Remorse timer layout

There is a patch, and I even promoted it on https://together.jolla.com/question/217059/remorse-timer-usability/?answer=217215#post-id-217215
But even with this patch installed your data is not very well protected from your own mistakes.

Yes, thats why I tried to upload my photos to my cloud via WebDav, I missed the menu string in the pulley menu (yeah, another VERY weak point of SFOS UI) and good bye, nice pictures.

So I can pay with my SFOS smartphone in the shops?

No you can’t.

You wrote "such as no NFC support " and there is NFC support in SailfishOS. But NFC is not only paying.
When you have NFC in your phone you can read NFC tags, Mifare cards. For example https://openrepos.net/content/slava/matkakortti

So

3 Likes

I would quit using SFOS should they introduce a trash bin or restore.
If I delete stuff I want it to be deleted and not sitting around wasting space.

2 Likes

That is as well a very personal opinion as the OP, just contrary.

I’d like a trash bin if it would have a configuration whether to use in settings.
(just like on Windoze where you may use it but if using substituted drives you will always immediately delete, just like when using cli).

And -personal opinion- issuing a rm -fr ~/.trash from time to time is not so hard as loosing some data, or?

4 Likes

Exactly. It’s just my personal opinion. I’ve been using Sailfish for years (and Maemo before that) and never had any issues with losing data so (at least for me) I can’t see the benefit of having to open the shell every time I’ve deleted something to delete the very same thing again.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree.
Never I would not say myself but very rarely.

I was speaking more as 'standard user’s advocate.

You can even write NFC tags with SFOS (if they support that)

3 Likes

If taking out my wallet instead of my phone at the checkout is the price I have to pay to stay away from Google I’m happy to do that.

5 Likes

I would quit using SFOS should they introduce a trash bin or restore.
If I delete stuff I want it to be deleted and not sitting around wasting space.

Any modern desktop OS distinguishes between trashing and deleting precisely because people have a tendency to accidentally delete the very thing they wanted to save.

It’s just my personal opinion.

That’s like saying “seatbelts in cars should be optional because I’ve never been in an accident”.

2 Likes

More like forcing cyclists to install seatbelts. :slight_smile:

For most people (at least all SFOS user I know) it’s a total non-issue and there’s no need to inconvenience everyone just because one person does not know how to use the remorse timer.

If someone wishes to transform SFOS into Android why not start using Android in the first place?

2 Likes

Erm,
which already happened
:smiley:

1 Like

Well, the problem is of course not really whether there is or isn’t a trash bin, but that the behaviour of the remorse timer was changed in a way that makes it easier to accidentally delete things. If they really want to stick with the new design, there should probably be some sort of mitigation for accidental deletions. Which, in turn, again makes me wonder: why did the remorse timer have to be changed to begin with? Of course new users weren’t going to know how it works, because no other OS has it and the little quirks (like not needing to wait until the timer ran out to continue what you were doing) were never properly explained. It’s like changing the gas pedal on a car into a button on the steering wheel because that’s more intuitive to children whose only experience with driving is Mario Kart and that way you don’t need to write an extra paragraph in the manual.

I don’t think there’s a trash bin on Android when deleting pictures.

3 Likes

OT, i am very glad to see you around (again) @szopin!

3 Likes

That is not quite true (anymore?).
As I was forced to use an Android device for business, please see screenshot of recycle bin (with 3 pics just made and deleted):

1 Like

I really do wonder whom do you mean with someone???
Please have a look a this one here:

and ping the right people to do the right?

I think that’s probably a feature added by the device’s manufacturer. According to xda-developers, Android 11 will have a recycle bin for pictures, but it won’t really be visible to the user.

1 Like

That’s totally true - by trying to dumb it down they made it much worse than before.

I love this analogy, hits the nail on the head rather perfectly.
Giving up on the “unlike” part and pondering to Android users made the UI more of a mess.

3 Likes

Like reverting to like it was before? Tap to cancel the timer or swipe it away to commit. Never understood why they added that X other than to make it easier for someone unfamiliar with SFOS to accidentally delete things (I’m with the original poster on this one).
I guess Jolla must have lost a lot of their UI designers back when they went almost bankrupt a few years ago.

4 Likes