Sailfish on VollaOS

Hi
i could not find anything on the net … so starting a new thread here.

i have following queries:

• sfos for volla phone is currently on 3.4, are there plans to update to 4.x ?
  • the proximity sensor seems not to work on my phone, am i the only one ?. screen does not get dark during phone calls with all the consequences, like touching buttons with the ear
  • i am using sfos as dual boot, so running it from sdcard - the system freezes approx once a day. i suspect that only the display driver goes dark, however i need to reboot the phone then. sometimes i need to reboot first to vollaos then back to sfos

Thanks !

I think @piggz is the maintainer of the Volla phone port, maybe he can answer here but that’s not an officially supported device, as you probably know :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. last week @piggz wrote this on Volla telegram channel: https://t.me/hello_volla/29814

It reads like update to 4.x is still WIP but that there’s no breakthrough on the hwcomposer issue,yet.

1. I have no issue with the proximity sensor. When I put the phone on my ear, screen goes black. When I take it away from my ear screen comes back and is operable again.
    The only issue I recognized is that I can’t change the volume for calls and speaker.

2. Can’t confirm. I don’t have any problems with freezing system.

thanks for the update.
in vollaos the proximity sensor works. are you using abm ? or did you flash sfos on the phone itself ?

I’m using ABM
Proximity sensor works in all installed systems (Android, UBTouch and SFOS).

bad, so something special on my phone …
… the freeze is imho a display driver issue. when scree goes black, i can make it light black (backlight on) by click on button and when i put my finger on fingerprint sensor i feel phone vibrating so it is not frozen. it just does not show the ui.

are you using patchmanager ?

started csdtool, light sensor and proximity sensors do fail

Ive seen some weirdness where people had mixed up repos. Are you on devel: or testing: ? (you should be on testing:) Im going to attempt a fresh port based on 17.1 and aarch64 to see if that gets us past the issues with 4.0

1 Like

thanks for the response.
i have now clue. i took the image that is attached to abm wiki. https://www.wiki.abmanager.tech/index.php/Install_Sailfish_OS
and i have no idea where to take it from else. can you share the link to repo ?

They shouldnt be advertising that image … try this one instead https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/yggdrasil-ci/-/jobs/1190022003

will give it a try now. thanks !
do i need to whipe the partition first or can i just install it over it ?
i did actually just reused the partition as is and now booting sfos ends in twrp :smiley:
booting into vollaos seem to work. so i have a retry, thank god

did now try 3 times and i do always endup in twrp :frowning:

Which volla-os version is installed?

PPR1.180610.011 dev-keys is build number
alps-mp-p0.mp7-V2.51_prize.p0mp7.k57pv1.dm.64_P7 is custom build-version

puh that was tough:

• needed to install boot manager, then only could create successfully a new sfos rom and use it.
  • uninstaller.zip, flash lk …
  • now i am on your recomended image

update: i can confirm that light sensor and proximity sensors are now working.
I had one freeze so far, when trying to create a new mail (or better) fix an mail account

Just a quick note that piggz’ 4.1 is working quiet well on Volla (and GS290) … I went (I believe he did too) with, install clean VollaOS 9, upgrade to 10 and then download the artifact at: run-build-lvm-devel (#1579744269) · Jobs · sailfishos-porters-ci / yggdrasil-ci · GitLab
Unzip that, run the flash script. Worked great.

I can finally do proper testing of aarch64 AND with SFOS 4.x

EDIT: Restore from backup didn’t get all the way through (People contacts were not imported)… but almost :wink: Since it’s never worked entirely for me, I wasn’t that hopeful :slight_smile: It did, also, after successfully importing gallery ‘freeze’. I had to hard boot the device.

EDIT2: Stability wise, everything is great. I did have to update from the devel repos but piggz has been fixing stuff constantly. thumbs up.

EDIT3: Like everyone else whose running 64bit I’ve now realized how many apps are no longer available … sigh.

1 Like

Q: How can I enable or perform update from 4.3.0.15 to 4.4.0.58 on a Volla phone? To be precise, it’s a Volla Phone, not a Volla Phone X.

I bought the Volla as used with Volla OS installed and could successfully install SFOS 4.3.0.15 using UBports installer on a Linux computer. UBports installer asked me, what system I want to install (out of 4 options, I choosed SFOS), and then downloaded and flashed in one process without asking me anything else, downloading SFOS fresh from the internet.

Also I made an own Jolla account for the Volla, and entered the cred’s into the phone’s accounts. Jolla Shop, Storeman and chum are successfully installed and working.

But the Volla phone doesn’t see the update in Settings/Updates. It still says ‘no updates available’.

How can I perform the update in another way or by CLI? Or have I to wait for an update provided by UBports and/or reflash the device as soon as 4.4.0.58 is available there? What can I do?

@Seven.of.nine you have to wait for port for Volla phone.
@piggz is maintainer of this port.

2 Likes

Updating can be done with ssu and zypper alone. But 4.4 isn’t out yet. When it is it’ll be:

ssu re 4.4.0.58 && ssu ur && zypper ref && zypper dup

Of course, you can do it one line at time to see if it’s going to work :slight_smile: And I just bother piggz on irc … oftc#sailfishos … but I haven’t bothered him about this yet …

1 Like

piggz told me he will work on 4.4 update very soon

2 Likes

What have I to do on the Volla phone if it’s out ? Will it work by Settings /updates like on Sony phone?

@piggz Many thanks for this wonderful port, it is really wonderful!!!