[SDK 3.10.4] SDK installation fails with both virtualbox (VM startup) and docker (cancelled download)

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: a) arch linux 6.7.9 b) ubuntu 20 (5.15)
HARDWARE: Epyc Server 7402 with OS in VM
UI LANGUAGE: en_US
REGRESSION:

DESCRIPTION:

Sailfish SDK 3.10.4 installation does not succeed on virtualized OS (a) arch 6.7.9, b) ubuntu 20 ).
Both approaches virtualbox and docker fail each the same way:

1. installation with virtualbox:
  • installer runs untill end, no problem in both a) and b) when virtualbox dependencies are installed correctly
  • both virtualbox-VM stuck during their bootup with the following error
Spectre V2 : Spectre mitigation: kernel not compiled with retpoline; no mitigation available!
measure - unreliable DMA position
Failed to determine block device of root file system: no such file or directory
  • as a comparison:
    the nearly same OS arch 6.7.6 running natively on a Thinkpad x260 (i5-6200U) has no problem at all with SDK/virtualbox
  1. installation with docker:
  • fails the same way with GUI installation and “headless” installation (which is not headless at all - you need libxcb, x11, …)
[36513] Created critical message box "archiveDownloadError": "Download Error", "Cannot download  archive https://releases.sailfishos.org/sdk/repository-3.10.4/common/org.merproject.mersdkdocker/2023.02.17-1buildengine-docker.7z: Error while reading: error:1408F119:SSL
routines:ssl3_get_record:decryption failed or bad record mac"
  • looks like openssl-1.1 issue, but:
    a) in arch 6.7.9: manually changing /usr/bin/openssl to openssl-1.1 did not change anything
    b) in ubuntu 20: openssl-1.1 is default → error occurs nonetheless
  • a quick solution with manual download of 2023.02.17-1buildengine-docker.7z and specification of the file location in installer would be sufficient…

PRECONDITIONS:

Both OS (a) arch 6.7.9, b) ubuntu 20 ) where SDK 3.10.4 shall be installed are virtual machines on an Epyc Server.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Install SDK with virtualbox and start “Sailfish SDK Build Engine” in virtualbox manually to see error in VM console
  2. installation of SDK with docker fails during download of 2023.02.17-1buildengine-docker.7z

EXPECTED RESULT:

1. running virtualbox “Sailfish SDK Build Engine”
  2. successful installation of SDK 3.10. with docker

ACTUAL RESULT:

1. virtualbox “Sailfish SDK Build Engine” stucks with
Spectre V2 : Spectre mitigation: kernel not compiled with retpoline; no mitigation available!
measure - unreliable DMA position
Failed to determine block device of root file system: no such file or directory
  1. installation of SDK 3.10. with docker fails with "Cannot download archive https://releases.sailfishos.org/sdk/repository-3.10.4/common/org.merproject.mersdkdocker/2023.02.17-1buildengine-docker.7z: Error while reading: error:1408F119:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:decryption failed or bad record mac

MODIFICATIONS:

Nothing beside necessary steps as described in Installation | Sailfish OS Documentation (virtualbox, docker, user rights).
a) fresh installed arch 6.7.9
b) ubuntu 20 not changed

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

You have two separate issues here.

First is running VirtualBox inside a VM. Technically, that works, as long as you have enabled nested virtualization in both your BIOS and in VirtualBox settings. Now, that being said, I also have to say that I don’t really recommend this, as it is going to be horribly slow. I would recommend using docker instead, if you just manage to get the second issue sorted out.

The second issue is the decryption issue for the docker buildengine package. Unfortunately the openssl error message does not really tell us anything about what went wrong. To me that does not look so much like an issue with the ssl library version, but instead a configuration issue, like not having a common cipher to work with.

1 Like