Sailfish Community News, 18th April 2024 - Xperia 10 IV & V

Excited to hear about Xperia 10 V support. How likely is the XQ-DC72 model (8GB RAM dual-SIM IIUC the differences) to be supported too?

4 Likes

No support as I can see.

There’s probably a lot more (under the hood) differences then you suggest.

2 Likes

Model XQ-DC54 would be a good option as well if eSim is supported and works with memory card.
Looking forward.

1 Like

Nope, unless you hack it yourself. I don’t believe it’s far that AppSupport other commercial components are available.

Like said stay tuned!

4 Likes

It’s nice that two apps are featured in this post tgat relay on GPS, but it’s still a problem that GPS doesn’t work properly. Waiting g several minutes to get a signal is much too long, geotagging of photos is impossible that way.
I really hope for a solution of these all-time problems, especially for the announced devices.
And also official support for the newly started Volla Tablet would be cool - or is it that complicated that two european companies team up?

4 Likes

(also, and)
This appears to be an underlying difference between the stock android GPS and the SFOS GPS (likely from AOSP), from XA2 onwards.
Since afaik it has never actually been acknowledged by Jolla and thus Sony, it is not unlikely that the 10 IV and 10 V will still have this issue too.

2 Likes

Sure, can wait a bit more, np! But also turns out SFOS still doesn’t support eSIM, which I’m currently using in my Sony Xperia 10 IV… Any plans / ETA on getting it supported? Also, back to dual OS install, can SFOS be installed as second OS is via custom recovery? If possible - I would definitely install it as second OS even without AppSupport / eSIM…

You could maybe write it to the Wiki

I checked binary files and documentation from Sony and all three versions from XPERIA 10 V have the same chipset and the same firmware files (sources). So XQ-DC52 and XQ-DC72 could be supported very well when one wants to do it. In the last pull request we can see only the european version. It could be a sign. Jolla doesn’t want to support the 8GB RAM version or They added only the european model because of populiarity. The other will be supported too. I need two sim cards and hope this point could be confirmed soon,

3 Likes

The better Question is:
Are the missing parts added and the old bugs fixed?
Like 4G battery drain or 5G added?
Useability of all cameras and so…
Speaking of my 10III

9 Likes

Don’t forget you still have access to Waydroid

1 Like

Or those are the models they can just go and buy themselves easily for internal testing purposes?

1 Like

Are both the 10 V and the 10 IV equally affected by those issues? Or is one of them less affected / more functional? Sony binaries for the 10 IV (Murray) have been available for much longer and there have been much more releases (updates) of them, so aren’t they in a better / more functional state than 10 V binaries?

1 Like

From the Jolla Shop:

Sailfish X is currently available in the countries of the European Union, UK, Norway and Switzerland.

TLDR, there’s no incentive for Jolla to make the OS available on the international models if Jolla doesn’t sell OS licences to non-European countries.

I’ve struggled to find much from a quick search but I assume the 10V variants can be extrapolated from this website which has a list of Xperia 1V variants. One covers Europe, the 2nd covers USA and Canada and the other 2 Asia Pacific. Again, that list is for the Xperia 1V - but knowing Sony they’ve probably split the 10V in a similar way.

The main issue is testing the basics, i.e. different bands for different frequencies. I’ve always had problems with smartphones not working when on a different continent, going back to the first time I went to Australia and had zero data when not on wifi because the 3G bands used by Vodafone Australia weren’t supported by my phone (which I resolved only by buying a Nokia N9). As time has passed it still continues to be an issue especially with 2G and 3G switch-offs happening. Many of old phones will at best only work for roaming on an International sim via T-Mobile (Wikipedia link, and the 2 sources for that statement don’t actually have relevant information but it’s still a possibility that even this will not be helpful going forward).

That and since I moved to the US, most of my old cheap UK purchased phones don’t support 4G so are limited to roaming T-Mobiles 2G network only. And even if the 3G networks still existed, plenty of my devices support bands used in Europe but not in the US so would be of no more use now as they would have been 10 years ago.

So while Jolla could port Sailfish OS to other models of the 10V, I just can’t see them being supported. They don’t sell to the US and the bands are different enough that testing is likely to be impossible without a phone that supports the correct bands and having an active network that supports those bands.

I am still hoping for a properly functioning camera in my 10 III…

1 Like

I’d rather utilize the Sailfish OS forum. We could create a separate Xperia 10 IV & V testing thread. One option is also to create forum wiki page from it.

8 Likes

You can find Camera 2 API development from here Issues · sailfishos/droidmedia · GitHub (issues labeled with camera2).

9 Likes

Thanks for the information.

However, I think this issue should have been taken care long time ago…it can’t be that after so much time, the problem is still there. Especially the slow focusing problem.

2 Likes

This was the issue with the privately imported Intex Aqua Fish which supports 2300\1800\850 frequencies, Bands 3,5 (FDD) and 40 (TDD) and was somewhat at odds with the Finnish mobile frequencies:

• 3G Bands: B1 (2100 MHz), B8 (900 MHz)
  • 4G Bands: B3 (1800 MHz), B7 (2600 MHz), B20 (800 MHz)

I remember lacking the support for 800 MHz was a bummer for me, a rural area dweller, but the phone still wasn’t completely useless.

I have let myself be told that Jolla C was the same device in every other fashion except that the modem has been changed to one that supports the European frequencies.

There are literally last few new 10 IV units still available where I live (which I assume doesn’t differ much elsewhere), so it’s the last moment when we can choose between the 10 IV or V. If any of those two models seems to be causing less problems with SFOS (e.g. the 10 IV because of having been twice longer on the market and having received much more binary blobs updates from Sony) it would be really helpful to know it. May I please kindly ask @rainemak or someone else from Jolla/yboys to answer the above question? Thank you.

(A few days later) Apparently, I won’t get any answer.