Progressive Web App (PWA) in native browser

Hello
I wondering how PWA works in current version of sailfish os.
Could anyone tried to run that kind of website and save the shortuct to desktop?
I have read also that browser is a litle bit outdated and mabye PWA could run on some android app?

1 Like

IIRC currently PWAs are only supported by the Chrome Browser so it is not supported by the Sailfish browser.
Sailfish OS supports to add a website shortcut to the app grid but this is just a shortcut to start the whole sailfish browser and load the weppage inside of a new tab.

1 Like

Chrome should be installed from F-Droid or flatpack?

Hey, this is actually related to more topics than this but maybe someone that is in the know picks it up and answers. What is the status or ServiceWorkes API in SailfishOS browser? According to caniuse.com, ESR60 has support for ServiceWorkers behind a flag, so this brings me to another question about the browser, how can we enable / disable feature flags in the browser? Is it even possible on sailfishos-browser in the first place?

Maybe I should just head to github with these questions, but might be good to stir up some conversation here also.

• A2HS ( add to home screen with icon from web manifest )
  • Standalone / Full screen mode for an web app that has been “installed”

I’d like to see all these PWA features on SailfishOS Browser as it could narrow down the apps gap & remove the need for android apps. (given companies will produce PWAs in the future as well)

Have you tried enabling dom.serviceWorkers.enabled in about:config? I have no idea if it works or how to test it, but I noticed that there is such a setting.

1 Like

Thanks ! I tried it but I had just made some updates to our PWA application and apparently I bumped too much dependencies as now it was totally broken on Sailfish Browser (globalThis missing and it landed on ESR65 ) :smiley: