Scrolling and zooming in an email progressively hides its content from above

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100% (always)
HARDWARE: Sony Xperia XA2 - h3113 - h3113 - - armv7hl
UI LANGUAGE: Deutsch (user: de_DE, os: de_DE.utf8)


Scrolling long emails or zooming in in an email does not work as intended. The text gets hidden by a growing block of blurred ambience background.


Obviously you need a mail account and the mail app installed.


  1. Open a long enough email in mail app
  2. Scroll the text of the app
  3. Or: zoom the text of any email


Scrolling should just scroll the text without hiding elements getting in the way. Zooming in should just let the text appear bigger without hiding elements getting in the way.


Text was hidden


  • Patchmanager: yes
  • OpenRepos: yes
  • Chum: yes
  • Other: none specified


Same bug as in: Mail text not scrollable/covering text ?!
Device Owner User: defaultuser
Home Encryption: enabled

the initial version of this bug report was created using Bugger 0.9.9+git4

I cannot reproduce this.

Zoom in:

Maybe my mails aren’t long enough? Or it’s the HTML formatting? Or embedded images?

No, I just sent something like that to myself and it still works.

So I have 0% reproducability, while you have 100.

What about those patches. Disable all, reboot.
Or a switch to default (en) UI language? Seems weird but it’s all I can think of from the information given.

1 Like

Thank you for trying to reproduce and thinking about ways to solve this issue :slight_smile:
I disabled all patches and restarted the phone but to no avail. Also removed jolla-email-crypto-gnupg, as I rembered I had installed that somewhat around the time the bug first appeared on my phone, so guessed it could be related. But the bug remains…

Next general purpose troubleshooting steps would be to re-install the email app jolla-email* (and possibly its dependencies) and remove its configuration/cache directories (by remove I mean rename, not delete), e.g. ~/.local/share/jolla-email.


> pkcon search jolla-email| grep ^Installed
Installed    jolla-email-1.1.37-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl (installed)
Installed    jolla-email-all-translations-pack-0.8.1-1.4.2.jolla.noarch (installed)
Installed    jolla-email-settings-1.1.37-1.11.1.jolla.armv7hl (installed)

That is what I did:

  1. Deinstalled all e-mail related packages (as found with pkcon search jolla-email|grep ^Install,
  2. renamed folders .local/share/com.jolla/email and .cache/com.jolla/email,
  3. rebooted phone (just in case),
  4. reinstalled jolla-email.

Et voila, problem solved! Many thanks @ohnonot !

1 Like