Sailfish Community News, 19th May, Xperia 10 III and VoLTE

Great to hear it @sviscapi :smiley:

I have bought my 10 III licence - thank you Jolla.
Look forward to making use of it soon ™.

2 Likes

Thank you @PeegeeTips. I hope your 10 III hardware arrives soon!

1 Like

Yesterday, I managed to install SFOS 4.4 on my Sony Xperia 10 III. Basically, it went smooth, but there were a few unclear issues. Perhaps the following can help to improve the instructions.

First of all, it was not clear to me which service level of Android 11 is best. Perhaps it doesn’t matter, as long as it is Android 11: then it would be good to day so. I recall that in the past it was recommended to install all the latest Android updates before flashing, that’s why I’m asking. In the end I updated to 134 and things worked fine.

Second, on the latest Ubuntu (22.04), perhaps already earlier, the Android fastboot package is called “fastboot”, not “android-tools-fastboot”.

Third, after flashing everything looked as described in step 7.11, but after removing the cable the blue light stayed on and no combination of keys could make the device reboot. After panicking a bit, I decided to try out the following: reconnect in fastboot mode and reissue the flash command. That command failed (as expected), but afterwards the device booted without problems. Something must have completed that didn’t before.

After using the phone for one day, I can say all seems well. All apps seem to run fine. Smooth user experience. Thanks to the Jolla team for a great job!

5 Likes

About that persistent blue led and unwillingness to react to on/off switch; for me “sudo fastboot reboot” did the trick. No need for reflash.

3 Likes

With help from a family member with a linux computer flashing went smooth. Jolla’s instruction was clear. When unlocking with Sony’s program I had to do Google’s ReCaptcha… Don’t remember that I had to do that formerly.
Positive: the system now works much faster and wifi connection is more reliable! Having more storage is also nice.

Problem: after choosing a language, Sailfish asked for a security code, which I typed. Then the screen froze. I only could go further after inserting a sim and typing the sim code. Encryption info says that the device is encrypted.
Installing fingerprints does not work. A new code is asked and nothing happens when touching the home button.

Problem : I installed Search Engines from Storeman, but no list appears in the browser app. I don’t like the ‘big four’ so I installed a Duckduckgo app from FDroid.Hope this is temporaily.

Apps: several apps that I used disappeared from Jolla Store: Tooter, Bible’me (where is thebootroo?), Unit Converter, Tiny Todo, Quicklist, Nieuwsfoto’s, ForgetitNot, Petals, Wifi Analyser and more. Some apps from Storeman cannot be installed, such as Sailfish Podcast (Pod).

Device: lightweight, that’s nice! It also feels good in the hand.
A negative point is readability. Fortunately Sailfish texts can be enlarged, thank you! Yet other texts still are very small. To my opinion the ratio of the XA2 was the best, together with the larger XA2+.

Thanks to the developers, I can go on using Sailfish!

3 Likes

Probably because they do not have a aarch64 binary at Store. Try Chum or Storeman.

About that persistent blue led and unwillingness to react to on/off switch

I believe instructions are slightly off: they meant to write “longpress the power button until device reboots”, as that’s how it’s been for previous devices.

There are e.g.two metronome apps in Storeman from 2014 and 2017. They can’t be installed because of no aarch64. So not one metronome app available.

Well, if you can find the source then maybe, just maybe, someone can help you build one.
That’s open source, sometimes you have to do it your self.

At least the names would be helpful. There is a wiki page at Apps that haven't been ported to aarch64 which I track and try to 1. alert the authors, 2. failing that try to move things to chum to make the apps available if they have licenses that permit. All help appreciated!

1 Like

Yes, by the help of Storeman Installer.

@SleepNicely, @throwaway69, @oroesler, without a proper bug reports, issues cannot be resolved, hence please file a bug report as described.

1 Like

@SleepNicely Is developer mode and untrusted software really on?

It was also not working on jollaC when I had to finally reflash @4.4.0.58 and both were on, seems like a utility mostly for jolla1 as rest can just download/install latest package and in both jollaC/XIII it did remove the installer icon when manually installing from rpm

@throwaway69 & @SleepNicely, your statements here WRT Storeman Installer are just mindless chatter (or even gossip), but not at all useful.

Oh great, where is the bug report stating the Storeman Installer version used etc.?

seems like a utility mostly for jolla1 as rest can just download/install latest package

No, the Storeman Installer is the recommended way of installing Storeman, for a couple of reasons.

Furthermore the Jolla 1 behaves exactly the same as all other devices WRT Storeman Installer and all other routes of installing Storeman.

and in both jollaC/XIII it did remove the installer icon when manually installing from rpm

Oh, really. :wink:
This is how it is supposed to work: Upon installing Storeman, the Storeman Installer is removed.

Yeah, but in both cases that’s the only part of the installer that worked sadly, so for me at least it seems like an unnecessary extra step that you can skip, as it’s unreliable (unless you have a device with older sfos version for whatever reason and need installer to figure out the proper rpm?)
edit: oh and sorry for no bug report, but after waiting 4h for all the sfos updates to go through on jollaC I was really in a rush to install what I needed to do what I was planning to do hours earlier, so stopping there to pull out whatever logs (if there were any) for an obvious bug… I assumed it was already filed

I had the same issue with the blue light, and also tried a reflash which failed but did turn the light off.I should note that I repeated the whole process a day later (starting with Emma flash to Android 11) and had the same experience then too.

No, Storeman Installer works many or most people.
I have received a couple of positive reports, when I asked for testing.

I assumed it was already filed

Lol, this is what all lazy people assume. No, there is no such bug report, except for SailfishOS < 4 (by me).

Consequently this is not a bug from my point of view, because no one ever provided more than “does not work”, which could be caused by anything. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Difference compared e.g. to XA2 was that the led did not turn off when USB cable was plugged out. Long press did not do anything. And when USB was plugged back in, fastboot still could see the device.

Anyways, seems to be temporary problem. To get sim slot 1 working (and to have mem card in slot 2) I flashed Android back (Emma, 62.0.A.3.109) and with 4 OTA rounds got 62.1.A.0.533. Next one would have been Android 12. I think I had 62.0.A.3.70 when I first time installed SFOS. This time led was turned off when I unplugged USB and phone started normally with longish power button press.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.