Sailfish OS for Fairphone 3?

I’m trying to keep the hope alive for (at least) a community port of Sailfish OS for Fairphone 3. An ethical phone that’s designed with repair in mind (no planned obsolescence) running linux, what’s not to like?

It’s first in number of votes in the community port requests thread, am I missing something?

16 Likes

I confirm it could be a good idea to have Sailfish on the Fairphone 3. The full hardware adaptation should easier than on a Sony phone. After having bought a Xperia X and a Xperia 10, it is a shame that, two years later, there is no full hardware adaptation for the first one!

5 Likes

Ditto, I also jumped on Sailfish X with the Xperia X back in Q4 2017 and the lack of full hardware adaptation has been disappointing. With the battery dying and the phone suffering from digitizer issues & annoying ghost-typing, the Pinephone and Librem5 still being under development and far from a stage where they can be used as daily drivers, the Fairphone is the only viable alternative for someone who’s not interested in the latest hardware but repairability and freedom…

6 Likes

Has there actually ever been any comment from Jolla regarding this? I don’t find anything in the official blog

2 Likes

Yes, it’s annoying, being forced to buy a new phone every two years. I would prefer quality hardware and paying for the OS. Does anyone know if and how Sailfish works on a Fairphone?

2 Likes

Iirc there was talk about an official SfOS build for the FP2 (sorry, too lazy to search for evidence :wink: ), but it was scrubbed since Jolla and Fairphone couldn’t agree on terms…
So unless anything changed on that front, I would consider an official SfOS release for FP3 unlikely.

@rsoto, not that I know of. @Kea, there was a community port of the Fairphone 2 but the device is not on sale any more from Fairphone. Mind you, if you can get a 2nd hand Fairphone 2, all the components are still available from Fairphone so in theory you could refurbish it yourself.

If I remember correctly, the customer survey that Jolla conducted some time ago showed that even in this community, people want the latest hardware so I guess the partnership with Sony is the way to go for Jolla as it gives them a new device each year…