SFOS 4.5 feedback thread

Bluetooth not working - it cannot be turned on (fixed with systemctl restart bluetooth )

Regarding your Bluetooth problem, you could try to reboot the bluetooth stack via: Settings → Utilities (located under Info) → Scroll to bluetooth section and click on the button Restart.
I think this is easier than executing it via bash.

1 Like

Overall it seems a good update, I am happy with it. But: sometimes my Xperia 10 dual sim goes bootloop, turning off and turning on by itself. That’s very annoying. Then, WIFI asking very very often to connect to certain network, like it lost it and re-find it. I liked the new battery anti-old feature. Wasn’t in SailfishOS since years, so can’t compare with older releases

I have this issue that WIfi and mobile network switch from the one to the other as seen in the upper status bar of the phone. During these switching network moments, android apps seem to loose internet and the browser also slows to a crawl.
Is there some CLI magic to verify which connection is used?

3 Likes

one like within two minutes should mean that I’m not alone seeing this behaviour.

1 Like

I still have network connection issues on the Android side unfortunately. For instance I can load web pages in the native browser but not in Fennec under Android, because the connection times out.

This happens intermittently both on Wifi and on cellular network.

4 posts were split to a new topic: No HW acceleration in video playback

Hello companions,
I did udpate 4.5.0.16 and 4.5.0.18.
I have Xperia XA2 - Dual sim
And I was on trip with this “miracle”.
Here are my experience:

• bluetooth not working - (fixed with systemctl restart bluetooth)
  • as you recommended I installed navigations app Magic earth and Organic maps.
    And it is completely USELESS. Freezing all the time. The apps were able to run max cca 3 min.
    Then they freeze.
  • flashlight doesn’t work. Start working after restart. But then bluetooth stop working.
    And “systemctl restart bluetooth” was not helping anymore
  • thanks God I had people with normal working phones (not sailfish !!!) with me, so we didn’t lost.
    And they were asking me all the time, what crappy phone I have ? What should I say ?

So my question is, when this will be fixed ?
Or is there some way to revert these last two updates (without reinstaling whole OS) ?

2 Likes

thank you for the nice info and explanation.
So we have jolla store, we have f-droid. but no, it is not enough.
We need some other repository …
Is there some “how to” install the pure maps and OSM Scout Server ?
I remember I already tried to install it via f-droid, and it was long, painful, buggy process with not working app in the end.

1 Like

Also have an XA2 Dual; Very happy with it.
I’d recommend you to reflash the 4.5.0.18.
Here, BT ant Flashlight are working perfectly.
I don’t use Android so much but noticed the freezing with Waze a couple of times.

About Navigation, there are some threads that could be useful for the XA2:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/gps-stopped-working/1181/664
Especially this post if you don’t mind using Google to assist your GPS:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/gps-stopped-working/1181/425?u=ric9k
And, hardawre wise:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/hardware-xa2-gps-trial-to-fix-it-for-debuging/10133

Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server are what I use for daily navigation. They are great IMHO.
But they are native SFOS apps. In that sense, installing the Android version (really exists?) of these apps on SFOS is useless/nonsense.
You should install them with CHUM or Storeman.
Then, if your antenna board is still healthy, you’d be able to navigate,
Even with no connections as you can download the maps you want.
Good luck!

3 Likes

I tried to install pure maps and OSM Scout server.
And encountered problems (I didn’t expect anything else).
What I did:

• Installed OSM Scout Server from Chum
  • Scout Server complained about missing fonts part. It was not found on chum, I found on Jolla store. So I installed it from there
  • After that OSM Scout Server is able to run. I download maps
  • I installed then Pure maps. That one from Chum complains about something, so i installed it from Jolla store (yes, chaos/mess with repositories. why ? )
  • Now pure maps reports error HTTP status code 500
    Why ? How to solve it ?
4 Likes

this is the first time ive ever had to downgrade permanently. i cannot get 4.5.x.x to be usable.

these are still broken for me:

• no Element IM
  • no bluetooth at all ever (restarting services and rebooting the phone do not help)
  • no sound in notifications (with ANY other notification of any kind)
  • cannot send MMS at all (receive works fine, send+receive works in 4.4)

this is a shame, because ive been waiting for the MMS ‘waiting’ fix for over a year now and its finally here, except the regressions make it unusable

ive tried: downgrading alien-dalvik on 4.5 (breaks too much stuff), and ive tried upgrading jolla-messages and mms-engine on 4.4 (doesnt fix the ‘waiting’ bug).

3 Likes

Bluetooth - Maybe helpful for troubleshooting, it seems to only affect 64 bit phones.

I can play music over a BT speaker using Xperia 10 / SFOS 4.5.0.18 without any problems using a (cheap chinese) standalone BT speaker that frequently failed on re-pairing on 4.4.0.72, but now pairing, playing music, disconnect and re-pairing without any problems.

yes, 4.5 is really bad upgrade :frowning:

3 Likes

Whereas I’m slightly disappointed by 4.5 upgrade of it not addressing some problems ( the no mobile data/invalid data status 4100 being one), I wouldn’t call it a ‘bad upgrade’. My experience is rather positive.

2 Likes

I have not faced problems with BT headsets or speakers.
Instead my car always requires restating BT via SF utilities, even after a fresh reboot. At least v4.5 brought back the device name in the car’s device list (car displayed empty name when paired with 4.4, and would require removal /re-pairing after each disconnection ). My car’s BT implementation is … capricious , so to say, likely tuned for some specific old iOS version only. So won’t throw the stone to SFOS for that.

I did find I had to delete and pair 4.5 anew to a recent cars BT

i have no problem with a release not fixing long-standing bugs. they’ll get to them when they can.
this release introduced SIX horribly painful regressions for me.

i cant blame anyone for calling it a bad upgrade

4 Likes

Two 10ii on T-Mobile USA. No obvious regressions or issues coming from 4.4. Bluetooth working, data consistency in Android is about the same. Most patches were easily ported. Battery life seems 5-10% worse, though the limit is set to charge up to 92% and resume at 75%. Sonar did not want to install without bypassing some dependencies. Call quality on VoLTE seems better and MMS is working very reliably lately.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Healing the broken system is unnecessarily complicated. The next OS update should not have this nuisance anymore.

1 Like

It was probably released to soon and without sufficient testing. I thought that was, in large part, what the early access releases were for - to allow a limited group of brave real world testers to flush out these serious bugs and regressions so that they could be fixed before the product went to general release. But, certainly for the last few releases of SFOS, the gap between early access and general release has been a week - way too little time to do any proper testing, and certainly not enough time to fix anything serious that might be discovered. The fact that, just a mere week later, the early access release is then put on general release with no changes (certainly the .xx release number has been identical) seems to suggest the early access release doesn’t really serve any useful purpose now.

5 Likes