Security code on sailfish

Hello! I’ve just flashed the sailfish os to my old Xperia 10ii.
I mistakenly set the security code with 4 numbers only, and the OS approved it. Now I cannot open the device because the security code must be 5 letters or more :frowning:
Is there any other way out than reflashing the OS?

Hello, the same thing happened to me. Only way is to reflash again

1 Like

…and please, file a bug report. OS shouldn’t approve 4 digits only.

Reported on March '24

2 Likes

Had the same problem on reflashing an old X10 with 4.6.0.13. Problem is IMHO that SFOS initially accepts a 4 digit code that afterwards doesn’t work.

Ok! Thank you for answers. I have to flash it again :frowning:

This also happened to me, but I was able to work around it by switching to keyboard mode on the lock screen, typing the 4 numbers and then an additional character to activate the enter key, and trying to press backspace and enter simultaneously. If you’re lucky, the keyboard will register the enter key after the backspace key and the phone will unlock. You need to try this several times since it won’t always work.

After unlocking, you should change the code in settings. You will be prompted for the code again and this process needs to be repeated.

2 Likes

or you could boot in recovery and change the code there with cryptsetup
probly should work

I was wondering that could it be changed in recovery mode.
But affe_null I was trying something like this earlier :smiley: I will try again, and maybe recovery mode after that. I’m not in hurry with this because I have another phone and a newborn child :slight_smile:

And please take away the 5 digit demand. 4 digits (or even less) should be accepted. It is not the SFOS’s task to take care of pin lengths and how much protection the user wants.

4 Likes

Disagree.

If a feature like storage encryption exists, it should meet minimum expectations, i.e. be hard to break.

It is currently trivial to break if the passphrase is short. Even 5 chars is too short, esp. if numeric-only.

But this is off-topic for this thread.

4 Likes

Disagree.
Even when we are speaking about security - I dont want that somebody’s opinions are limiting my possibilities.

3 Likes

Thanks for bringing this up.

I am not sure, though, how it happens. In my tests (4.6.0.13) I observed the following when setting the security code during the startup wizard (the 1st start after flashing the phone):

1. Numeric mode of the security code dialogue (the default)
  • the OK button (‘V’) appears only after typing 5 digits
  • it should be impossible to make a code having 4 digits in the lack of the OK key
  1. Alphanumeric mode of the security code dialogue
  • it seems that a code having 4 digits or 4 letters can be created
  • after the startup wizard when the phone is in its normal mode,
    – entering a 4-character code in the alphanumeric mode of the dialog works ok
    – entering a 4-digit code (created in the alphanumeric mode) in the numeric mode of the dialogues (the default) is not possible (as the OK key is not yet available)
3 Likes

It also seems that you can use a hardware keyboard to enter a code with less than 5 digits, and even less than 4 digits (at least in the startup wizard)