Sailfish on VollaOS

I just updated today. Does this apply still?

A small additional pain point, the branch https://github.com/poetaster/fahrplan/blob/SFOS4 produces a binary which crashes on volla but appears to be fine on other phones (includes 4.4 only calendar mods from @dcaliste).

I don’t believe the segfault has to do with the volla.

Since the last update to 4.4.0.68 (edit: it was 4.4.0.64 before) I have some big problems on the Volla phone. This bugs are Volla typical and don’t occur on the Sony X10.

On the Volla, Camera, Advanced Camera and Code Reader all not working since the update, no camera image, black screen. AC shows ‘Camera: 1 -1x-1’ on the position where the pixel resolution should be displayed, for one camera, and ‘Camera: 0 320x240’ for the other one.

Volume control doesn’t work any more. Volume is on a middle level and not changeable. Also screenshot by pressing both vol buttons at the same time doesn’t work.

Dead Beef Silica not working, starts, stucks and does nothing.
LLs Video player works and plays videos, but spinning circle remains endless spinning over the image while playing.

Waydroid changed it’s behavior. Emu48 app needed reinstalling.

Waydroid still conflicts with the network access of Browser and AllRadio, so that Browser and AllRadio has to be started by CLI or qCommand. (Not yet since the last update, but longer, since I have the Volla phone)

ShellEx no more working since the update (but did before), replaced by qCommand.

Can I do something? Any ideas or solutions?

All i can say: all works on my volla.

but i had a freash 4.4 installation, the upgrade did not went well
so i had to.reflash

1 Like

I fear of a reflash, because my Volla is very difficult to boot into the flash mode.

Last time - SFOS 4.4.0.58 was out from Jolla weeks ago - the UBPorts installer flashed some 4.3 on the Volla, and then I had to update a second time to the current version.

@pawel.spoon , I searched the internet and read somewhere something about a bug in the Volla’s bootloader, that make it difficult to enter flash mode at bootup, and also I had some dead green Androids on the startup screen instead of a functional menu in the flash mode. Also this menu is so tiny on the screen, and after a second it boots either the installed old OS or shows a dead Android and needs hardware reset. Last time I was very happy not to finally brick the Volla. So I’m frightened to try a reflash.

Do you know a way to check the firmware or reflash it, to be save it is OK and current?

I am on vaccation amd drunk :slight_smile:
yes i also thought i ve bricked it, what saved me was windows pc, and flash software that would detect volla via usb just like this…
i think i have described it in some thread here.

it’s here in this thread:

1 Like

Hello, I’m absolutely new to SFOS and I am definitely impressed. It’s very fast, responsive, feels like a new device. The camera is working, in UT it only made usable pictures from a given minimum distance, battery usage seems better, bluetooth appears to be working and and and…

I’d be really happy if the Volla phone could make it to the supported devices somehow…(who decides that anyway?)

@piggz Thanks a lot for this port!

Anyway, reading this, there is a way to install 4.4 right away? I am doing the update procedure right now because in the 4.3 version there was no way for me to set up my E-Mail accounts, it always got stuck in checking credentials. But reading that the update broke a lof of things for Seven.of.nine I am wondering now how it will end up here.
I have to say I am still very confused about SFOS links, archives, urls, there is something here something there but no real list where to really get something. So, how to install 4.4 from scratch without updating?

I installed it via ubports installer, which was broken for SFOS in windows (I used windows at first because in Linux the adb terminated itself without me noticing) it but in Linux it installed just fine then.

I never had any trouble getting into fastboot or recovery though.

1 Like

I haven’t gone to .68 yet (was on vacation), but to summarize, with 4.4.0.64 the ‘only’ bug I have is that the camera cannot record videos. Which leads me to ask @pawel.spoon , does you4 4.4.0.68 have the video recording bug, but not the lipstick screenshot bug?

I’ll try the update on my second dev. device today.

1 Like

You don’t need to install ‘from scratch’. Most breakage from 4.x to current has been fixed, bit by bit, sometimes it’s a package, sometimes it’s an underlying thing in the hardware abstraction layer (where there still seems to be a bug vis. video recording). I’ve done some re-flashing in the past, but it generally hasn’t been necessary, just useful for ruling out errors that may have occured while flashing.

I’ll try the update on a second phone later today. For reference you do:

ssu re 4.4.0.64 
ssu ur
zypper ref 
zypper dup

Don’t skip any releases, though. You’re on…? 4.3.0???

1 Like

Ok, just did the upgrade on a ‘clean’ Volla. Same problems. I’m assuming that .68 is just not ready for Volla? @piggz? We jumpin’ the gun?

1 Like

I am on .64 and will not update.till piggz says so

1 Like

Just for the hell of it, I reverted the upgrade :slight_smile: Nah, no one does that. Really, I’m back to 4.4.0.64 … Which has, only, the camera recording bug.

1 Like

That sounds like good advice for all of us :slight_smile: I had, falsely assumed that there had been a signal. Been on vacation. Drinking :slight_smile:

On Volla, 4.4.0.68 didn’t work, but 4.4.0.64 works fine.

edit: except recording videos using Camera + Advanced Camera app. These apps crash on stopping the recording.

@pawel.spoon mee too

already did that, thanks!! :slight_smile:
I am on .64 now and I can confirm, everything I was able to test so far is working perfectly fine except the mentioned camera problems. Also the E-Mail which was not working with 4.3. I am absolutely happy with that.
I didn’t even see there is a .68, but reading about current issues with that yet I see no need to rush.

Ill just add that there is no .68 build for the volla phones, i didnt think it was really worth the effort. Its quite possible that by doing the update you would remove key packages. The available releases are listed here Subprojects of nemo:testing:hw:volla:yggdrasil - SailfishOS Open Build Service

5 Likes

Functionalwise not.
7o9 just feared the fact that .68 is a stop release, i think

1 Like

Yes, i feared that. (20 charakters)

Does anyone know when video-recording worked/broke? Which version of sailfishos? thanks

1 Like

with 4.3.0.15 i can start video recording. on stop app hangs and will not store