Sailfish browser about:config on 4.4

Hello,
I am using 4.4 sailfish os with the updated sailfish-browser. I am trying to increase fonts displayed by the browser by changing layout.css.devPixelsPerPx in about:config. Unfortunately this works for the current browser session only and gets the default value after restart. The same applies to manual modification of /home/defaultuser/.local/share/org.sailfishos/browser/.mozilla/prefs.js. My next idea is to add proper line to user.js (as pointed out in the comment present in prejs.js) but I cannot locate “profile directory” where user.js should be located.

To sum up - Is it the desired behavior that you cannot make any permanent changes in about:config? - it was possible in 4.3 from what I recall. Do you have any idea where user.js should be placed as a possible workaround?

Best regards,
Karol

2 Likes

user.js should be right next to prefs.js, create it if it doesn’t exist.

user.js should contain minimal changes/overrides only so don’t just duplicate prefs.js.

The behavior of about:blank has also changed. In 4.3, a blank page is displayed, in 4.4, the error message “The address isn’t valid” is displayed. about:blank I used as a bypass for a mistake [4.2.0.21][Xperia X] First web page can only be in open mode, not in private mode

1 Like

user.js should be right next to prefs.js , create it if it doesn’t exist.

Unfortunately this doesn’t work. I have placed user.js with just one line:

user_pref(“layout.css.devPixelsPerPx”, “4”);

next to the prefs.js, the same permissions (644) and owner (defaultuser).

Your double quotes are typographical ones ?

It’s not about that double quote as far as I can see. That said, to solve / improve this we could write a flag file to $HOME/.local/share/org.sailfishos/browser/.mozilla directory to tell that browser has been started once. Thus, browser start do not need to update “layout.css.devPixelsPerPx” preference. This would allow users to tamper “layout.css.devPixelsPerPx” via about:config and changes would be persistent over browser restarts.

1 Like

But hasn’t user.js been invented for just that purpose? To keep persistent user-specified deltas to the system preferences?