High battery drainage Xperia 10 III

As for the following quote from that blog post:

“the amazing effort Jolla’s adaptation team has put into making the Xperia 10 III run as efficiently as possible (back in December an early Xperia 10 III adaptation was was losing charge 31% faster than the Xperia 10 II).”

having never owned the 10 II, I cannot say how much faster the 10 III is losing charge compared to it, but it definitely continues to lose charge SEVERAL times faster than the XA2 Ultra (which has battery of almost identical capacity as the 10 II). So I dare to say that this blog post was way too optimistic, at least in the power consumption and camera department where nothing has changed.

Have you visually confirmed there are no high energy consumption android app daemons running in the background for SFOS?

I do not have Android app support installed. Location is off. Flight mode is on. Developer mode is off.

Good job everybody!
I am thrilled how people are investigating to get good battery life back to our Xperia 10 III!

As I read through the posts in this thread, it seems obvious that the bug/problem is somewhere deep in the system …and display brightness and Android app support have next-to-nothing to do with the underlying problem.

Would be nice to know if Jolla have had their own findings on the matter and might we maybe still get som Christmas present in the form of 4.5 :gift: :crossed_fingers:
I won’t ask, otherwise it’ll get postponed by 1 week again :woozy_face:

3 Likes

May I ask wether there are any updates on this topic?

This is a major bug as far as I am concerned.
Do Jolla’s phones not do this?
If so, why not reach out to people who can test it?

It also appears that it is suffering from XA2 type erratic GPS behaviour. It seemed to work when I ran a quick test a while ago, but trying it today:

The phone has had GPS lock two hours ago (so it should have downloaded the ephemeris and be doing a warm start), and a couple of km away. GPS has not been turned off. The phone has not been turned off.
It is sitting here on the window sill, with cell signal, 25 satellites, 14 of which are green or brown strength (in GPS info), and has taken over 20mins without getting lock.
Android 12 X10 III gets lock in <1min in the same condition (with no network, no wifi for assist)

Taking it outside under a clear sky, it gets lock in ~1min

This is exactly the same issue my XA2 had: The phone sees many satellites, and more than sufficient signal, but cannot get lock unless under a clear sky. Unlike the XA2 case, I have two X10 III’s to compare side by side, so the Android is absolutely not doing this.

1 Like

I used my 10 III with the HUD app the other day, it took over a minute outside to get a lock. It’s not speedy, that’s for sure.

Can anyone who has tried mods to fix drainage (e.g. @direc85 , @JacekJagosz ), confirm what the idle (flight mode) drain is overnight, now?
(i.e change in reported battery capacity after 8 hours in flight mode)

This may be a bit off-topic but I have a similar problem in Xperia 10, SFOS 4.4.latest and several previous versions. Phone is not in use, no SIM card, Android not starting on boot, flight mode on and phone just laying in the drawer. Battery consumtion is about 10% / day. Full charge lasts about 9,5 days without any usage expect checking the battery every few days. The problem must be somewhere deep in the SFOS system itself.

One week passed, asking again, are there any updates?

Would be nice to know too. Mostly interesting would be Jolla’s progress on this…

My gut feeling is that the causes are buried so deep in the firmware binaries that there’s nothing Jolla can do. I read somewhere that another mobile OS on X10III based on AOSP and Sony firmware binaries has similar battery life, which seconds that guess.

I suggest asking the question in the IRC meeting to get an official word for it, but I’m afraid the answer won’t be a pleasant one…

2 Likes

There was a test in a finnish PC magazine and Xperia 10 III with Android had a very good battery life in it. Are the AOSP binaries used by Jolla different from Sony’s own Android binaries?

Sony, at least, uses completely different firmware binaries for real Android than what’s available in the developer site. They are developed separately, possibly to counter some legal issues, which means the “open” team may not have access to same resources than the “Android” team.

Only Android is a first-class citizen, which is very unfortunate.

3 Likes

I started with the Jolla 1, a major, if not the major selling point for me is the efficiency/battery life. A nonpleasant answer actually would render the whole system completely useless for me, I can get the same, if not a better level of privacy and system control with Android, and can choose from a much wider range of devices. Very unpleasant, indeed.

1 Like

“Completely useless”? If you actually use your smartphone (that means connect it to mobile and WiFi networks), the higher-than-expected battery drain in pure idle mode does not matter at all.
Three days of online standby time are not too bad.

1 Like

They were not bad for my Jolla 1, that is correct. My Compact X already went almost 5 days, therefore three days of standby time with a smaller chip structure and a much bigger battery for me is a, how do the business people call it, showstopper. Especially if the Java crap does better. Seriously.

1 Like

oh, that would be very sad, because my Xx has had about the same battery life. I have hoped that I would reach +2 days after the same updates instead of ~1 day. :frowning:

I think the only way to test it for sure is to install Android that uses Sony’s Open Devices binaries, and see how the drainage is there. Best if it could be compared to stock Android too.
If the drainage is the same for both Androids, then it is SFOS’ fault, if it is much worse on Open Android, it is not. Simple as that.
Also, my personal experience. I never understood why this topic is such a big deal. When idle it definitely drains battery faster than my older Sony with Android. But also 10 III is the best SFOS device in therms of battery I have used. The Jolla 1 could be drained fast when under used, the X10 was a joke, I could drain in 3 hours with just a hotspot and a screen off, and 2 hours with screen off. The idle usage was also inconsistent and often I would find my phone hot and with dead battery.
And 10 III is maybe not as good as it could be, but it is really consistent, and I can easily get 1 day of very heavy use, and 2 days of light use, which is fine for me.
Could it be better at idle? Sure! But for me it is already at least consistent, and great under load. Maybe I got a golden sample, IDK.

1 Like

There are still people out there who actually buy mobile phones for being useful means of communication/navigation, thats why I initially went for Sailfish, it was hands down the best tool on the market, because it offered the most efficient package overall. Efficient in terms of being reachable/able to reach out and having the possibility to navigate and consult the web/internet when needed.

I do get the point that people nowadays live in their phones, up to the point where they cannot even grasp that there are other concepts of wasting your life, like living in your desktop computer. But I do not get why you people need to get in every niche where I reside, what do you need Sailfish for, what is your benefit from the system? Why is it better for you than Android/Ios/other niche systems?