Quick start guide v1.7.3.4

What’s about Aurora Droid (market), instead?

Aurora Droid market is something completely different from Aurora Store market, despite the name.

Right, it’s just F-Droid, even better

1 Like

‘pkcon install nano’ nothing more. I know that Fingerterm is the name of th terminal application. Inyour article it reads like you have to install it from.openrepos.

1 Like

I have correct it, after I realised it

UPDATE #4

• sometimes when the data interface changes […] Or when you switch from 4G to WiFi and viceversa. However, after the smartphone reboot or after having switched-off the airplane mode the SIM takes a very long time to register with the 4G network then it is time to read the fixing the 4G registration section.

FIXING THE 4G REGISTRATION

The first step you should do after having inserted the SIM into your new SFOS smartphone is to ask your network operator to send their mobile data configuration back to your device. Usually, you can do that sending a SMS a specific number.

This may be not enough in those countries in which 4G service is available but not yet very well established compared to other less performant protocols still alive with their own infrastructure inconpatible with the 4G.

Before settle down accepting to surf the Internet with a 3G connection or doing a manual rescue procedure every time your SIM needs to register, you might decide to limit your mobile data to use the IPv4.

A free VPN may leak data over IPv6

This can be a good idea expecially if you are using a free VPN service that tunnel the data over IPv4 but leaks those over IPv6.

To limit your mobile data over IPv4 proceed in this way:

Settings:System → Connectivity:Mobile network → SIM card

In the Data and MMS access points changed the Protocol from dual to IP. This should be solve the issue otherwise you have to deal with the Customer Service of your netwrok operator.

This should be fixed with the next OS update and the newest CLAT version. If you need CLAT to get a mobile connection, changing the connection type to IP can result in a total loss of the connection.

1 Like

Or solving a problem with some network providers. I will call them and will ask about. :wink:

What do you want to solve with your provider?

Unless the request is worked by the technical service there is no way to have a technical answer by the customer service. I need patience to escalate such kind of issue and once I almost resolved it, I am fine to wait.

A suggestion taken from their support web page is to install a modem config Android app and run it to tune the them connection. I found few of them but I did not tried them yet because it is not an ugent matter for me, anymore. However, it will be interesting to verify if an Android app can influence the hardware behaviour and thus the SailFish OS performance because this is a hot topic.

You seem to have missed the point: All APKs at Aptoide are potentially malicious, because anyone can upload anything there. Consequently any new version of a formerly benign APK at Aptoide might be malicious. Hence one shall not use Aptoide at all. All software at Aptoide is available elsewhere, because it only hosts APKs uploaded by users!

Furthermore the Aptoide client app has become a data collection tool long ago and Aptoide has been having multiple security breaches (including all user accounts credentials at least twice).

What’s about Aurora Droid (market), instead?

???
Aurora Droid is a F-Droid client app, which is unmaintained since spring 2021. Hence it cannot be used “instead” of the Aptoide client app, because it does not access Aptoide.

In contrast to that advising to install the Aurora Store app from F-Droid to access the Google Play store makes a lot of sense.

I am looking forward to that.

If you experience issues with the guidance for Patch developers, please file an issue, so your specific question(s) can be answered and / or the documentation improved.

2 Likes

Confirmed: “anyone can upload anything there.” was overlooked. Now, the UpToDown is going to be installed from its own website:

and about APToide, I suggest to not install at all.

Why Jolla put APToide in their market and/or they did not removed?

UPDATE #5

The new v0.0.7 patch is available on Patch Manager Web Catalog.

Probably, it works also on XA2 but I did not check that its original gps.conf is the same.

Cheers, R-

Have you ran some tests without AGPS? These fix times look very long to me.

Using a free UDP VPN that slow down the clock sync of the modem/GPS which is extremely important for such hardware subsystem and getting 30s in cold start after a reboot is a short time, IMHO. Without the patch, there was no hope to have a fix indoor. I did not tried suplpatcher but everyone who tried and I asked about did not gave me any numbers.

I will try later wihout the VPN on my terrace. Just to see how fast is when it meets optimal conditions, instead the worst. As far as I rember, also my Samsung smartphone after a reboot takes its time to gave me a fix indoor. I never take the time, obviously but it was long enough to be perceived. If A-GPS fix on SFOS performs in a way that I did not feel the lack of my Samsung, then it is good enough in dealing with the cold fix.

POST SCRIPTUM

After all the proof-of-concept has been delivered good enough to stimulate Jolla employes to tune it for the best. As an begginer amateur, I think that I did enough.

Suplpatcher for example is not needed on th X10iii. It was the only way on the XA2 to disable TLS in the modem because it is not possible to upload new certificates. On the 10iii TLS is disabled by default.

What’s about x10ii? Before setting the XTRA CA PATH, it was behave like XA2, indoor.

Thanks for the A-gps patch, I was too lazy to find out how to edit config files myself, especially as I don’t really understand what I’m doing

1 Like

I in my great stupidity installed aptoide and now I can’t uninstall it from app launcher, it keeps coming back. Would uninstalling from terminal work and what is the command?

Try to remove it from the Jolla Store. Instead, by command line would be something like this:

devel-su /bin/sh
pkcon search aptoide
pkcon remove aptoide (or whatever the search returns back)

I hope this helps, R-