[release notes] Pallas-Yllästunturi 3.4.0

This now happens several times a day with my Xperia 10 - I have no such problem with the XA2:

1 Like

If the new incoming call interface stays (and I think it will, even if I see various complaints here on the forum), then the interface to dismiss an alarm (from the Clock app) should adopt the same style, for consistency.

1 Like

I there. I tried on mine, update showed, downloaded, installed but in the end it said update was not possible and i should restart. After that i went to info and it shows version 3.4.0.24. If i go to updates on setting is says “page not available”. Any ideas? Thanks

Regardless of updating Android app support, Xperia X would benefit a lot from updated kernel.

8 Likes

I remember reading the log of some IRC meeting where @veskuh (I think?) was describing the issues a more recent kernel (maybe it was 4.4?) for Suzu (the Xperia X hw platform) was giving the hardware adaptation. It was something about a timing issue that was caused by a disabled daemon. The blob released from Sony’s Open Device program contained this change. While on pure Android this doesn’t seem to cause problems, for SFOS it means random boot failures.
Take this with a grain of salt since I can’t remember where that log was referenced on TJC and I might have misunderstood the issue.

tl;dr: Unless Sony devs themselves help shed light to the particular kernel config issues, there’s nobody at Jolla who has the time to fix the AOSP kernel so SFOS runs properly on it. Kernel 3.10 it remains.

I would be curious though if any of the rom communities that ported thei Android spin to Suzu might be able to contribute (OmniROM used to have a very good version of Oreo based on Kernel 4.4). Maybe if the details of the problems holding back the HAL development were known, it could be worth a shot?

7 Likes

The screen of my Xperia 10 still goes blank for a while on 3.4.0.24 when decrypting the user data after I enter my pin. I think that the bug that:

• During the decryption of user data in device start-up, there is a period of 10-20 seconds such that the display is black
    Still haven’t been fixed.
    I flashed this Xperia 10 from Android using my laptop. Instead of upgrading from previous version of sailfish.

Finnish humor?

Last login: Mon Nov 9 14:36:26 2020 from 192.168.49.2
,—
| Sailfish OS 3.4.0.24 (Pallas-Yllästunturi)
'—
[nemo@Xperia10-DualSIM ~]$ uname -a
Linux Xperia10-DualSIM 4.9.221 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 14 20:53:56 UTC 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

[nemo@Xperia10-DualSIM ~]$ uname -a
Linux Xperia10-DualSIM 4.9.221 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 14 20:53:56 UTC 2020 aarch64 GNU/Linux

[root@Xperia10-DualSIM nemo]# version
Sailfish OS 3.4.0.24 (Pallas-Yllästunturi)

[nemo@Xperia10-DualSIM ~]$ dmesg

[ 0.000000] **********************************************************
[ 0.000000] ** NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE **
[ 0.000000] ** **
[ 0.000000] ** trace_printk() being used. Allocating extra memory. **
[ 0.000000] ** **
[ 0.000000] ** This means that this is a DEBUG kernel and it is **
[ 0.000000] ** unsafe for production use. **
[ 0.000000] ** **
[ 0.000000] ** If you see this message and you are not debugging **
[ 0.000000] ** the kernel, report this immediately to your vendor! **
[ 0.000000] ** **
[ 0.000000] ** NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE **
[ 0.000000] **********************************************************

5 Likes

It seems that 3.4.0.24 broke enabling signature spoofing:
[3.4.0.24] Signature spoofing doesn't work on a freshly flashed xperia 10 plus

The “fix” is to downgrade to 3.3, enable signature spoofing there, then upgrade to 3.4 but Jolla doesn’t provide downloads for old versions of Sailfish. With the amount of apps that rely on signature spoofing one way or another (through all of the google services,) this is a massive break for Android compatibility.

5 Likes

Because I missed calls, because of problems with Storeman (no installation possible, updating some apps did not work, while others like Fernschreiber only work with Pallas-Y), because GPS was worse than ever, I brought my XA2 back to Torronsuo. Now the device doesn’t accept the SDcard anymore. Everything gone, pictures, contacts, notes, documents. Formatting did not succeed. And not one radio app from Jolla Store works. It seems as if there is no connection to the browser. It’s a mess, to my regret.
A few years ago Sailfish worked fine and I could do a lot with it. Concerning GPS I can understand that the lack of a Mozilla license changed things. But the other issues are incomprehensible and hard to accept.

3 Likes

Hm, I did several resets of my XA2 and always enabled Signature Spoofing after running all updates. So Spoofing with 3.4 had been no problem…

Would you mind posting exactly what you did over in the other thread? Quite a lot of us are having problems so I’m wondering if you’re doing anything differently.

Can you read the SD card from a Linux PC, or from a Windows PC with ext4 support?

Perhaps. I still have a Mac, a quite disabled thing concerning SDcards etc. But I will find someone with a Linux.
The problem is that my XA2 seems not to accept any SDcard anymore. By updating to Pallas-Y and going back to Torronsuo I probably ruined my device. Rafio apps don’t work either, there is no connection to the browser.
I saw today that Jolla warned not to downgrade in their annoncement. To late for me.

Yes, but I prefer that vertical pulley menu. It fits logically in the whole system. And the swipe is more clear, because it gives a little push. With horizonally swipes there are no pushes.

I am sorry, what is this spoofing? How to do that?

Yes, downgrading is not supported, but flashing an older version from scratch should be. In the worst of cases, you could reinstall Android 8 to clean up the device and then flash again SFOS. I don’t think it is possible to break the device by flashing, other than bricking it of course, but Xperias should be brick-proof anyway since you can always start from fastboot.
However, please check if you can still read your SD card from another ext4-capable device. I don’t think it can have been erased. Most probably for some reason the downgrade process made it unaccessible.

Yes, thank you. l am just a clumsy ‘user’ who happend to like Sailfish for about 6 years. It seems as if it is becoming more and more a developers phone. Twice I managed to unlock and flash by myself. That was quite a victory, but it still is a mountain to climb on.

I guess you were just lucky. It’s far more usable now than some time ago, and especially the XA2 is the most usable SFOS phone I have used until now, and I have used Jolla, Jolla C, X and XA2 as daily drivers. Unfortunately it happens often that updates break something, especially for a frequently updated system such as Sailfish.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this happens on all Linux based systems, also on desktops, also on Android. And Win10 is worst.

1 Like

@fph have you read about this point on a roadmap for a future release? is it planned to make the swipe gestures the same for answering phone and dismiss alarm? i also think this should be consistend.
i haven’t updated to the latest version, as there are too much discrepancies.