[release notes] Koli 4.0.1

Could you be so kind and try again?

It works now!
The curse and blessing of working from home; publishing apps during lunch.

2 Likes

Which version have you downloaded? Have you installed microG?

I have Version 5.3.12 and microG installed. But it tells me that it does not find “Google Services”. And contacts are also not loaded.

Yes, it is 5.3.12 but I do not use Google services of any kind. Notification is slower but it works for me.

Bluetooth seems to be somehow broken in 4.0.1.45/48.
With the JollaC I can activate it, but no icon appears in the status bar. Searching for devices and transferring data works, however.
With the XperiaX, I was able to activate it a few times at random, but not at all at the moment.
Maybe it has something to do with: Failed to open RFKILL control device

2 Likes

Hi sailors. Would you have some time to look at my issue with account providers please? I cannot configure my existing accounts, see [4.0.1.45] Account configuration is not working Problem seems to be in close-source part of Sailfish, so I am unable to dig deeper…

@WT.Sane Last three days Signal has worked fine with both Cellular and Wlan so I don’t think there is anything really broken in the application. Since I fixed the situation using Sailfish tools only I believe there is a very small problem somewhere in Sailfish cellular data configuration for XA2. Something a reboot or restarting enough subsystems will fix.

:open_mouth:From which repositories can we download Signal?

I recommend to download from the official website: https://signal.org/android/apk/

2 Likes

I use Aptoide: https://en.aptoide.com
As it happens, I updated Signal to 5.4.6 a minute ago.

Is Aptoide a secure repository?

And I also see that that Signal address is not native to Sailfish, but to Android, right ? No native apps?

So far it has been as good as any Android repo. Always check what you are installing. Secure is not a word I would use with any Android shop.

1 Like

There is an unofficial native app with a lot of development activity underway. Have a look here:

You can download the app from OpenRepos:
https://openrepos.net/content/rubdos/whisperfish

1 Like

:+1: Thanks @cquence. Maybe it will end up being what I’m really looking for. I just installed Sailfish on my XA2 ultra two days ago, and for now I don’t want to pollute it with anything Android related.

2 Likes

I like your attitude @ebohoyod :slight_smile: Once I tried to do the same but not any more - it was just too much work. Now I have a Sailfish phone for daily use and an Android phone (pardon my Klatchian) that I use to run those Android applications that have none or not good enough native support.

I understand it perfectly. To be honest, I must say that my phone usage is very, very specific, in line with my idiosyncrasy, which I must also admit is very rare these days. So when I checked out all that Sailfish had to offer, I understood that it was made for me. Just to give an example:
Actually, installing Signal for me would be a frivolity these days. I use Telegram and, in fact, yesterday I installed the Android version, but I immediately uninstalled it, because its Sailfish client (Fernschreiber) meets my real needs with Telegram.
But yes, you are right. For most users, Android apps are still indispensable for the time being.

By the way, I also want to try Yottagram as a native Telegram client for Sailfish. But while I was now looking at the whisperfish case, I realize that I don’t know where to start with Openrepos. is there any basic tutorial for a newcomer like me? I don’t understand how I should install openrepos first, and from there on I can’t figure out anything either.

It’s a bit unfortunate to post this in the 4.0 thread, but Whisperfish is currently unable to register a new account on SailfishOS 4.0, due to [4.0.1.45] Regression in rendering of reCAPTCHA in sailfish-components-webview

So if you still haven’t updated to 4.0, please do register first on your 3.4 and then do the upgrade :’-)

You can download the “Storeman” application from OpenRepos, installing it would be either in the terminal, or enabling “Untrusted software” will allow you to install the file within the Transfers section of the Settings, or in the file browsers. Since you’re likely using your phone, avoid anything relating to i486. The current version is meant for 3.4.0.24, but aside from a few bugs, will still run in 4.0.1.45/48.

Once it’s installed, you need only select an app you wish to install, use the pulley to “add repository” of the user who made the application, and then you’ll be free to install the app. Adding a repository also makes many apps by that user available to download, and Storeman will monitor those repos when any updates come through. OpenRepos is generally used for software that Jolla can’t or won’t support in the native store since it may not follow Jolla’s store guidelines. It’s also a good venue for trying beta versions of programs that eventually end up on the store. As you mentioned Fernschreiber, beta versions end up on OpenRepos before they head to the store.

Certain applications cause problems when updating Sailfish, and some programs can break the OS altogether if they aren’t meant for that version. For that reason, OpenRepos and the Storeman app can’t be held responsible for anything that may break your system, or result in loss of data. Simply take precautions, check the descriptions and changelogs to make sure those programs have been updated or are working under your version of Sailfish.

2 Likes