeling

That is what I get from many posts and therefor I wonder why our experiences are so different.

I wonder about this a lot too. My Xperia10III was freshly flashed, strictly according to Jolla’a published instructions, to 4.4.0.72, then GUI OTA upgraded to 4.5.0.16 and then again to 4.5.0.18. No problems or errors, and the flashing, upgrading processes all exited normally with no forced reboots or anything. At that time it just had the stock apps and Sailfish X license. This should have worked the best of all. Yet no mobile data in Android at all, Office365 accounts keep locking up and need to be deleted/recreated on an almost daily basis, bluetooth way worse than before, browser keeps restarting coz maybe its run out of the 6Gb (!) of RAM, and so on. Basically the phone is in a worse state than before on 4.4.0.72. But others can upgrade multiple times from even as far back as 3.x, use patches, openrepos, muck around with config files, etc and they have none of these problems.

After Upgrading to 4.5
OKBoard had broken copy/paste functionality
I uninstalled OKBoard and then there was no keyboard at all!

Apps positioning in the appgrid was messed up

MicroG doesn’t seem to work, I have reinstalled it MicroG Core, MicroG framework AND FakeStore
I made sure all the checkboxes are ticked but Uber still says Google Play is missing!
If I can’t fix the MicroG/Uber Breakage I will have to wipe my phone and start again with Sailfish 4.4

So, so far the upgrade to 4.5 hasn’t worked

There is an update for OKBoard which fixes the copy/paste function. Restart your phone or use the Sailfish OS Utility to see your keyboard back.

Update the fakestore from F-Droid and install the latest version, not the suggested one.

1 Like

@pherjung thanks for your reply

I managed to use Storeman to get the latest OKBoard working
Using F-Droid I installed FakeStore (it said it was last updated 2 years ago) - I copied the repo and fingerprint from the MicroG website into F-Droid this afternoon
So Uber is still Not working

Yes, for me too. Also GPS not working correctly yet :frowning:

@Valorsoguerriero97 GPS works for me, on Xperia 10 III
What issues are you having apart from GPS?

Look here for right FakeStore version:

It’s working well for me on my 10ii. I also installed Google play services for the first time and that is working also.

@kaari the version of FakeStore I installed through -Droid was quite old, the version linked to in the post you provided seems to have worked.

So Sailfish 4.5 can support MicroG

Yes it can. My banking application works fine on 10ii. No nagging about missing Google layers.

2 Likes

Well, I use GPS a lot and had difficulties locating my position both with Jolla’s browser that doesn’t find GPS with google maps, then I’ve tried openmapps from chum still not working, only Petal Maps by Huawei works 0_p

PosteID in Italy unfortunately still not working on 4.5 :frowning: