[Release notes] Suomenlinna 4.3.0

Thanks.
You catched almost all :wink:

Still to be moved:

https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/release-notes-suomenlinna-4-3-0/8495/111?u=peterleinchen

1 Like

Same for me, this morning some applications started complaining that “Internet connection is not available” when on WiFi while others (Whatsapp for example) still continue to work. When using mobile data all of them seem happy.

2 Likes

I haven’t experienced the connectivity issue at all with 4.3, and only seldomly with 4.2. I don’t use WiFi at all ATM, so I think it’s time I start using it and see what breaks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The update went through cleanly and without complications. The camera app and especially the mail app start much faster. Thanks for this.
Unfortunately, this bug is still present.
The problem still occurs when mobile data is on and no WIFI is available.

1 Like

Hello,
any update about fixing known issues for supported devices?

1 Like

X10 II: indeed, I’m also noticing that 4.3 forces the user to become memory manager again. Native apps don’t seem to get auto-killed anymore (most notably, Browser), which causes foreground Android apps to constantly run out of memory. Slack may exit literally during typing a message, super inconvenient. Aqua Mail exits during message display, etc.

4.1 had this really bad, then 4.2 was a massive improvement, and have we regressed now with 4.3?

Android subsystem "AlienDalvik" reports isLowRamDevice() to apps - #7 by ExTechOp says “lowram” flag was dropped.

What if this is actually not an option :frowning:

Which is good!
I do not want my terminal session to get autokilled by some obscure mechanism.
Neither my native clock app showing time, nor other native apps like opened camera and other

Here, I may agree as this is one of the most memory hungry ones.
Maybe agree to mail and messages: but - as you pointed out- I often have them open in a pending edit…

It sure was the right measure to drop that flag: While some Android apps may use more RAM then, these will also exhibit their full (i.e., usual) functionality.

Specifically the “auto-killing behaviour” is completely independent of flagging isLowRamDevice to apps.

1 Like

I wait a minute or two before I turn mobile network off after turning on WiFi and vice versa. This seems to work most of the times. XA2, 4.2

1 Like

+1 to this. The mobile/wifi alteration connection issue was gone for a couple of days after the update but then started happening again.

4 Likes

“Remove or revert…
git-minimal
gittin
mapboxgl-qml
ofon-alien-binder-plugin”

What a bloody useless warning on the 4.3 upgrade:
They’re not apps I installed and can recognise, they components used invisbly by other apps.

I have absolutely no idea what uses them, so other than randomly uninstalling some apps i have installed we’re flying blind into this upgrade.

Huzzah!

5 Likes

Yea, after a few more days of use. I agree. I get alot of freezing most likely due to memory. 4.3 was great and fixed this now it seems like a regression. Its alot better than 4.1, there memory leaks constantly crashed my phone (to such an extent I nearly gave up on SF)

Right now this regression is an irritant.

Can somebody give me a hint how to remove those packages (git-minimal & gittin)?

3 Likes

I ignored it…and then the update process hanged around 100%. Had to wait until battery was empty. But now everything is ok…

Remove or revert the following
packages, as they may cause
problems during update:
    git-minimal
    gittin
    ofono-alien-binder-plugin

This is a “vanilla” XA2, initial install was v3.1.0.11 (Seitseminen). It received every OS update since in a timely manner. No additional repos configured. Weird.

I felt confident to remove git-minimal and gittin, however ofono-alien-binder-plugin gives me:
[root@Sailfish nemo]# pkcon remove ofono-alien-binder-plugin
Resolving
Testing changes
Finished [ ] (0%)
The following packages have to be removed:
aliendalvik-1.1.0-1.1.1.jolla.armv7hl Android App Support
aliendalvik-configs-10.0.50-1.1.1.jolla.armv7hl Android App Support configurations
ofono-alien-binder-plugin-0.1.5-1.3.1.jolla.armv7hl Radio interfaces for Alien
Proceed with changes? [N/y]

What’s going on here? Since I’m not on EA, I’m quite surprised that I find myself in a position to “fix” an ordinary update.

1 Like

@dmz You don’t need to remove the Ofono-Alien-Binder-Plugin, I had the same message on my XA2 (without the two git ones though). I tried to remove said package too, and ran in the same “these three must be removed too” warning too, so I let it be. On the first try, after selecting “install”, it aborted the update process (“try again later”) before it even began, after the restart (and a pkcon refresh - can’t hurt) the ofono-package warning was gone, and the update went through smoothly.

@Solidus Speaking of the Jolla Tablet, I had these two warnings too, but pulled through anyway (with one pkcon refresh for good luck :smiley: ), the update went through fine on the first try.

5 Likes

OK, I took the plunge, hit “install” (leaving the conflict around ofono-alien-binder-plugin unresolved), and the update went through without further ado. I’m on 4.3.0.12 now and even Alien Dalvik is working!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

4 Likes

Well, i removed the packages in the terminal:
[nemo@Sailfish ~]$ devel-su
Password:*****
[root@Sailfish nemo]# pkcon remove git
-minimal

2 Likes

After the upgrade to EA 4.3, I miss the simkit tools app icon on Xperia X.

4 Likes

My update process (XA2 Dual SIM):

Got the message to remove or revert a bunch of packages (most of them seemed to be basic sailfish apps, such as Deadbeef music player nothing vital to my eye, so I ignored the warning). The update went smoothly until it got stuck at 100%. The phone was unresponsive, so after 45 mins or so I forced a restart with power+vol up. It restarted just fine and the phone seems to work ok. I did notice that some of the app icons are not where they used to be, I’m not sure if so apps got uninstalled or if I’m just seeing things.

But Sailfish sure likes to keep me on my toes, with all the weird warnings and hick-ups during updating.

4 Likes