Questions about the Jolla C2 Community Phone

When will we know when the 1000 Community phones have been ordered?

1 Like

When the 1000th phone has been ordered most likely, but in case there are only 999 community members interested in one, possibly never

1 Like

I believe there is a minimum number of units when ordering the C2 from Reeder.

Does anyone know if these phones come with mainline linux kernel or they just do like in sony xperia, and install the os on top?

What is the kernel being used in jolla products such as these phones?

Thanks!

Here is an answer for the C2:

<jojomen> 2) Does it run a mainline kernel?
<jojomen> 3) Which periferals use mainline drivers?
<Jolla> 2) No, it doesn’t run mainline kernel.
<Jolla> 3) No, it doesn't use mainline drivers.

https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2024/sailfishos-meeting.2024-05-30-07.00.txt

3 Likes

It is worth noting that right now even phones that has the best mainline support like the original pinephone or sdm845 based devices (e.g oneplus 6) actually runs ‘close to mainline kernel’ that has some downstream patches. They still not deliver all the drivers (missing camera, no suspend, wakeup from modem on calls etc). There is no phone (definately not a current one, sdm845 was released in 2018) that can be used as a daily driver while running mainline kernel.

Thanks for the explanation, so what kernel do the jolla phones (c1 and c2) run?

In what way is that relevant?

1 Like

It will most likely have AOSP under Sailish, so Android kernel, I guess

1 Like

Dual SIM (nano) + microSD

Does that mean, this is finally a device with a separate microSC slot, not overlapping with the SIM slots and allo three slots can be used at the same time?

2 Likes

To others it might not be important, but in my case, i would like to buy a product that is completely google free.

It might sound a bit exaggerated, but it’s the way i prefer.

1 Like

How can one be 100% sure of that?

Is there anyway to find out more about it?

1 Like

Please define “Google Free” and what the Linux Kernel has to do with it.

You are not going to find a phone that is capable of running Android (like the C2 very likely is) running a kernel without Binder for example. Which is Android-specific and coming from Google.

And that is also in the mainline kernel.

You also will not find a “mainline” kernel without any Google contributions in it.

2 Likes

Thanks for asking @sebix . Yes, there are 3 separate slots in the tray.

5 Likes

If you use the voucher you get €50 off from the price, so you and paying €249.

The voucher codes are delivered for each when final payment opens (by the end of July 2024).

1 Like

Dear @rainemak, I saw that you gave a status update regarding Sony Xperia 10 IV and V here: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/xperia-1-iv-5-iv-and-10-iv-support/11394/259 I guess many people appreciate the update.

Would it be possible to also give an update how things are progressing with the C2?

5 Likes

Yes indeed, we’ll provide an update in coming days.

16 Likes

This document got a new revision today. Two issues were observed with the removal of AppSupport. The document covers those issues now.

4 Likes

@jauri.gagarin.II et al., here’s an update on Jolla C2 Community Phone deliveries and status.

8 Likes

Thanks a lot for the update, very appreciated!